Can I Tell If Original Spark Plugs Installed ?

Recently bought a 1997 ES300.

It appears very well maintained with just under 90,000 miles.

Going through the routine maintenance items to ensure it's up to date.

Pulled the spark plugs and they appear in pretty good shape.

They are Denso PK20TR11 plugs with dual side electrodes.

If there original, 90k is probably plenty and I'll replace them.

They look pretty good though.

Is there a possibility these have been replaced or are Denso a common aftermarket plug manufacturer (never heard of them out here in the pacific northwest.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jeff Hauck

Gresham, Oregon

Denso is to Toyota/Lexus what AC/Delco is to GM and AutoLite is to Ford.

Denso is the OEM for Toyota/Lexus.

I am suprised of the dual electrodes. I would think these are not factory originals but a "step up" on the Denso line of avaialble plugs. Maybe the T in your code is for twin. My ES calls for SK20R11 (no T) and the gap is 0.043.

Again a comparison, AC/Delco makes a $1.95 plug, a $3.95 platinum plug and a $4.95 RapidFire platinum plug. I wouldn't be surprised if Denso does the same.

the ultimate finding is that they are burning clean, toasty brown, not "wet".

steviej

Thanks for the good info, it helps.

I too was surprised by the dual electrodes, which is why I wondered if they were original or not. I figured they looked awfully good to have 90k miles on them.

Also appreciate the good info on the thread about red/green coolant and dexcool.

I had just drained and flushed my cooling system and installed standard prestone (green).

I don't believe doing so will cause any problems with my cooling system as long as properly flushed, but now I do wish I went with the dexcool as it sounds superior.

Jeff

you may not belive draining you system and swithing the coolant from red to green is no problem

but you will soon find out the system you have is not compatiable with green coolant

make sure you drop us a line and tell us how much it cost to replace every thing