Intake Advise

Wantomas

Im thinkin about adding an intake to my IS and was wondering is anyone has any feedback. Seems like the thread favorites have been the K&N fipk and the SRT. Also wondering if the SRT is worth the extra $$? Im not planning on uprading my exhaust, so if the intake wont be worth it, let me know. I gotta boy of mine willing to do the install, so difficulty is not rally a prob. Lookin for a lil extra HP without a big hit to the wallet.

-J

if you want to make a noticable increase in your HP, then you gotta open up both ends of the airway. Just doing the intake may look nice and change the sound somewhat but you probably won't see much more punch at the throttle.

look at it this way, what good is taking a big gulp of air if you can't get rid of it quick enough.

If you are looking for substantial HP gain, spend a little extra ducets and open up both ends.

steviej

• 2 weeks later...
Im thinkin about adding an intake to my IS and was wondering is anyone has any feedback.  Seems like the thread favorites have been the K&N fipk and the SRT.  Also wondering if the SRT is worth the extra $$? Im not planning on uprading my exhaust, so if the intake wont be worth it, let me know.  I gotta boy of mine willing to do the install, so difficulty is not rally a prob.  Lookin for a lil extra HP without a big hit to the wallet.

-J

I think you really need to consider an exhaust....there is nothing wrong with a used one and they are much cheaper.....more important is getting one that has the sound you want.....the stock exhaust is just so restrictive (as evidenced by how quiet it is) It actually has a spring loaded (very heavy spring as well) flap that opens under high exhaust pressure......changing my exhaust (L-Sportline, $200 on sale) made it feel like a huge relief of what was a major constipation problem...and they don't have to be loud either.

For power the SRT is it. My friend's IS dynoed at 210rwhp with an SRT, OBX headers, L-Tuned Exhaust....that's over 240 at the crank and it was a humid 80 degrees plus. I've driven another friend's IS with the SRT and the HKS carbon Ti exhaust and it pulls much harder than my car at the top end as well...both cars rev up faster than mine after 4K.......but my car has a stronger bottom end and is definitely better than stock at the mid/top.....so it's down to what one wants.....The SRT sounds great but it's also very loud. My Joe-Z is barely louder and dynoed at 8 rwhp with the stock filter.

The long pipe of the SRT is also not stainless or aluminium......it was rusting on the inside of a one year old one that I saw recently which is very bad news for the engine.....kind of defeats the purpose of having a filter. Perhaps that was just one badly finished example.

• 5 months later...

id go with the k&n intake fipk. because its a little cheaper i suppose, but i gotta agree with all these guys, u gotta open up both ends if u wanna increase anything a little better.

im saving up for an HKS carbon/ti exhaust system, K&N fipk intake.

but im not sure about the headers yt. anyone have any suggestions?

• 5 weeks later...

I just bought an '02 IS (on Monday!!) and would really like to add a cold air intake to it. I'm nervous about making any changes to her because the car seems so perfect that I'm afraid that I'm going to mess something up by bringing in too much air (without changing the exhaust)... an exhaust is something that I would like to do in the future, but in the meantime, is it a bad idea to just go ahead and add the cai?

Also, like i said, i would like to add an exhaust, but I'm very, very picky about the sound... I don't want it to be some horribly loud exhaust (I already have that on my '89 CRX and you just don't do that to a Lexus) and I definately want to stay away from that rice-y exhaust noise... I saw that another member was able to find a good one for $200 on sale, but I wasn't able to find anything under $500... and most of those were companies that I'd never heard of anyway. Any suggestions?

I just bought an '02 IS (on Monday!!) and would really like to add a cold air intake to it. I'm nervous about making any changes to her because the car seems so perfect that I'm afraid that I'm going to mess something up by bringing in too much air (without changing the exhaust)... an exhaust is something that I would like to do in the future, but in the meantime, is it a bad idea to just go ahead and add the cai?

Also, like i said, i would like to add an exhaust, but I'm very, very picky about the sound... I don't want it to be some horribly loud exhaust (I already have that on my '89 CRX and you just don't do that to a Lexus) and I definately want to stay away from that rice-y exhaust noise... I saw that another member was able to find a good one for $200 on sale, but I wasn't able to find anything under $500... and most of those were companies that I'd never heard of anyway. Any suggestions?

The combination of JoeZ intake pipe and Tom's stock replacement filter works pretty well, isn't noisy, and won't cause you any problems. Total cost less than $200.

JoeZ GenII Intake Pipe *Black or Polished Finish

http://my.is/store/customer/product.php?pr...1&cat=10&page=1

Tom's Drop in filter

http://my.is/store/customer/product.php?pr...7&cat=10&page=1