Rx400h Transmission Leak (possibly A Recall)

I brought-in my Lexus Hybrid Rx400h for its first oil change (5,000 miles) 2 wks ago. They never stated any problem with the vehicle. Now, they called and stated that similar vehicle came-in yesterday. They noted a leak on this vehicle and thought about mine.

Now they are saying that they would need to replace the whole engine next week when the parts comes-in. Althought this service is under warranty, I am worried of the future problems it may have after this replacement or when the warranty runs-out. Additionally, since hybrid is a new technology for this vehicle, there may be more problems.

Does anyone else have the same problem? What are your thoughts on this? Can they replace the whole vehicle?

A transmission leak should never require that the engine is replaced. I think you're getting worried over nothing much. My differential gasket in my Corvette had to be replaced (under warranty) and it was a task that was easily completed by the service technician in a minimum amount of time.

Relax and enjoy your RX!

I brought-in my Lexus Hybrid Rx400h for its first oil change (5,000 miles) 2 wks ago.  They never stated any problem with the vehicle.  Now, they called and stated that similar vehicle came-in yesterday.  They noted a leak on this vehicle and thought about mine.

Now they are saying that they would need to replace the whole engine next week when the parts comes-in.  Althought this service is under warranty, I am worried of the future problems it may have after this replacement or when the warranty runs-out.  Additionally, since hybrid is a new technology for this vehicle, there may be more problems. 

Does anyone else have the same problem?  What are your thoughts on this?  Can they replace the whole vehicle?

It isn't clear to me from your post what your 400h's problem is. You said that the dealership has said that a "similar vehicle came in." I don't understand. Are you having problems with your 400h (e.g., have you spotted fluid on your garage floor)? Or, did the dealership now acknowledge that they found a leak on your vehicle and did not fix it?

I also don't understand the leap from transmission leak to engine replacement. Surely your dealership owes you a better explanation. Regardless, this is Lexus that your dealing with. Toyota is staking its future (well, at least they are taking an uncharacteristic gamble) on Hybrid technology (see today's Wall Street Journal). One of their key strategies is that they need high-margin vehicles to be successful with Hybrids -- hence the Lexus Hybrids. So, they have too much at stake for this to fail and to leave a bad taste in our mouths.

By the way, I don't think the RX 400h is technically first-gen ("new") technology for Lexus/Toyota. A slightly new application on a bigger/heavier/more powerful vehicle, yes. But, not new technology. Indeed, it isn't clear to me that Lexus has taken all that much of a leap with the Hybrid technology on the 400h -- perhaps not as much as I would want. Marketing leap, yes. Technology? I don't know.

• 8 years later...

Same thing here. Car was perfectly fine. Took it to Lexus fro recall of power supply module (sits above transmission). A week later I have a transmission seal leak.Kicker, Lexus WILL NOT replace the seal. States too risky they will only put a new transmission I to the tune of $6000.

I have a 2006 400H with 105,000 miles. So I called Lexus Customer Care and they are going to pay half the cost of the transmission itself. (Not on the labor).

Have read a Toyota certified non dealer mechanic can fix the seal for $500. The local expert with excellent reputation here has never done it so cant quote me a price. (Makes me nervous)

Several have recommended Ammco so going to get an estimate. Bougt the 400H 18 months ago at a good deal. Has depreciated to $10,000 trade in value (Half) in 18 months. So upside down (Bullcrap) I cant even trade out of it.

NEVER a HYBRID AGAIN!!! Evrytime it's at the dealer it's "Well we cant do that because of the Hybrid, we have to do this." ALWAYS 10X more expensive than a non hybrid repair. Save ZERO on buying a hybrid, cost more upfront, more to maintain.....EXPENSIVE Money pit!!!

Back in the early 90s, my wife's Honda Accord's transmission died at about 60,000 miles. I had changed its fluid at 30,000 and 60,000, but the dealership told me it needed to be changed every 2 years or 30,000 miles. I then swore that I WOULD NEVER BUY A HONDA, AGAIN.

Are Honda Accords of that era, shoddy/poorly designed? No, but I used that single incident to blame Honda for years. But getting back to our RX400h: We bought it in April of 2005. At the time, 2 of my coworkers were driving RX330s and while they were nice vehicles, their 17 MPG fuel mileage was just not acceptable to me. Our RX400h was immediately averaging 25 MPG and eventually climbed to 26+. Fuel prices climbed beyond $4.00/gal (mid-grade), more than once, and never went back to the $2.50 we were paying, early on.

Fast forward 9 years.......Our fuel savings far surpassed any initial outlay of purchase price over what an RX330 would've cost. (which wasn't too much after the $2000 federal incentive.

. The only issue we've ever had with our RX hybrid during almost 90,000 of use was an intermittent CD player error message, which is fixed by cycling the ignition a couple of times. That's it - no other issues, at all.

Now if a dealership told me that a gasket leak could not be fixed by replacing the gasket, I'd go up the chain of command. Replacing the transmission makes no sense. Many gas-only vehicles are using CVT transmissions. They are simpler that the 8-speed grannies that are prevalent in many luxury vehicles, today.

By the way, Consumer Reports rates the Prius as the most economical vehicle of all recommended vehicles they have tested. Taxis in New York are used these cars and Camry hybrids, many with over 200,000 miles on their original batteries and transmissions.

• 1 year later...

i dont know if my experience with my 2006 RX400h is related to your issue. when my lexus had around 70k miles, i noticed

that the gas mileaged dropped to about 16-18mpg, also there was transmission fluid all over the garage floor.

i took it into the local lexus dealer, and they said "bad news, your transmission is broken, good news, its covered under

the power train warranty."

i guess the transmission degrading caused the significant drop in gas mileage.

lexus provided me with a new rx350 for a couple of weeks, as they had to send to canada for a new transmission

as the LA warehouse didnt have any.

kudos to lexus for a hassle free experience on this issue

chris

2006 RX400h AWD