1992 Es300 122,000 Miles

Yesterday I had 4 KYB struts put in. First time the struts were changed and a world of difference in the ride. Today I went to the Toyota dealership and got a 4 wheel alignment. Now suddenly, I cannot get the car out of park without simultaneously pushing the over-ride button and taking it out of park. It did not happen yesterday and only today and is now happening anytime I put the car from a gear to park, regardless if the car is running or not. I don't assume there can be a connection between the work that was done. What is going on and do I now need to worry about this. Thanks.

I certainly would appreciate an opinion or two regarding this problem. Specifically, what might be causing it and do you think it can be related to the 4 wheel alignment I had at the Toyota dealership on Friday. If so, I want to be prompt and go back to them today and not wait. Thanks.

Toysrme, first, thank you for your post. Do you mean that I am right that this problem has nothing to do with the alignment on Friday?

Also, how would I go about inspecting the shift overlock? Hopefully if not difficult, I can do it myself.

I spoke with someone who said it might be the shift lock cylonoid, shift lock computer or spring in the break? I do not have any lights on indicating a problem.

No you're right.

Inspect the shift overlock.

Looks like the Shift lock soleniod is the problem. I need to either clean or replace it. Does someone have a diagram as how to get to it. I assume the center console needs to be removed? Thanks.

Toysrme, first, thank you for your post. Do you mean that I am right that this problem has nothing to do with the alignment on Friday?

Also, how would I go about inspecting the shift overlock? Hopefully if not difficult, I can do it myself.

I spoke with someone who said it might be the shift lock cylonoid, shift lock computer or spring in the break? I do not have any lights on indicating a problem.

No you're right.

Inspect the shift overlock.

SKperformance, thanks. Yes, the break lights are working fine. I have no idea how to clean the shift lock (I thought the shift lock soleniod and shift lock were the same thing) and am looking for assistence. Don't I have to remove the center console?

It can be either the shift lock or the brake light switch.

I would clean the shift lock first if the brake lights are working properly.

When you know nothing about cars as I do, it tough (and expensive) and I am certain frustrating for you. SKperformance, as I do not know how to remove the center console cover (these were the directions I was looking for), I will start by spraying lube down in there. Is WD-40 fine? If not, what do you recommend. If this does not work and I cannot figure out how to remove the cover, I will take Toysrme's diagrams to the local mechanic and let him figure it out. Thanks.

Ya I caught the e-mail you sent. I don't have the factory manual on that, but here's what Haynes has to say:

1) Disconnect negative battery terminal.

2) Use a small screwdriver to pry up on the rear edge of the shift bezel to detach it, then lift it off.

3) Remove the rear console retaining the screws.

4) Detach the rear console and lift it out.

5) Remove the front console retaining screws, detach the front console and lift it out.

6) Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.

Console-I.JPG

Console-II.JPG

I didn't realize that was the set of directions you wanted hah! My bad!

Yes, thanks much. No guarantee I will be able to do it, but worth a try. Last question (I promise you). if I can't follow the directions, can I go back to what I "think" SKperformance said and just try to spay some gunk in the small opening at the bottom of the shift lever handle? On second thought, it does not look too difficult to remove the plastic piece per your diagram. What type of gunk works? WD-40? Silicone spray? When you have 2 left hands and a brain that refuses to deal with these problems, life with cars is not easy!

Ya I caught the e-mail you sent. I don't have the factory manual on that, but here's what Haynes has to say:

1) Disconnect negative battery terminal.

2) Use a small screwdriver to pry up on the rear edge of the shift bezel to detach it, then lift it off.

3) Remove the rear console retaining the screws.

4) Detach the rear console and lift it out.

5) Remove the front console retaining screws, detach the front console and lift it out.

6) Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.

Console-I.JPG

Console-II.JPG

I didn't realize that was the set of directions you wanted hah! My bad!

Sure you can try that - I mean seriously it's your car! If it's a stuck solenoid, that may loosen up wahtever has frozen it. The most common practice is to hit a solenoid if they don't trigger to see if it's stuck.

Ask as many questions as you want. If it bothered anyone, we would ignore it, or make fun of you.

Well, Toysrme and SK performance, despite your great help, it looks like I need to surrender. I figured the least I would try is to remove the shift bezel and not the console and spray some lubricant on the soleniod. However, the Haynes diagram must be different from my car. I cannot visibly see any clips to pry at the rear of the bezel and all I would be doing is chewing it up by forcing a screwdriver in there. I guess my soleniod doesn't like coke or 7-up! Too much sugar. While probably fruitless (at least without sugar) could I do any damage by trying to spray some silicone in the little opening at the bottom of the selector lever?

I want to commend you and the spirit in which you offered this help. I don't know if there can be any better aid to other people than that which is given with illustrations. This is great stuff.