25% Less Gas Mileage

I just had my timing belt and an oil pan seal replaced. I now get 300 miles on a full tank when for the past 5 years I consistantly get 400 miles. The car runs great, and unfortunately, I moved 2500 miles away from the dealer who serviced it, so I can't go back to them... 82,000 miles on a 97 ES. Took it in for oil change and they suggested the T belt and said I had oil leak... What gives?

But how could the timing be off enough to drastically effect the fuel efficiency w/o any ill effects? I've driven 3000 miles -- MANY exhaustive -- highway and city miles w/o so much as a ping or hesitation or idiot light or -- or... Sorry, I'm frustrated! Oh, the tires are new also -- filled to max psi on sidewall -- correct size -- hold air, don't lose psi...yokohama...

The service was done at the premier dealer in AZ, Scottsdale Lexus. Not that that makes any difference.

Toys,

I'm a very lightfooted driver (but more importantly my driving habits remain the same). Moved from AZ to NC. Mostly flat terrain both places. Mostly same driving conditions as far as highway/city ratio. I was thinking gas formulation may be different, but that much -- hard to believe. Would also think that more humidity = more density = better combustion = better power (or complete reaction)?

I've never counted 1mz-fe cam sprockets, or cam intermesh gears.

On a 3vz-fe the intermesh gears change the timing between the intake / exhaust cams 17* per tooth. They will run three teeth off very poorly, one tooth off will produce a change, but not an ill affect power wise. Cam sprocket is around 12* change.

One tooth won't kill it, but multiple teeth you start running into problems.

I would start off by resetting the ECU. Go pull the EFI fuse & put it back in. That way the ECU resets, but everything else is not disturbed.

ya man the first thing you should do is check the timing if it is out only one tooth then you could see this problem. i had a 98 neon i work on that had a simller problem. the customer bought it affter it had a majer service done (waterpump cam seals Tbelt trany flush and injetor cleaning) the car had lots of power and good respons. but it had poor fule mil and a verey small stumble decell from highway speed. affter whours on the scaner checking outputs and voltag i check the tbelt and it was out one tooth. now the reason it was out was the tenshoner was week and the belt would slip on startup.

I guess my question is going to end up "how much money do we think I'm gonna have to spend to fix this?" And do I take it to the dealer or local specialty toy/lex shop (seem to have very good rep).

If you typically fill the tank with 15 gallons of gas and your mileage really fell from 400 miles per tank to 300, it's equivalent to a drop from about 26.6 MPG to 20 MPG - a severe drop indeed. I'm surprized your car has the same amount of power and smoothness as it used to have with that severe of a drop. Your tailpipe emissions should be real high now if your car is burning that much gas. Does your exhaust stink now when you get close to it? Or is it still pretty much clean and odorless like it used to be?

Good question. I never stopped to smell it when I was getting good mileage either, but I passed the NC emissions test no problem. And no Check Engine light, wouldn't that detect undetonated hydrocarbons of that level? I'll give it a sniff tomorrow...

I guess my question is going to end up "how much money do we think I'm gonna have to spend to fix this?" And do I take it to the dealer or local specialty toy/lex shop (seem to have very good rep).

I would say it depends.

If the dealer who installed it got the timing belt off by one tooth, he should fix it at no charge. If the problem is something else, it could cost you.

I'd first verify that the drop in mileage is real - you'll need to know the mileage under identical conditions. Your original statement makes me feel like it may be a vague feeling rather than hard documentation.

Still, even with the feeling that the mileage had dropped, a good dealer would probably have a look at it.

Thats the problem here -- dealer is 2500 miles away otherwise it would be on his doorstep and I'd be driving a loaner.

This is a factual problem. 400 (425 max)+ miles per tank then, 300 (322 max)+ now. Reproducable with each fill up of 15-16 gallons.

I would call the shop they may own another shop in your new area my buddy’s dad owns over 12 dealer’s across Canada so there is a chance they may have another dealership near you new home. Many of the dealer owner’s in my area own more then one many in other province’s (just buy chance it doesn’t heart to call)

Thats the problem here -- dealer is 2500 miles away otherwise it would be on his doorstep and I'd be driving a loaner.

This is a factual problem. 400 (425 max)+ miles per tank then, 300 (322 max)+ now. Reproducable with each fill up of 15-16 gallons.

Heck, I'd just call your local shop anyway. Any Lexus dealer would honor the warranty on a new Lexus you purchased somewhere else, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask them to fix a car repaired elsewhere. You might call the other dealer first and ask them to agree to pay for the repair at your local dealer.

I sure hate to throw a monkey wrench into the problem..but could it be the Gas Formula from Arizona to your present location..?

I know there is a big difference between Colorado and other places in the us..maybe that could be a problem..just a thought..good luck.

Heck, I'd just call your local shop anyway. Any Lexus dealer would honor the warranty on a new Lexus you purchased somewhere else, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask them to fix a car repaired elsewhere. You might call the other dealer first and ask them to agree to pay for the repair at your local dealer.