High Stall Torque Converter Or Perf. Rear Gears?

I was doing some research on this topic. I know a lot of you guys are into the TC but by having the TC don't you have to spend more $$$ to have a tranny cooler installed? Also, isn't the TC only working up to a certain RPM. By replacing the rear with higher gears wouldn't you achieve the same if not better off the line acceleration as the TC but throughout the whole RPM range? Also, you wouldn't need to add a tranny cooler; am I correct? What are the pros and cons for each for those of you that have installed either or both. Thanks.

Nick

I was doing some research on this topic.  I know a lot of you guys are into the TC but by having the TC don't you have to spend more $$$ to have a tranny cooler installed?  Also, isn't the TC only working up to a certain RPM.  By replacing the rear with higher gears wouldn't you achieve the same if not better off the line acceleration as the TC but throughout the whole RPM range?  Also, you wouldn't need to add a tranny cooler; am I correct?  What are the pros and cons for each for those of you that have installed either or both. Thanks.

Nick

Do them both.A tranny cooler is cheap.Do you have any ideas of where your going to get gears?

I was doing some research on this topic.  I know a lot of you guys are into the TC but by having the TC don't you have to spend more $$$ to have a tranny cooler installed?  Also, isn't the TC only working up to a certain RPM.  By replacing the rear with higher gears wouldn't you achieve the same if not better off the line acceleration as the TC but throughout the whole RPM range?  Also, you wouldn't need to add a tranny cooler; am I correct?  What are the pros and cons for each for those of you that have installed either or both. Thanks.

Nick

Do them both.A tranny cooler is cheap.Do you have any ideas of where your going to get gears?

I believe RMM makes a perf. limited slip diff. w/3.71 gears. I think we have 3.25 gears stock or something like that. They want like $1600 for the setup though :angry: . I'm just to trying to understand something; I know by changing the rear (gears) will give you greater acceleration (.5 sec. off 0 - 60) but you will also ALWAYS be running at a higher RPM than stock. ie on the highway instead of 2500 RPM at 80mph you would probably be at 2900- 3000 RPM. Now what happens with a torque converter? Do your RPM's increase from stock at the same MPH (like the previous "highway" example?

Nick

I believe RMM makes a perf. limited slip diff. w/3.71 gears. I think we have 3.25 gears stock or something like that. They want like $1600 for the setup though :angry: . I'm just to trying to understand something; I know by changing the rear (gears) will give you greater acceleration (.5 sec. off 0 - 60) but you will also ALWAYS be running at a higher RPM than stock. ie on the highway instead of 2500 RPM at 80mph you would probably be at 2900- 3000 RPM. Now what happens with a torque converter? Do your RPM's increase from stock at the same MPH (like the previous "highway" example?

Good Question... I was wondering the same thing... Guys anybody wanna handle this question.???

t]

Good Question... I was wondering the same thing... Guys anybody wanna handle this question.???

My guess would be the answer is no, because the TC adjusts your flashpoint, and your gearing is unchanged (assuming all you do is put on the TC, and no changes to the rear end). I can't think of why you would run at higher RPM's at any given speed.

So lets see.... The stock specs for the GS400 0-60 times are around 5.9 seconds. I've heard from people, read, and seen on websites that the Torque converter can drop 0-60 times by .5 seconds. I also read on RMM's website that the 3.76 rear gears will also lower your 0-60 times by .5 seconds. IF YOU DO BOTH, does this mean your car will be running 4.8 - 4.9 seconds 0-60MPH; N/A????? If so I'm innnnnnn!!!!!! How much could all that possibly cost $3K with installation? Worth it!

No the torque conv. will not change your rpm on the road you will just be able to stage it higher.On the rearend have you thought about a supra rearend swap.Your stock ratio is 323 and if you get the right supra rearend youll get a 373.It will be alot cheaper than the rmm.

So lets see....  The stock specs for the GS400 0-60 times are around 5.9 seconds.  I've heard from people, read, and seen on websites that the Torque converter can drop 0-60 times by .5 seconds.  I also read on RMM's website that the 3.76 rear gears will also lower your 0-60 times by .5 seconds.  IF YOU DO BOTH, does this mean your car will be running 4.8 - 4.9 seconds 0-60MPH; N/A?????  If so I'm innnnnnn!!!!!! How much could all that possibly cost $3K with installation?  Worth it!

Im pretty sure you wont get a full second off your time. Although, that would be awesome. Plus if your willing to spend $3K, why dont you just spend the little extra and get a super charger and really be doing numbers?!

Now, I could be wrong about all this and maybe it can reduce your time, but the way I see it, I dont believe it will take the full second off, maybe .7 with both. If anyone else has some experience here, let us know :)

So lets see....  The stock specs for the GS400 0-60 times are around 5.9 seconds.  I've heard from people, read, and seen on websites that the Torque converter can drop 0-60 times by .5 seconds.  I also read on RMM's website that the 3.76 rear gears will also lower your 0-60 times by .5 seconds.  IF YOU DO BOTH, does this mean your car will be running 4.8 - 4.9 seconds 0-60MPH; N/A?????  If so I'm innnnnnn!!!!!! How much could all that possibly cost $3K with installation?  Worth it!

Im pretty sure you wont get a full second off your time. Although, that would be awesome. Plus if your willing to spend $3K, why dont you just spend the little extra and get a super charger and really be doing numbers?!

Now, I could be wrong about all this and maybe it can reduce your time, but the way I see it, I dont believe it will take the full second off, maybe .7 with both. If anyone else has some experience here, let us know :)

I appreciate the reply, I'm not too sure about the numbers either BUT, no offense, you would not be spending just a little extra for a supercharger. Superchargers (SRT) for the GS400's are roughly $6250 then your talking installation costs of about 5 - 6 hours labor AT LEAST; approx. another $600. So when it's all said and done you will be spending about $4000 MORE than the TC and rear-end mod. Better bang for the buck IMHO.

Nick