Checkengine Light

I have a '94 ES with 107,000 miles. The check engine light has been on for over 2 months. I bought a new Lexus gas cap which is always screwed down at least 15 clicks(I've read in other post a loose cap can trigger the light, so I always make sure it is real tight.) and before I bought the car the egr valve was replaced by my local Lexus dealer. I am thinking I don't have a real problem because my gas mileage is right on par with a consistant 18-19 mpg in the city. Also, I have read in other post that overfilling the gas tank(which I do at every fill-up) can turn the check engine light on. Lastly, would one of these code readers on ebay(like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...tem=2422460427) work on my '94? Any ideas on what may be causing this; I know it usually has something to do with an engine sensor, but like I said before my gas milegae is good. I applogize for asking another one of these check engine light questions :chairshot: .

I agree, get the code read. my guess it will be an O2 sensor.

If Autozone reads it and it is the O2 sensor, don't buy it from them. There are multiple O2 sensors on the ES and I have read that sometimes the Bosch (Autozone distributed) son't always have the right connector or the wire is not long enough.

Then take it to Toyota. Usually cheaper than Lex for something like this.

steviej

BUT, at any rate, get the code read.

Do you guys know if the '94 is "OBD II compliant." Also, do you all know how much Autozone charges for code reading? Thanks for the prior suggestions.

While I was driving my ES today, it started shuddering/almost wanting to die randomly at stop lights and while driving. My dad, who knows a great deal about engines(he completely rebuilt my brother's 3.0 V-6 [3vze] in a toyota pickup too), said it sounds like it's probably a vacuum hose problem or the charcoal canister. Does this sound like an accurate prognosis? I guess I should just go get the stupid code read, but I probably won't be able to do so until next weekend, so in the meantime this is killing me!

around here, it is a freebee from AutoZone. And yes they are OBDII compliant.

Your dad's diagnosis could be right on given the signs and symptoms you just posted.

Get it read. If it is the charcol canister.....your looking at about 4-5 bills including labor.

sj

Just an update: While my car was running we lifted the hood and sure enough there is this loud hissing sound, so my father and I are almost sure it's a vacuum hose; can that turn the cel on? I will have to get that serviced; thank goodness it isn't the charcoal canister or could it be? thanks again steviej and jpi. :wacko:

before you go for service, try to pinpoint the hissing sound.

feel along hoses and watch for abnormal air streams.

You may save yourself a trip to the dealer and a diagnostic bill if it is just a hose that popped off.

You found the hissing....look deeper. This is how we learn.

steviej

Steviej, I stopped at Autozone today and had them read the code(sure beated having to pay Lexus $100). While he didn't give me the exact code, the little machine read excessive egr flow. Why am I not suprised; the car had this problem before we bought it and it was supposedly fixed at the Lexus dealer. Do you think Lexus will fix it for free? The work was done about a month and a half ago. Does their work carry any kind of warranty?(I haven't further examined the vacuum hoses yet <_< )

Blake Like i said give me the code and I will have an answer for you in minutes. Autozone should do it for free. 92-95 is OBD1 and 96 and UP is OBDII. It look like the EGR but I need the code from you. Let me guess p0402? Email me with the code. Also i can get parts at a discounted price.

JPI

if you bought it from a Lexus dealership, then take it back to them and have them fix it (that is what your CPO warranty is for)? If you bought it from a non-Lexus dealership, you must have some sort of warranty, at least 60 or 90 days.

steviej

Steviej, I bought the car from an individual--not Lexus cpo program, but the egr was serviced at my Lexus dealer. I was just wondering if you knew if they warrant their repairs-incase the egr is defective again. JPI- they didn't give me the codes, but I saw the code reader myself, and it said "excessive egr flow"-my 94 is OBD II compliant. I hope I don't need to take you up on your parts offer :unsure: (thanks though). My dad thinks it is getting excessive flow because I have a lose vacuum hose somewhere(we can hear it hissing and it runs real rough[to the point where I can see the steering wheel shake]), and just can't find it yet.

i am worried you seem to think the 1mz-fe engine is not obd 2

jpi if you are a lexus tech or are you a tech who is not at a dealer?

i know the obd 2 became the standard in 96 and up vehicles but eh 94 1mz-fe was the actual first use of the obd2 plugs and codes

odd?

lexus does warrenty its service usually i think 1 year

take it back they will resolve it for you nothing to worry about unless tehy are 89 miles away

• 2 weeks later...

JPI, code P0402 is right on the money (I found it in my Lexus manual)! Maybe you can help me on my elimination process; I just bought an EGR vacuum modulator-installed it, yet the light stayed on after I dropped $85 for the damn thing. So, what are your thoughts on replacing the vacuum switching valve (VSV)? They seem to talk a lot about it in the service manual. The car idles quite roughly around 800-1400 rpms. We played with the vacuum hoses, so I no longer hear a hissing sound. How much should I expect to pay for a VSV?

no problem jpi

the odb 2 is supposed to be 97 and up but lexus got the jump and put it on there 94 es

the egr pipe can sometimes be cleaned as well as the valve

do that first to save some money and try to relive your problem

it is usually intermittent for the po402 which is egr excessive flow

mine also has that problem

jus tto lazy to fix it

sk, egr pipe....is that on the egr valve itself? I'm pretty sure my egr valve isn't dirty because it's only 2 months old. Where can I go to get the egr pipe cleaned?

i can't say whta the exact problem is as i have never opened mine up yet to tell everyone

one member a while ago said he cleaned it of carbon

causing the plate to stick open

the pipe is on the intake but it looks rusted

the pipe could use a cleaning and also the valves

i might try and run cleaner through the system just to see it it works first

This car drives me nuts :wacko: !!! Today while driving the check engine light went off, and don't ask me how either. This has happened before, and I'm expecting the light back in the next few days. The funny thing is the three or four times this has happened it was right after I filled up the gas tank <_< . Any thoughts?

Blake,

My thinking is that when you add the extra weight from the gas, your car must work slightly harder to pull it around. While doing this, it may burn the fuel more inefficently and cause one of the O2 sensors to trip.

Since the check engine lights usually have to do w/ emmissions, I would check all of the basics first if you haven't done so...like spark plugs, plug wires, and air filter just to make sure your car is running at tip-top shape.

Then if it still happens, you may have a faulty O2 sensor. <_< or something else like the catelytic converter is going out. (That'll probably cost more than my rear struts.)

good luck! :)

-Jimi

blake,

i had a similar problem or so I think ..... the check engine light came on and the lexus guy said that he would have to replace the charcoal cannister and the VSV switch .... you have a egr problem ...

when you fuel up, do you overfill your fuel tank ?? do u continue pumping gas even after the automatic cutoff ? i was told that overfilling your fuel tank can cause that check engine light to come on too ...

Just thought I'd mention my experience.

Maverick

Oh yeah...still no light(knock on wood). I should have worded that a little better...I meant that the light turned off after I filled up. Jimi, I bought the plugs; I had to get a bank loan first :lol: ; now I just need to go and change them. I'm pretty sure I don't have plug wires; I think I have coil packs <_< -do they go bad? I don't think my O2 sensors are bad; I had the code read, and they said that it is getting excessive egr flow. Maverick,From the sounds of things I think we're having the exact same problem. I've got the the defective part narrowed down to the two that you've listed, VSV and charcoal canister. I usually don't overfill the tank, but this time I did-I went a click or two extra after the first click. What did you have changed? My check engine light comes on and off from time to time did yours?...Tell me more B) .

I guess some how the computer got restarted(dunno how?) or something a few days ago because the light is back. It always takes mine two days to come back and grace me with its presence. :angry: