Fuel Needle

khan049

The fuel needle on my 94' LS 400 is not displaying the fuel level accuarately. For example, when I fill up the tank with gas the needle will only display the tank as being 3/4 full and only after 1 hour of constant driving does the fuel needle display the correct gas amount. The needle overall does not accurately display the fuel ammount. Is there a fix for this problem?

There is a guy Jim Walker who fixes the dark light problem with the LEXUS's. He also states how common they have gauge problems.

From what I understand when there is a problem with control board behind steering wheel it is either slow to move or it does not move..

He does a total fix for about 3oo bucks.

Good luck I have to send board for the light problem and he fixes the fuel same time.

There is a guy Jim Walker who fixes the dark light problem with the LEXUS's. He also states how common they have gauge problems.

From what I understand when there is a problem with control board behind steering wheel it is either slow to move or it does not move..

He does a total fix for about 3oo bucks.

Good luck I have to send board for the light problem and he fixes the fuel same time.

Had that EXACT problem in my 98, it was a fuel sending unit. After a while, it displayed No fuel at all, regardless. But in the first gens, its usually something in the cluster, because that problem was solved in later years.

I got my sending unit from swell for $60 and installed it myself, 10mins max.

Jim Walker fixed my board on the fuel guage and backlighting.

But I still have problems with the rpm gauge and speedometer. Jim told me that he is too busy to investigate the root cause of the problem. I wonder if anyone have a solution for that ?

BR,

V

The fuel needle on my 94' LS 400 is not displaying the fuel level accuarately. For example, when I fill up the tank with gas the needle will only display the tank as being 3/4 full and only after 1 hour of constant driving does the fuel needle display the correct gas amount. The needle overall does not accurately display the fuel ammount. Is there a fix for this problem?

grand ls is probably on the right trackthe sending unit controls the needle on the fuel gauge and when the variable resistor in the sending unit starts to go bad it displays those same symptoms the only way to know for sure is to take the fuel pump out

On the 93-94 LS's it's a bad capacitor on one of the circuit boards that causes this problem.  Replace cap C142 and you'll be in business, 4.7uf 25v.

Lexls is right. I suggest you read post #109959. While you are at it, replace all other caps and one transistor mentioned in the post. Gas gage is the begining - next thing will be flickering needles, loss of speedometer and all speedo lights etc. Do replace all the suspect parts mentioned in the post. If you prep well, read all instructions, buy the parts upfront, it should take you about two hours total - assuming you know how to solder surface mount tantalum caps!

that was the exact problem I had on the 94 LS4 I used to own. this is the fix:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...owtopic=5822&hl