Steering Rack Grommet

nc211

I just got my car back from the shop where I had new pads put on the front. I also had them replace the steering rack cushions "grommets". ArmyofOne told me a few months ago they're good to replace. When they wear out, the rack can bounce up and down on the chassis, causing a rattle and vibration throught the steering wheel. I had a vibration coming through the wheel, but not too bad. Well, the new ones are in...took 10 minutes to do...and it sure did make a nice difference in the feel of the steering. Feels tighter, smoother and no more vibration through the wheel. There are two of them, and they cost about $20 each. The part number is:

45517-50020 & 45516-50020. I highly recommend replacing these. It can easily be a DIY chore with no problems, I'm just lazy in the summer to do it. Still recovering from nightmares from replacing all the front suspension parts myself 6 weeks ago! :o

How hard was it? I feel a light shake in the steering sometimes and with 170k I am sure it needs it. WHat is the procedure like? I am assuming you have to jack the car up?

thanks

If you turn your wheel all the way to the right, then look from the back of the tire and follow the inner tie rod, you'll see the upside down U shaped metal bracket that goes over the rubber gromment. It's a little like the stabalizer bar bushings. It's two bolts for each one. I would figure if you put the car up on ramps, you could get to them easily! The part is #2 in the attachment. It's listed as an "insulator". You'll see the #3 part when looking through the wheel well.

post-15797-1119549314_thumb.jpg

I just got my car back from the shop where I had new pads put on the front. I also had them replace the steering rack cushions "grommets". ArmyofOne told me a few months ago they're good to replace. When they wear out, the rack can bounce up and down on the chassis, causing a rattle and vibration throught the steering wheel. I had a vibration coming through the wheel, but not too bad. Well, the new ones are in...took 10 minutes to do...and it sure did make a nice difference in the feel of the steering. Feels tighter, smoother and no more vibration through the wheel. There are two of them, and they cost about $20 each. The part number is:

45517-50020 & 45516-50020. I highly recommend replacing these. It can easily be a DIY chore with no problems, I'm just lazy in the summer to do it. Still recovering from nightmares from replacing all the front suspension parts myself 6 weeks ago!  :o

This is definitley something I need. Ordering the part right now. Thank you.

Can You guys give a little more info on the Rattle and Vibrations? Is it constant?

In My Case I get it when I am close to making a full turn. just a bit before the wheels stop. Example. Would not feel when making a left or right hand turn but would feel when making a u-turn or 3 point turn (not Always felt).

Items considered:

Steering fluid - it's half way on hot- maybe needs more. Will wait and see.

Tires - Since I don't always feel it maybe the rubber and type of pavement I'm on.

Now considering the steering rack grommet after reading this post. Depending on feedback.

Tote