Intermittent A/c Unit

GOXJR

I have a 1995 ES 300 with 147k miles. The A/C system in my vehicle works intermittently. It seems to work on cooler days (70 - 75 degrees F) however when the temp rises to 80 degrees F or above, the unit blows regular air. Last summer I had a mechanic check it for leaks and recharge it with freon (wasn't low but did it anyway). A/C seemed to work but still had the same problem. Frustrated I just rolled with the windows down on really hot days.

In my revived attempt this year to obtain help to fix the problem, I brought the car to another mechanic last month who said that the freon level was ok and there were no leaks. Ironically at that time the system decided to work (it was blowing really cold air...almost like new!). The very next day the A/C did not work. When I press the A/C button and set the fan to high, the blower engages and cooler air blows through the vents but after a minute or so the air becomes less and less cool. Not warm or hot just regular air. Please please, please advise on a solution.

Thanks!

I have a 1995 ES 300 with 147k miles.  The A/C system in my vehicle works intermittently.  It seems to work on cooler days (70 - 75 degrees F) however when the temp rises to 80 degrees F or above, the unit blows regular air.  Last summer I had a mechanic check it for leaks and recharge it with freon (wasn't low but did it anyway). A/C seemed to work but still had the same problem.  Frustrated I just rolled with the windows down on really hot days.

In my revived attempt this year to obtain help to fix the problem, I brought the car to another mechanic last month who said that the freon level was ok and there were no leaks.  Ironically at that time the system decided to work (it was blowing really cold air...almost like new!).  The very next day the A/C did not work.  When I press the A/C button and set the fan to high, the blower engages and cooler air blows through the vents but after a minute or so the air becomes less and less cool.  Not warm or hot just regular air.  Please please, please advise on a solution.

Thanks!

Back up for ya, since hot air sucks!

If you have r12, checked for leak via vacuum and that are fine; My next would say a compressor but you should have an error message. Did you try the self test on the a/c?

Sounds like the expansion valve. We had the same problem with my wife's

94 ES until we had the expansion valve replaced in April, 2004.

This is a very common problem on the mid-90's ES models.

We had ours repaired at an independent auto air service facility. It has worked great since that time. The cost was about $450.00. The Lexus dealer wanted $700.

Sounds like the expansion valve.  We had the same problem with my wife's

94 ES until we had the expansion valve replaced in April, 2004.

This is a very common problem on the mid-90's ES models.

We had ours repaired at an independent auto air service facility.  It has worked great since that time.  The cost was about $450.00.  The Lexus dealer wanted $700.

CUMan,

Thank your for the info. I will price out the expansion valve in my area and hopefully avoid another hot summer. Again, Thanks!

:D