Antenna Base Cracked -will It Matter?

ltd123

A garage door came down on top of the lexus RX 330 and broke off the top mounted antenna mast and cracked the base. The dealer wants 250 just for the parts and says fixing it will involve removing the headliner which I assume will add a lot of labor costs. My questions :

1. The radio doesn't seem to sound much different - how much will the missing antenna matter?

2. Does anyone know a less expensive (by a lot) way to replace this broken base?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Laura

It will be easier to tell with pics.

If the base is cracked you should atleast seal it back with some clear silicone with a touch of water to smooth it out with your finger.

This will prevent any water from dripping inside the car.

My 1999 rx300 antenna broke because (and of course i had to have the radio on at the time) i got it caught on a box i was hauling, and it bent. I tried to bend it back (wasn't easy LOL) and it just cracked. FM was fine, but AM seemed worse? I wasn't too sure. It was expenive to fix though!!! Under warranty...

Here are 2 photos that show the damage. The only part of the base that is cracked is the top part that receives the wand. I unscrewed the wand from the end that should be going in the base. sorry about the shadow- it makes the break look more jagged than it is

Laura

hmmm - seems like I can only attach one at a time

post-18586-1119029549_thumb.jpg

I can't seem to post the second pic - I have used up my "global space" with the first pic...

In answer to the question, the wand itself seems fine. The piece that came off the base looks like it would fit back in like a puzzle and is about one half inch long.

thanks, Laura