Malfunction Indicator Light

Hi all,

Maybe have to stop bragging about my ES 330 2005 car. Tonight the malfunction indicator light came on with only 7,300 miles.

Manual says to check gas and gas cap. All well there. Sigh, any thoughts?

Nope.

Take the cap off and put it back on. (I'm not sure on an '05, but just follow along)

Pull the EFI fuse out, count to ONE and put it back in.

Normally it's in the fuse box closest to the battery. (Look on the underside of the fuse box top. It's got a diagrham showing you what is what, and a fuse puller tool along with spare fuses)

You've fixed the gas cap (I guess) and reset the ECU.

If it comes back on I have no idea.

Hi all,

Maybe have to stop bragging about my ES 330 2005 car.  Tonight the malfunction indicator light came on with only 7,300 miles.

Manual says to check gas and gas cap.  All well there. Sigh, any thoughts?

Why bother trying to trouble shoot this problem yourself.......bring it over to your friendly Lexus dealer and let them worry about it......it's a free warranty repair. :)

Are we talking the CEL (little light that looks like an engine) or are you talking about the maint. reminder light?

I would guess it is the maint reminder light telling you it is time to change your oil.

The reminder is probably set for the 7500 mile oil change interval.

Either way, like Alan said, take it to the dealer. If it is the CEL, it is covered.

If it is the oil change, it is covered too (first change is free....at least it used to be).

steviej

Are we talking the CEL (little light that looks like an engine) or are you talking about the maint. reminder light?

I would guess it is the maint reminder light telling you it is time to change your oil.

Either way, like Alan said, take it to the dealer.  If it is the CEL, it is covered.

If it is the oil change, it is covered too (first change is free....at least it used to be).

steviej

No, it was the mafunction indicator light and it went off yesterday so I canceled the appointment. Had oil changed at 5,000 miles.

Either way, like Alan said, take it to the dealer.  If it is the CEL, it is covered.

steviej

No, it was the mafunction indicator light and it went off yesterday so I canceled the appointment. Had oil changed at 5,000 miles.

I made this post awhile back. It refers to a malfunctioning indicator light that happened to my car ONCE, and never again, so it was probably a fluke like you experienced. http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...wtopic=7583&hl=