95/96 Ls400 Idle After Highway Cruise

95LS400Bob

Please chose the closest answer. After 20 minutes or more of freeway driving and stopping the vehicle at a stop sign, My 95/96 Ls400:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Please chose the closest answer. After 20 minutes or more of freeway driving and stopping the vehicle at a stop sign, My 95/96 Ls400:

• a: Idles at 600 rpm.
    • b: Idles very low, close to dying but it doesn't.
    • c: The engine dies. The engine restarts immediately and does not do this again until another highway drive.
    • d: The engine dies unless I have the air conditioning on.

Bob, I have a perfect idle off of the freeway. I chose A. We've talked privately about what my car does a while back...if my ac is off, it'll idle arond 400, but it'll do that all day long with an unnoticeable idle, and it has never killed/sputtered/etc, so I thought A was a better choice. I've heard that adjusting a sensor or cable will correct my problem. My ac is on 99.5% of the time, so I don't see the point in repairing it. lol

'95 LS 256.5k, built 3/95....maybe the build date is pertinent?

:cheers:

Blake, I'm curious, does your a/c unit whine at all? mine whines as i rev up to speed. it quiets down once i'm out of 2nd gear and moving on along. just curious if this is normal or not. it doesn't sound like it's going to blow up or anything, just has that compressor whine, but don't know if it's normal or not.

Blake, I'm curious, does your a/c unit whine at all? mine whines as i rev up to speed. it quiets down once i'm out of 2nd gear and moving on along. just curious if this is normal or not. it doesn't sound like it's going to blow up or anything, just has that compressor whine, but don't know if it's normal or not.

About 2-3 weeks before my compressor locked up it started whining. :censored: Wasn't sure what it was at first but tracked it to the AC compressor. Sounds like the whine of a jet engine and varies with RPM.

Crap! :censored:

Yep, that's the sound, but it's been doing it for about a year. I read somewhere about replacing just the clutch pads in it? Well, we'll know for sure in a couple weeks. Heading down to southern florida for 10 days. If that doesn't break it, then I'm not gonna worry about it too much.

My engine idles at about 400 rpm but it never dies. Switching the A/C on raises the rpm (not sure by how much). Not very smooth driving at very low speeds (e.g. at parking lots)

’96 LS400, 123K.

Jacob

Crap!  :censored:

Yep, that's the sound, but it's been doing it for about a year. I read somewhere about replacing just the clutch pads in it? Well, we'll know for sure in a couple weeks. Heading down to southern florida for 10 days. If that doesn't break it, then I'm not gonna worry about it too much.

Run it till it stops. The AC light will start blinking when its had enough :cries: