Windshield Replacement

jim54perk

Damn, at least it was the glass and say not the hood. Where were you parked? If it got smacked at a country club or something of that nature they will pay to replace the glass for you. At least mine always did.

Anyways, yes the glass can be replaced by a quality glass company. In fact the dealer would just refer you out to a glass company or have one come in and do it there.

I would reccomend you use OEM glass though. The LS400 has an extra thick windshield and I'd personally be afraid that the thickness or tint on an aftermarket windshield wouldn't match up. My dad had the glass done on his old 98 twice, once OEM and once aftermarket and the tint on the aftermarket glass was totally different.

I had my LS400 windshield replaced by a local repair shop that purchased the glass through the Lexus dealer because they did not have a glass that matched the tint of the original. They did a great job, looked good a new when finished and it is properly glued in place with the right urethane adhesive which I believe is a requirement for the passenger seat air bag to work properly. BTW, a windshield replacement in the state of Florida carries zero deductible for replacement so there is no excuse for driving around with cracked or damaged windshields in the state of Florida.

Damn, at least it was the glass and say not the hood. Where were you parked? If it got smacked at a country club or something of that nature they will pay to replace the glass for you. At least mine always did.

Anyways, yes the glass can be replaced by a quality glass company. In fact the dealer would just refer you out to a glass company or have one come in and do it there.

I would reccomend you use OEM glass though. The LS400 has an extra thick windshield and I'd personally be afraid that the thickness or tint on an aftermarket windshield wouldn't match up. My dad had the glass done on his old 98 twice, once OEM and once aftermarket and the tint on the aftermarket glass was totally different.

I had my LS400 windshield replaced by a local repair shop that purchased the glass through the Lexus dealer because they did not have a glass that matched the tint of the original.  They did a great job, looked good a new when finished and it is properly glued in place with the right urethane adhesive which I believe is a requirement for the passenger seat air bag to work properly.  BTW, a windshield replacement in the state of Florida carries zero deductible for replacement so there is no excuse for driving around with cracked or damaged windshields in the state of Florida.

Thanks for the advice. The installer came out this morning with Toyota Glass but it had the wrong tint. I have a silver with black interior LS and it has a green tint on the windows. Looks like tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...