22 Hr Roadtrip In 98 Es300

Folks! This weekend, I am planning on a Looooong road trip from Omaha, NE to Hartford, CT (1400 miles) approx. I am moving and driving my 98 ES300. It has 125K. Last week, I changed the oil with Amsoil Synthetic + Amsoil filter. Do I need to check or be aware of anything else regarding my vehicle? Is it ok to drive my car continuously 10 hours a day (ofcourse I'll stop for gas and food inbetween). Please share with me if you have any thoughts or experience.

Folks! This weekend, I am planning on a Looooong road trip from Omaha, NE to Hartford, CT (1400 miles) approx. I am moving and driving my 98 ES300. It has 125K. Last week, I changed the oil with Amsoil Synthetic + Amsoil filter. Do I need to check or be aware of anything else regarding my vehicle? Is it ok to drive my car continuously 10 hours a day (ofcourse I'll stop for gas and food inbetween). Please share with me if you have any thoughts or experience.

I agree......make sure all fluids are up & clean. Tire pressure is a must for safety & fuel economy. Are your breaks OK? I like your choice of oil & oil filter.....nothing but the best for me too! :D Enjoy the drive! Been to Florida twice now (1500+ miles times 2 each time, including right down to Key West!). Can't think of a much better car to travel in. ;)

:cheers:

Thanks folks! Thanks for the valuable suggestions. I can't wait to set out for this long road trip! I read somewhere that if I fully load my vehicle (with household items and etc.,) and drive continuously at same speed (say 80mph) for 3 - 4 hrs on highway, it will be stressful to the transmission and the engine. Is that right? Do I need to take any extra care of my engine and tranny?

Unless you plan on hawling a boat I wouldnt be too concerned w/ carrying 4 passengers and a fully loaded trunk.  Have a safe ride.

I would like to top my radiator fluid reservoir. What fluid should I add? Just mix any antifreeze + tap water (50% + 50%) and add it to the reservoir tank??

Unless you plan on hawling a boat I wouldnt be too concerned w/ carrying 4 passengers and a fully loaded trunk.  Have a safe ride.

I would like to top my radiator fluid reservoir. What fluid should I add? Just mix any antifreeze + tap water (50% + 50%) and add it to the reservoir tank??

I have a non car tip. Do not travel on 84 or 91 throught Hartford from 3:30 to 5:30..unless you like grid lock and morons. :rolleyes: God, I hate that area....

Just check all the items everone has stated and maybe bring a car phone and some food for the drive....

husker just add water. I wouldn't be running a 50-50 mix of coolant in a warm climate anyways.

I would tell you to change the transmission fluid, but it won't matter. The fluid doesn't overheat just cruising around for hours on end. (unless you're towing)

I would suggest doing two things at some point shortly after you get there.

1) Change the differential fluid! Unless you, yourself changed it. It's the original fluid, and was probably worn out a couple years ago. A 22 hour trip isn't going to help that any! :D

2) Start replacing the power steering fluid. This can be done with a turkey baster by sucking it out of the res and replacing it with fresh fluid.

Both take Dexron transmission fluid. Might as well buy 7 quarts and drain the transmission pan too! =)

Anytime I take a long trip, I throw a 1L bottle of water, and 1 quart of oil in the trunk for good measure.

youll be ok, just bring food in the car and water, cuz ull get the munchies every now and again. i have done miami nyc about 4 times now, its a 1350k trip . my 99 es has 158k and runs just like she did when new. Dont worry you'll be allright.

1. Coolant and top off have already discussed in this thread.

2. Make sure your tires are at the proper pressure for the loaded car (it is in the manual). Don't forget to check the pressure in the spare....nothing like finding a dead spare when you get a flat.

3. Oil and filter: you've done that.

4. Tranny fluid, check the level properly and note the color.

5. Check the condition of you accessory belts, should be fine.

6. Pack away a couple of road side flares (just in case).

steviej

Tire pressure! Good reminder, that's the most important thing on this list, and we all forgot it! hahahahaha!

Toyota/Lexus of Europe recommend 38psi all around for long highway driving, and driving above 90mph. I just run that all the time. Better gas mileage, and 32 is too low anyways. :\

Tire pressure! Good reminder, that's the most important thing on this list, and we all forgot it! hahahahaha!

Toyota/Lexus of Europe recommend 38psi all around for long highway driving, and driving above 90mph. I just run that all the time. Better gas mileage, and 32 is too low anyways. :\

There is no “one tire pressure” good for all cars. Can’t speed in Hartford either.

Aside from what everyone else recommended, be sure to bring a good map, first aid kit, and pen/paper for notes. Also make sure your cell phone coverage is OK and you're not going to get charged a fortune for roaming (or just don't use it other than an emergency if you have to pay roaming).

The only other recommendation I have is that if you can afford the time, take your time and don't rush through. There are lots of nice things to see between Omaha and Hartford. If you can add a day or two, you can make the trip a lot more enjoyable.

I remember my first cross country road trip. Ithaca, NY to San Francisco - in a 1986 Honda Civic. Aside from the tiny size of this car, I had to keep a case of oil in the back seat since we were stopping every hour to add oil (I managed between 60 and 80 miles per quart). :-)

Have fun.

I would suggest doing two things at some point shortly after you get there.

1) Change the differential fluid! Unless you, yourself changed it. It's the original fluid, and was probably worn out  a couple years ago. A 22 hour trip isn't going to help that any! :D

We have a differential? :blink: Never saw that in my owners manual :whistles: If we do, I assume it is covered when we change the tranny fluid anyways & takes Toyota type IV fluid or equivlent? :huh:

& btw, if the trip is all highway (or let's say mostly highway) it's not hard on the engine or tranny as long as no towing is involved. ;) Safe journey! :)

Well there isn't any mechanical differances.

They suggest 32 all around just like JDM, Asian market, AUS, and NA ones do. They're just the only ones to recommend that because it's the only place where it's legal.

No, what I was saying is that the factory recommends on the Camry/ES's in 38psi Europe.

Again, I agree 100%. The point I was trying to make is that what happens overseas does not matter to a hill of beans here in this country. Also tire pressures, from what I have found, vary by tire. The sticker on the car or in the book does not know what tire size is even on the car/truck.

I also agree on the diff fluid drain; but the diff and the tranny fluid are all in the same system (not seperate). You even fill them both at the same place (through the dip stick) but drain seperate. So if you do not drain the diff, when you drain the tranny the fluid, 85% comes out (not all comes out). When you fill with new fluid it all mixes. Plus the amount it holds, is very small. My last diff change at 45K miles on it, it smelled and looked as the day I put in the ATF fluid.