92es300 White Smoke, Gas Smell?

I have a 1992 ES300 and the engine will start up but it will smoke a lot of white smoke once started then it will smoke a little less but still alot and putter out of the tailpipes it also has a very strong gas smell. The engine seems like it is missing or boggeling because it will idle at like normal for a few seconds once started then it slowly backs down to 650 or so like it is about to die.

Before any of this happend the car was running fine and nothing was touched this happened suddenly one day and now my car is down :angry:

I thought it may have been because the spark plugs or cylinders wern't firing and when I took the plugs that I just changed out in December they were black so I changed out the cap, rotor, wires, and spark plugs, it doesen't overheat, and the coolant seems to still be full not milky and the oil is not milky either its still to the mark. I changed all that, but it still runs with white smoke, a crappy idle, and with the smell of gas.

My only conclusion could be because of the injectors under the manifold closest to the firewall, i'm thinking maybe 1 or 2 of them are stuck open and shooting too much gas??

Anyone have any suggestions or solutions?

Aloha,

Sounds like you got diesel mixed in with your gas. Will cause it to run like junk, foul plugs and smell real bad out the exhaust. Take a fuel sample. Happened to a neighbor and 5 other people who used the same gas station on the WRONG DAY.

Sounds like you got diesel mixed in with your gas. Will cause it to run like junk, foul plugs and smell real bad out the exhaust. Take a fuel sample. Happened to a neighbor and 5 other people who used the same gas station on the WRONG DAY.

Thanks for the reply, however I double checked the gas in the tank and it smells like regular gas. My friend told me I would know by the smell if it was diesel or not because they smell really different, said it would smell like jet fuel and not the normal gasoline smell.

Thanks,

I would agree with a stuck injector.

Try disconnecting each one by one to determine the problem one or cylinder atleast

Thanks guys for the replys.

Well, with the 1992 ES300's The 3 injectors are located under the intake manifold. The whole manifold along with the airbox, various vaccume lines, fuel lines, clips, and connectors must come off.

I was hoping this is not the problem because it is a pain in the but, but as you suggested to do one at a time I am guessing that the bad injector is on the back head. I have to take everything off to get to the injectors and I can't start the car because the manifold is off. I will try taking the back 3 and switching them with the front 3 and go from there. I was hoping for another solution before it came down to this but this seems like my only hope for a fix!

Side note: I would suggest to anyone with a 1992 ES to change the head cover gasket located closest to the firewall along with cam seals and the distributor o ring because the manifold is a pain to take off.

If anyone has any other helpfull solutions before I do this please let me know!

Aloha,

It normally is black smoke for partially combusted gas

But when an injector sticks open it sprays so much gas out that harly any of it burns.

I found this out with my wifes car which confused the hell out of me,

i still say check the injectors

Can't you disconnect just the wire to the injector without massive removal of parts?

For the front head yes, as for the back head it's quite difficult without removing the plenum because the back 3 injectors are under that mass.

I was thinking about checking the front with a long screw driver, and if they were all good, swapping them with the ones in the back and then checking the ones in the front that were originally in the back. I will try that tomorrow morning I was too exhausted from my 8am class this morning to be fixing a car :chairshot:

If one of the injectors were say, bad? my friend suggested a few taps with the back of a screw driver anyone have any other suggestions before I take everything off tomorrow?

I appreciate all the replys guys!

Aloha,

It's an AFM.

It can happen, but I most seriously doubt that it's broken. There's nothing to break inside it. About the only way they break, is when you try to pull the plug off without taking the wire clip off that holds it on. When you do that, it rips the traces and pins off the PCB inside the AFM.

If you're just curious, take the filter out of the airbox and pull the assembly up so you can stick your hand in it. With the ignition ON (car not running) push the on the flap of the AFM in.

A tiny bit of pressure will engage the fuel pump, and turn the injectors on. You can hear them if you lean over close to them. You can also feel them if you touch the fuel line, or anything metal that they connect to (intake manifold, or fuel rail).

3vz-fe is fairly easy to take a part. Don't fear it. You can tear it down to this in an hour, assuming you have the tools to start with, and a haynes manual to read before hand.

MVC-125F.jpg

In all seriousness, I still think you blew a head gasket.

It's not hard to take a part =) it's just a pain in the !Removed! ive done it before and the only problem i've had was getting the valve cover off (the head closest to the firewall) because the wire harness runs directly over it and it doesen't come off easy.

As for head gasket it is still in question because the oil is not milky or a funky color and the coolant level has been just fine.

Thank you,

I wouldn't rule it out yet. You can blow the head gasket in various places. Not jsut between the oil and coolant passages. When mine blew last year, it blew on the #5 cylinder, between the cylinder and coolant. I wasn't loosing oil, just billowing white smoke.

That's just my opinion, I hope it winds up being the cheapest thing you can repair. Some little silly something.

What really helps getting the back valve cover off is a flexi-shaft and an impact driver, or fairly torquey drill/driver. That way you can just shove it down there and bend it where you need to. I've been through two or three of them in the last year. (They can't take a lot of torque! :lol:LoL!

Good luck with it man, I hope you get that thing sorted out!