Lexus Says Change Brake Pads, Toyota Says..

I took my car to the deale rlast week to get it checked for a few things. they said front brake pads were at 2/32 and rear at 3/32 and both needed to be changed. Not knowing what those figures really mean, I ordered parts from lexus-parts and took the car to a local Toyota dealer to change. Toyota called today saying they weren't going to change the pads since I have 80% left on the front and 80% on the rear.

What gives? was Lexus trying to make a quick buck here, or is Toyota missing something?

I took my car to the deale rlast week to get it checked for a few things. they said front brake pads were at 2/32 and rear at 3/32 and both needed to be changed. Not knowing what those figures really mean, I ordered parts from lexus-parts and took the car to a local Toyota dealer to change. Toyota called today saying they weren't going to change the pads since I have 80% left on the front and 80% on the rear.

What gives? was Lexus trying to make a quick buck here, or is Toyota missing something?

I would go with what Toyota say sounds like they are been honest to me :)

Win

Win

I always use toyota service , I do not trust lexus service. + the labor is always less expensive at toyota.

Win

Yeah, they sounded honest to me too. The service guy said he had and his tech wondered why i wanted the brake pads changed, and mentioned that if things looks right to them, they let their customers know. I even had the parts for them. Seems like if they wanted to, they could have just gone ahead and changed the pads and made some dough. But they chose not too. Good in my books. thanks.

You may want to continue having your Lexus serviced at that Toyota dealer if you feel they are being honest and above-board about the condition of your car. You can't beat the trust and integrity of a good mechanic - just ask Jerry Seinfled about his mechanic "Puddy." :)

My car has only been serviced at my local Toyota dealer - they do great work and the labour rate is much cheaper than it would be at a Lexus dealer. The last repair work they did they even washed the car after like I was a preferred Lexus customer.

Go back to the Lexus dealer and have them pull a wheel and show you how they measured the pad thickness. Embarrass them. When they explain that those pads look like they need replacing, pull out one of your new ones and have them explain the difference.

Be assertive with jerks like that. Then write a letter. The next time you show up, if ever, they will hold your chair for you.