Engine Shutter Rx400h

Has anyone had this problem? mainly happens at stop lights when starting up. There is a slight shutter (as the dealer calls it, says it is normal in all RX400h Hybrids) when the ICE starts up when you accelerate from a traffic light or sometimes hear it it stop & go traffic when going from battery operation to the ICE start.

I also hear it in the morning when the car is cold & start backing out of the driveway, only it is louder in the morning.

Did stop buy the dealer last Saturday & took their demo for a ride, I noticed it in the demo also. Seems to less of a problem after the car is warmed up, but you can still feel it. Is this just something you have to get used to.

Thank You, Phil

Yes. this is normal but is so slight that I'm not concerned at all. The brief electric motor roar is much more noticable, IMO. Luckily, it doesn't last long and happens only during agressive gas pedal pushing.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone had this problem? mainly happens at stop lights when starting up. There is a slight shutter (as the dealer calls it, says it is normal in all RX400h Hybrids) when the ICE starts up when you accelerate from a traffic light or sometimes hear it it stop & go traffic when going from battery operation to the ICE start.

I also hear it in the morning when the car is cold & start backing out of the driveway, only it is louder in the morning.

Did stop buy the dealer last Saturday & took their demo for a ride, I noticed it in the demo also. Seems to less of a problem after the car is warmed up, but you can still feel it. Is this just something you have to get used to.

Thank You, Phil

I have 4000 miles, and it appears to be normal operation of the hybrid system to warm the engine up during starts and shutting down to save gas at stoplights.