Which Vehicle?

VBdenny

My wife is getting a company car. She has five choices

Volvo S60

Chysler 300 Touring Limited

Chysler Pacific Touring AWD

Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

Jeep Grand Cheorokee 4WD

We have ruled out either SUV, they are ugly.

I like the Pacifica especially with AWD

What do you think?

My wife is getting a company car.  She has five choices

Volvo S60

Chysler 300 Touring Limited

Chysler Pacific Touring AWD

Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

Jeep Grand Cheorokee 4WD

We have ruled out either SUV, they are ugly.

I like the Pacifica especially with AWD

What do you think?

What no Toyota's offered? :blink: lol j/k ;) Pacifica is not a bad choice, but it's not exactly frugal on gas. Volvo is intresting too. B)

:cheers:

Hmm... I would lean towards the Volvo S60 as a first choice because it's a pretty good car (safety, comfort, and good fuel economy), but depending on which engine it may be rather underpowered unless it's a 2.4T or T5 (probably not a T5 since it's a company car). Do you know what type of S60 it is? Second choice would be a Pacifica because it is rather roomy and it's not a dramatic styling statement as the 300 (unless that's what your wife wants), but like LF said it's not exactly a gas saver.

Last week I watched "Car & Driver" on "Spike TV", and the top rated SUV was the Jeep Grand Cheorokee 4WD. The one they tested had an 8 cylinder Hemi.

I drove the Volvo, Chrysler Pacifica, & Lexus RX back-to-back-to-back at a test drive event.

After driving I put them in this order:

Lexus

Chrysler

Volvo

Since the Lexus isn't an option for your wife, then I would go with the Pacifa. It's roomy, comfortable, and easy to drive.

Let us know what she ends up with! :)

The Pacifica is a very nice vehicle, I was impressed. I rented one and drove it on a trip.

If she needs the utility thats what I'd suggest, if not probably the Volvo.

I'd go with the Volvo for safety, solidity of construction and quality of the interior. Most Toyota engines built in the last 30 years are "hemi" engines, yet Toyota doesn't boast about it like Chrysler does because hemispherical combustion chambers are no big deal.

I'd go with the Volvo for safety, solidity of construction and quality of the interior.  Most Toyota engines built in the last 30 years are "hemi" engines, yet Toyota doesn't boast about it like Chrysler does because hemispherical combustion chambers are no big deal.

The reason Chrysler markets the term "Hemi" is because it harks back to their 60s and 70s muscle car days. Pretty smart of them if you ask me.

Most Toyota engines built in the last 30 years are "hemi" engines, yet Toyota doesn't boast about it like Chrysler does because hemispherical combustion chambers are no big deal.

Cool, I have a Toyota V6 Hemi! lol :lol: :D B)

:cheers:

I'd go with the Volvo for safety, solidity of construction and quality of the interior.  Most Toyota engines built in the last 30 years are "hemi" engines, yet Toyota doesn't boast about it like Chrysler does because hemispherical combustion chambers are no big deal.

The reason Chrysler markets the term "Hemi" is because it harks back to their 60s and 70s muscle car days. Pretty smart of them if you ask me.

It's very smart of them. Their marketing group must be outstanding to have made such a big fuss about a ho-hum(imo) engine.

I'd pick the Volvo since the Explorer isn't a choice! The 300 is pretty, but I think that's about it. lol

My fiance knows nothing about cars but she knows what a Hemi is, and she knows its "high performance" and she even says "Wow that has a hemi in it!"!

So, kudos Chrysler thats pretty smart.

I guess we will go with the Pacifica since we can get the AWD one and the Volvo is not. I looked at the S60 cars and they have 4 levels and since the company didn't specify, I'm guessing it will be the base. They are also a little small. I just found out today we can specify the color and then pay for any option upgrades. Hmmm maybe we should get a 300C.

The best part of the deal is I get the LS back after my wife took it over.

Well, my wife saw someone at work with a black 300 and likes the car, but not black. The car she gets is the touring limited. We can upgrade to the 300C IF we pay the difference. Since this is a leased company vehicle, I don't see that happening. When she saw the Pacifica, she thought it looked too much like a minivan for her. So it is looking like the 300 touring ltd. We will probably get white since black is too hot in the South.

Hi VBdenny!! :)

Not sure why the 2006 Chrysler 300 Touring AWD is not on the list!! That would be nice. The V6 AWD 300's come with a 5-speed Mercedes designed automatic whereas the V6 RWD 300's come with a Chrysler designed 4-speed automatic. THIS is supposed to change sometime during the 2006 model year as soon as more 5-speed's become avaible.

Just for your information.

A 2005 Chrysler Pacifica Touring AWD had an MSRP of $31,795. There is a $2,000 'Cash Allowance' on Pacificas which drops the price to $29,795. That same Pacifica with option package 'U' [which has a few nice features - be sure to go to www.Chrysler.com to find out] has an MSRP of $34,075. It TOO has the same 'Cash Allowance' dropping the price to $32,075.

A 2006 Chrysler 300 Touring AWD has an MSRP of $30,200. Add the following options: A 276 Watt Boston Acoustics stereo [$995] A sunroof [$950] A Comfort and Convenience Package - heated seats and power for the passenger seat [$730] and Power adjustable pedals [$125] and the MSRP for the 300 Touring AWD is now an even $33,000. [no cash allowances on the 300 models]

The price being as close as it is - I would MUCH rather have a 2006 [one model year newer] Chrysler 300 Touring AWD than a Pacifica. [although there might be more 'room to move' money wise with the Pacifica. Might be worth it to find out]

So there you have it. Good luck with whatever you decide. [and be sure to let us know AND take lots of pictures!!]

Craig!! :)

ps I used the 90210 Zip Code. Not sure if the prices would any different where you live.

Hi Craig,

I really appreciate your imput on this. I have looked at them all, I wasn't impressed with the Volvo since it is bland. We do have the option for upgrades and I think the 5 speed is very nice to have. I didn't know about the option for AWD w/5speed automatic. I'll check and see what the deal is on that. Since we won't be paying for gas or doing maintenece (myself) on it it doesn't matter a whole lot.

Thanks for all the pricing data, nice to know what I am dealing with.

Getting rather warm down here in VB Craig, you all still have snow?

Denny

Getting rather warm down here in VB Craig, you all still have snow?

Hi Denny!! :)

I look forward to hearing what you decide to do. If you would like anymore of my opinions - be sure to let me know. I'll be happy to help out.

As for the above quote... lol

Here is quote from a weather website. http://www.vicstart.com/weather/

"Victoria's climate is reasonably temperate, with very few daily temperatures above 30°C (86°F) or below 0°C (32°F). In January, the average daily high and low temperatures are 6.9°C (44.4°F) and 0.7°C (33.3°F), respectively. In July, Victoria enjoys considerably warmer temperatures, averaging a daily high of 21.9°C (71.4°F) and low of 10.8°C (51.4°F). The record daily high temperature was 36.1°C (97.0°F) on July 16, 1941, and the record daily low temperature was -15.6°C (3.9°F) on January 28, 1950.

Concerning precipitation, Victoria is fairly wet during the winter, but suffers from several weeks of drought-like conditions during the summer. In July, Victoria only receives an average of 19.5 mm (0.8 inch) of rain. In January, Victoria receives an average of 121.8 mm (4.9 inches) of rain, but only an average of 15.2 cm (6.1 inches) of snow, a figure skewed by the Great Blizzard of 1996, where Victoria was buried under 120 cm (4 feet) of snow and received 64.5 cm (25.8 inches) of snow in one day. However, with a mean snow depth of 1 cm in December and January only, Victoria is called by many the "Land of No Snow", where people phone up their relatives on the Prairies and in Ontario and Quebec to make a joke about how they are digging themselves out of six feet of snow while Victorians bike to work and play outdoor sports."

In other words - NO SNOW FOR ME!! lol

Craig!! :)

Theres plenty of room to move on all 300s but the 300Cs. Some dealers have wait lists for 300Cs but other 300 models sit on the lots so you should be able to get a good deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Craig - my wife selected a 300. It is the touring limited and she want cool vanilla for the color. I've been to Victoria and Vancouver, wow a very nice place in my opinion. I never knew they had palm trees in Canada since I gre up near Quebec and Ontario.

And SWO, oh yea man, I promise you we will get a good deal. Company pays, we drive. Or should I saw, my wife drives. I can drive it as the company allows that, but if it;'s all just the same I'll drive the LS400. I completely cleaned, waxed and conditioned the leather today. I took pictures but since I'm in NJ I haven't put the software to download to on this 'puter.

i know this is off topic, but i was in Victoria, BC last year. nice weather up there and lots of greenery. ;) B)

Edited by denslexusgx470