Rear Light Popping On

the light that indicates that one of my rear lights is out is on but none of the lights are bad i have checked all of them ( brake, regular, turn signals, and reverse ) and they all light up. if i shut the car off and re-start it the light will shut off and after driving for a while come back on , and it comes on when no lights are on...... do you think that a bulb may be starting to go bad or that my car is just crazy???? :huh:

ive had the same problem and found out it was, in fact, one of my brake lights. when the bulbs get old, they start to short out on occasion, like when you hit a bump or just drive normally, which is what set off the warning light. I'd keep a close eye on them, maybe even have someone follow you, until you find the guilty party, but i doubt your car's crazy! also, check the license plate and corner marker lights (on the bottom far sides) they could be bad, and theyre easy to overlook!

remove each bulb and thoroughly clean the contacts. The slightest decrease or increase in resistance can set the indicator light off.

The housings are plastic and will contract and expand a little with heat (it is summer). You may find that a buld has good contact then the housing expands with heat (sun, motor, exhaust, whatever) and the contact is poor. Thus the indicator light.

Clean the buld contacts and the housing contacts. WD40 sometiems helps to remove corrosion.

Check all bulbs, even the high mount. Sometimes just removing and reinstalling the bulb is all that is needed.

steviej.

alright thanks guys-- i think it may be getting wet though.. b/c the only time that it comes on is when it is raining really hard so i am thinking that it may have gotten wet when i drove through a big puddle or something but it may just be concidence, i don't think that water could reach the harness.. so i will just take a look at them.

thanks