Removing Phone Cradle From 95 Ls

flash213

Has anyone removed the Lexus phone system under the armrest in a GenII? Whats the best place to disconnect the power cable? It would be nice if there was a mod to create more storage under there. Thanks for the input.

I think the upper console tray in the 95 LS is like the one in my 00 LS. If so, the upper console tray insert can be easily pryed out with a well taped putty knife or screwdriver. The handset cradle wire plugs into a connector in the area under the air vent at the top rear of the console - the vent you see when the console lid is raised. K9CREW replaced the fuzzy covering on the upper console insert with material from a mouse pad - he just glued it to the insert. You may want to unplug the two connectors from the transceiver in the trunk and then plug them together and even remove the transceiver.

• 1 year later...
I think the upper console tray in the 95 LS is like the one in my 00 LS. If so, the upper console tray insert can be easily pryed out with a well taped putty knife or screwdriver. The handset cradle wire plugs into a connector in the area under the air vent at the top rear of the console - the vent you see when the console lid is raised. K9CREW replaced the fuzzy covering on the upper console insert with material from a mouse pad - he just glued it to the insert. You may want to unplug the two connectors from the transceiver in the trunk and then plug them together and even remove the transceiver.

I have removed my phone cradle but now I want to disconnect the system. Which two plugs are you talking about disconnecting and putting together? I'm a female so I work better with descriptions

On a 2000 LS400 like mine, the phone transceiver is in the trunk in a floor well on the right side. The two connectors I am talking about plug together after unplugging them from the transceiver and can then be attached to the bottom of the tool box housing on the right side of the trunk -- that is where the connectors "live" on 2000 LS400s without a Lexus phone.

But I do not know where the OEM phone transceiver was installed in your 91 LS400. Maybe someone else will chime in. On the 90 LS400 I had for many years, an aftermarket phone transceiver was installed behind the trim on the left side of the trunk - just forward of the left rear tail light and near the tool kit. You might try peaking behind the trim - it is reasonably easy to pop loose.

Some people have gotten away with just cutting the wires but one must remember that the phone system interfaces with the audio system. You don't want to accidently ground the "telemute" wire and permanently mute your stereo. Everything in the dealer installed OEM phone system can be unplugged cleanly from the car's factory installed phone harness.

There is probably no need to remove the phone control module from the steering wheel since you would have to find a "blank" that matches the interior trim to fill the void removing it would leave. The phone control module on my steering wheel does not impair the operation of anything else. You can pretend that the steering wheel phone control buttons fire the "death ray" that you shoot at offending drivers. :rolleyes:

Someone at Scholfield Lexus in Wichita - (316) 688-1919 - might be able to help you if you don't find the answer.

That middle tray the phone is installed on is also easily replaced if you want to do away with any holes that way.

The separate upper console tray for the phone was not in the 90-92 LS400. I think the separate phone receiver tray started with the 1995 LS400 but I'm not certain. In the 90-92 LS400, the cradle for the phone receiver was installed on the passenger side of the main console box.

Regarding the upper console tray in the 95-00 LS400 ... when I checked with the dealer, the tray insert was not available separately as a replacement part. One had to buy the entire upholstered upper console tray at a price of several hundred dollars. What a shame. If available separately, the simple black plastic upper console tray insert should have been available at a nominal price.