Blue Smoke Coming Out Tailpipe Upon Startup

Hi Everyone. I am new to the forum so please bear with me if I do something wrong. I have a 1996 ES300 that upon first startup when cold it puts out blue smoke. After the car warms up for about 3 minutes the blue smoke disappears. Can anyone tell me what this is and how to go about correcting the problem. Also need help finding new drivers seat, my leather bottom is really worn badly. Thanks to all for your help and advice.

Hi Everyone.  I am new to the forum so please bear with me if I do something wrong.  I have a 1996 ES300 that upon first startup when cold it puts out blue smoke.  After the car warms up for about 3 minutes the blue smoke disappears.  Can anyone tell me what this is and how to go about correcting the problem.  Also need help finding new drivers seat, my leather bottom is really worn badly.  Thanks to all for your help and advice.

How many miles on the car, what is the service history (oil changes, tune up's etc) & what kind of oil are you currently using? B)

:cheers:

Check your PCV and replace.

Thank you for the replies. The car has been maintained very well with oil changes, tune ups, etc. per dealer maintenance schedule. Car has 142K but runs like a dream with the excep;tion of the blue smoke problem. Use Castrol 10W30 oil. Look forward to your reply.

Thank you for the replies. The car has been maintained very well with oil changes, tune ups, etc. per dealer maintenance schedule. Car has 142K but runs like a dream with the excep;tion of the blue smoke problem. Use Castrol 10W30 oil. Look forward to your reply.

PCV valve isn't a bad idea to replace......if it's fairly new, I wonder if your head gasket is on the fritz & if you don't have any oil leaks, I'd consider switching to synthetic oil. B)

PCV valve isn't a bad idea to replace......if it's fairly new, I wonder if your head gasket is on the fritz & if you don't have any oil leaks, I'd consider switching to synthetic oil. B)

Thank you for the synthetic oil suggestion, what weight oil would you recommend?

Thank you for the synthetic oil suggestion, what weight oil would you recommend?

With the mileage on yours, 10W30.......most popular is Mobil 1 or Amsoil (I use Amsoil ASL 5W30 personally.....switched from Mobil 1). Make sure you use a top quality oil filter as well such as Mobil 1, K & N, Amsoil, Toyota etc. Change the oil plug gasket every second oil change to prevent leaks around the plug.

Here is an article comparing Amsoil to Mobil 1 btw. B)

http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/amsoil_vs_mobil1.aspx

what is the last time PCV was changed. It's only 3-4 dollers.

Probably been a year since pcv valve was changed. Is it hard to do yourself? Thank you very much for your help.

It's very easy to do. less than 5 minits. change PCV and see it's still smoking.

With the mileage on yours, 10W30.......most popular is Mobil 1 or Amsoil (I use Amsoil ASL 5W30 personally.....switched from Mobil 1). Make sure you use a top quality oil filter as well such as Mobil 1, K & N, Amsoil, Toyota etc. Change the oil plug gasket every second oil change to prevent leaks around the plug.

Thank you, I will give Amsoil a try. Where's the best place to find/buy Amsoil?

Thank you, I will give Amsoil a try. Where's the best place to find/buy Amsoil?

I would contact Amsoil.com & ask them where there are dealers near you. Some popular auto parts chains carry it as well. It shouldn't be much more than M1 synthetic oil. B)

Momentary blue smoke at start up is NORMAL and unharmful on many Toyota engines of the late 1980's and 1990's after they have reached about 125,000 miles. Changing PCV valves, etc. won't cure it. There is no need to "cure it" because it's unharmful. You can still easily pass a smog test and the smoke is NOT and indication of serious engine wear. The valve stem oil seals just aren't sealing as well as they used to when the engine is shut off. However, they still seal good when the engine is running so that is why the smoke is only momentary and also why engine oil consumption is still low despite the smoke.

Momentary blue smoke at start up is NORMAL and unharmful on many Toyota engines of the late 1980's and 1990's after they have reached about 125,000 miles.  Changing PCV valves, etc. won't cure it.  There is no need to "cure it" because it's unharmful.  You can still easily pass a smog test and the smoke is NOT and indication of serious engine wear. The valve stem oil seals just aren't sealing as well as they used to when the engine is shut off. However, they still seal  good when the engine is running so that is why the smoke is only momentary and also why engine oil consumption is still low despite the smoke.

VGR thank you so much for your reply. You do not know how much you have eased my mind. I had visions of having to replace the engine possibly. $$$$$$$$$. Thanks again.

Momentary blue smoke at start up is NORMAL and unharmful on many Toyota engines of the late 1980's and 1990's after they have reached about 125,000 miles.  Changing PCV valves, etc. won't cure it.  There is no need to "cure it" because it's unharmful.  You can still easily pass a smog test and the smoke is NOT and indication of serious engine wear. The valve stem oil seals just aren't sealing as well as they used to when the engine is shut off. However, they still seal  good when the engine is running so that is why the smoke is only momentary and also why engine oil consumption is still low despite the smoke.

VGR thank you so much for your reply. You do not know how much you have eased my mind. I had visions of having to replace the engine possibly. $$$$$$$$$. Thanks again.

Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to replace valve stem oil seals?

hay man as a 3 year auto tec im telling you it is your valve seals are leaking and for the moment they will be fine. but just to let you know over time the seals will get wors and in time you will go from smoke on startup to large amounts of oil burn and rough running and poor performanc. I sugest you call some shops and get a price for the job and just start puting some cash aside for when this ocers but dont freek this will probly take anywere from 3months to a year so you got time and aside from your cat u wont damage your car but your cat will take a beating over time. by the way just use standerd oil the price is not worth it you can do your oil change more often and it will still be cheaper. oil aditivs start to burn out of your oil at about 175c an avereg running temp is 190c so there is no benifet to syn oil. as per petro canada oil corp RnD and lube traning cours

hay man as a 3 year auto tec im telling you it is your valve seals are leaking and for the moment they will be fine. but just to let you know over time the seals will get wors and in time you will go from smoke on startup to large amounts of oil burn and rough running and poor performanc. I sugest you call some shops and get a price for the job and just start puting some cash aside for when this ocers but dont freek this will probly take anywere from 3months to a year so you got time and aside from your cat u wont damage your car but your cat will take a beating over time. by the way just use standerd oil the price is not worth it you can do your oil change more often and it will still be cheaper. oil aditivs start to burn out of your oil at about 175c an avereg running temp is 190c so there is no benifet to syn oil. as per petro canada oil corp RnD and lube traning cours

Mugwai thank you for your reply and advice. Any idea what this will cost me?

My '89 Corolla with 241,000 miles has had start up smoke for the past 120,000 miles and it has NOT be getting worse. It still passes smog test with ease and the motor runs like new. This start up smoke issue has been discussed on another Toyota forum owned by Toyota Dealership Mastertechs and the consensus is not to worry or do anything about the start up smoke except change your oil every 3 months / 3,000 miles.

The cost of replace the seals on the V6 would probably be way over $1,000 because of the extensive labor required to access and remove the rear cylinder head. And commonly when the engine is torn down in this way the service techs goof something up trying to assemble it back together again so you could end up with new problems you didn't have before.

Instead of worrying about the smoke, I'd suggest you spend your money on preventive maintenance that REALLY matters to engine life like frequent oil changes, new genuine Toyota antifreeze, new thermostat, spark plugs, distributor caps, etc.

My '89 Corolla with 241,000 miles has had start up smoke for the past 120,000 miles and it has NOT be getting worse.  It still passes smog test with ease and the motor runs like new.  This start up smoke issue has been discussed on another Toyota forum owned by Toyota Dealership Mastertechs and the consensus is not to worry or do anything about the start up smoke except change your oil every 3 months / 3,000 miles.

The cost of replace the seals on the V6 would probably be way over $1,000 because of the extensive labor required to access and remove the rear cylinder head.  And commonly when the engine is torn down in this way the service techs goof something up trying to assemble it back together again so you could end up with new problems you didn't have before.

Instead of worrying about the smoke, I'd suggest you spend your money on preventive maintenance that REALLY matters to engine life like frequent oil changes,  new genuine Toyota antifreeze, new thermostat, spark plugs, distributor caps, etc.

VGR again thank you for your time and reply.