Is Spending 60-70k Dollars Worth It?

LexKid630

One thing that the SC has going for it is reputation. Corvettes are fine cars, but they do have a reputation as a car that a guy with the top 4 buttons of his shirt undone and wearing a gold chain drives, or a midlife crisis/!Removed! extender type car.

You have to be willing to live with 1/2 the population seeing you as that to enjoy one. The SC doesn't have that kind of a reputation.

• 1 year later...
Do you think a new sc430 is really worth 60-70k dollars? Really, how much better is it than a celica? Is it worth that much money for a 2 door? Even if it is a lexus?

This is just an opinion question ;) I just want to know how many of you would throw that much away when you could get a loaded Ls430 for the same price.

Hi LexKid,

That is something only YOU can decide. I went in to to buy a '02 SC430 in the Fall of 2001 ( I had the $67K req'd ) but they had a 18 month waiting period then. I bought a '97 BMW 840Ci ( that was new at $77K ), sold it 1 1/2 yrs ago & took ~$25K loss. IMO, BMWs do not hold their value.

I just bought a used ( 24K miles ) '02 SC430 and plan on keeping it a long time. I expect to put ~7K miles/year on it at the most.

As for high-performance cars, no thanks; at my age ( 69 ) that is all behind me. It's only auto-boxes for me from here on out.

One thing that I truly like about the SC430 it that it is a very quiet car.

I am very happy with my purchase.

It's sorta like blondes vs redheads. ;)

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Now, should I win the lottery, I will immediately go out & buy a Brookville 3-window coupe. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Although this thread is quite old, I would like to add what I think about the question if a new "SC430 is really worth 60-70k dollars."

MSRP is what the manufacturer believes the car will bring in a competitive market. The truth of the matter is what the car means to you in terms of value.

To compare a cruiser (SC) to a muscle car (Corvette) is ridiculous and non-productive. Besides price the only real thing the two have in common is style.

The muscle car is energy, verve and handling. The cruiser is sedate, elegant, luxurious appointments and comfort.

Each has its own purpose in being. Period!

Like you, I have my own individual preferences in an automobile. My desires and preferences in a car have changed or evolved over the many years of my driving experience. Whereas once I sought and thrilled to the exuberance of hand-shifting to reach high speeds, to dive around corners and fly on long flat strips of pavement, the subsequent years and physical changes in my body transformed my desires and needs to want a more leisurely and comfortable pace.

The list of cars I have owned is long and populated by cars that I have enjoyed and cars that proved to be great disappointments. The cars I enjoyed were to me worth the money I paid for them. Those that disappointed motivated me to believe that they were highly overpriced.

I presently own a 2008 SC430. I bought it below MSRP. Having had it for just less than two years, I now think that if I would have had to pay MSRP, it would have been worth it. The only modification I have made from the original purchase has been to replace the run-flat tires with MICHELIN Pilot® Sport A/S 245/40ZR18 93Y. This has transformed the ride to one of smoothness, comfort and exceptional handling.

The SC is a perfect fit for me. I no longer have to transport anyone other than my wife, carry any cargo other than a few shopping bags and have the great enjoyment of driving a convertible in good weather and a very good looking coupe during in climate conditions.

With its power assist, my SC moves quickly enough to safely enter freeways from on-ramps, cruise at high speed without difficulty and accelerates immediately to very high revs to pass any car in front of me.

The appointments of the SC are superb. They exude quality and are rich and enveloping. The instruments are located as they should be to easily read and operate them.

Is my SC worth its dollar price? It is to me. Do I think it is a better buy than a Audi, BMW, MB or other fine car at its market price? Yes.

Do I think it is for everyone? No. It has its place and is the best choice for me as it meets my desires and has exceeded my every expectation.

Do you think a new sc430 is really worth 60-70k dollars? Really, how much better is it than a celica? Is it worth that much money for a 2 door? Even if it is a lexus?

This is just an opinion question ;) I just want to know how many of you would throw that much away when you could get a loaded Ls430 for the same price.

Nope same car as the Celica. Pretty similar to a Tercell, you should get one of those :D