Dash Lights Problem

Hi. I own a 97 sc300 and my dash lights turns on when I first turn on the car but after 3-5 sec it'll just shut off but my needles are still lit. Its just I can't see anything else in the dash, I've already check the fuses located under the hood and non of them are damaged so anybody here have any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

give the top of your instrument cluster a good smack, quick and fast, almost a hard tap. Often the bulbs will come back on. Worked on my SC and it still is fine. Also worked on the right side of my climate control display. I just tapped it with my finger covered by a shop towel and after about 6 taps the display lit up again, no joke. C-ya and good luck.

• 1 month later...

If they come on THEN turn off (the backlight) smack it 'till your hands bleed and it won't make a difference. That method is only for filament that doesn't come on at all. A member of CL had the same problem and it was after a radio installation. Have you changed anything that would make it do that?

This is different from just old bulbs, this is a technical issue when the backlight fails all at once.

• 2 years later...
Go to this place http://www.lextech.org/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi all,

thanks supermancam, it worked for me , I had a section of my speedometer that had gone dark and after a couple of good wacks on the right upper side it came back on.

my climate control is still out, no lights at all yet, might have to take it apart.

cheers! Blue

Thanks much for the tip on wacking the dash to get the backlights to function again! They didn't all come on, but most of them did. Sure beats driving around with a blacked out instrument cluster! Dbuck