Nav System Blues

bliksem

Just got the GX yesterday, 05 with Nav. However some lawyer or engineer went completely braindead it seems (maybe it is just me). I can't enetr a destination while driving, nor can I dial a number to call while driving. Once the vechile comes to almost a complete stop you can do it.

Anyway to do this? ANywork around to make it work while driving??

I saw a thread that mentioned having something disconnected, but I have no details.

Thanx guys.

Hi Blik,

I feel you pain, check out this link below:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...70&page=1&pp=15

Basically towards the END of the 1st page and the middle of the 2nd page, there is mention of www.coastaletech.com (Prius) mods but according to the TECHS there at Coastal, it DOES work and @ $75.00 is CHEAP!!!!!!

I've already placed my order, even though it doesn't really bother me all that much...

Weird. I just got my 2005 Lexus GX 470 2 weekends ago brand new, and I can call someone with the Bluetooth connection and input a location whenever I want.

For the phone problem -- have you tried just dialing the number on your phone instead of inputting it on the nav screen?

i love everytime the question comes up. I dont mind people doing it. But to get mad at a car company for putting safety features on a car like that is funny. I need my family to get rear ended by a guy and GX who just figured out where he needs to go and now needs the nav system. Nav system is way too involved to be operating while driving. It involves looking at a screen and waiting for the input ou touched in to transfer to the computer. Plenty of time for a car to stop suddenly in front or a kid to run out in front of you. Save the mods for your home pc not a 3 ton automobile.

Hi Blik,

I feel you pain, check out this link below:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...70&page=1&pp=15

Basically towards the END of the 1st page and the middle of the 2nd page, there is mention of www.coastaletech.com (Prius) mods but according to the TECHS there at Coastal, it DOES work and @ $75.00 is CHEAP!!!!!!

I've already placed my order, even though it doesn't really bother me all that much...

Wolf,

SOunds great, let me know how it works and if it works for the phone as well. Defintely worthwhile.

BassPlayer,

If I dial a number with my phone the Nav system doesn't kick in and the only the phone works. Weird.

Unlisted,

I hear you, but being able to program phone numbers in adn actually dialing it on a eyelevel screen is much safer than fiddling with alittle cellphone. Also following that argument they should eliminate cupholders. Also distracts the driver fiddling with a drink, when they look down to put it back. As to the Nav, it is to allow a passenger to enter stuff while driving.

Unlisted,

Before you pass judgement, it is for my wife who rides in the front passenger side when I drive, as a volunteer EMT, I would NEVER compromise safety by operating GPS or PHONE while driving.

TO ALL: DO NOT get distracted while driving as it is DANGEROUS!!!

That said, IF/WHEN bypass device is available it would be a great boon to me when my spouse is able to operate it without my having to pull over to one side and stop the car.

'nuff said...

Just got the GX yesterday, 05 with Nav. However some lawyer or engineer went completely braindead it seems (maybe it is just me). I can't enetr a destination while driving, nor can I dial a number to call while driving. Once the vechile comes to almost a complete stop you can do it.

I saw a thread that mentioned having something disconnected, but I have no details.

Thanx guys.

u guys r all idiots...they do it 4 a reason....its so u dont get into a accident while u r driving....duh! u no where u have 2 push the i accept button when u turn on the car..thats what its talking bout...it wants u 2 concentrate on the road instead of the screen....jeeze...wat idiots

Thanx guys.

u guys r all idiots...they do it 4 a reason....its so u dont get into a accident while u r driving....duh! u no where u have 2 push the i accept button when u turn on the car..thats what its talking bout...it wants u 2 concentrate on the road instead of the screen....jeeze...wat idiots

Maybe you are the idiot!! The point is for the passenger to enter moving. Funny thing is the BMW I had before I could do it no issues, and so does most other manufacturers.

Thanx guys.

Maybe you are the idiot!! The point is for the passenger to enter moving. Funny thing is the BMW I had before I could do it no issues, and so does most other manufacturers.

well considering the DRIVER is the one DRIVING maybe it could be that the DRIVER knows where to go and not the passenger.

ps, the rest of yall dont take the idiot thing personally i was jp around

• 2 weeks later...

I am less than 200 miles into my gx and I hate the nav system. I couldn't be more worthless...I have used a magellan 700m for some time and the 1000m (I think this is the right number) before that. This lexus nav system SUCKS! I thought it would be nice to get rid of the wires with this car and now I am a few thousand lighter in the wallet and I will still have the wires. And while I am bitching...how the heck am I supposed to get a dvd going for my 3 and 4 year old....