Cost Of 4 Wheel Alignment?

Jonathan

I was wondering what people out there have been charged for 4 wheel alignments?

I was just quoted a price of $139 dollars to do a 4 wheel alignment on my 2004 RX330 by the Lexus dealership.

Does this seem like a "ballpark" figure for a 4 wheel alignment?

Thanks,

Jonathan

That's way, way too much to pay. Most alignment shops will do 4-wheel alignments for $59 to $79, and you can save $10 to $20 with a coupon. Check the ads in your local newspaper or Google "four wheel alignment" in your area.

I think the tire/alignment shops do a better job with this particular task because they do far more of them than the dealerships do, regardless of make and model. And they're far less expensive unless the dealership is running a comparable special.

I'm surprised that a 2004 car needs an alignment, do you drive over miles of pot-holes every day or what ?

I have 32K mile on the RX already....my opinion is that the alignment is more a "best practices" thing to do while getting new tires put on a vehicle. Also, the front left was wearing a differently on the outer edge than the others. I had regular rotations and kept the tires at 32psi. BTW, the crappy Good Year RS-A's are already shot and I am not an aggresive driver.

Jonathan

I use Sears Automotive.

$60 Tire Alignment

Also, 1 time fee of $40 for Tire Balances will get you a Lifetime free service for Tire Balance and Rotations. I have been doing this for the past yr. and not once had to pay for tire rotations/balances after paying the one time fee. Drop the car off and kill some time in the mall.

I have 32K mile on the RX already....my opinion is that the alignment is more a "best practices" thing to do while getting new tires put on a vehicle.  Also, the front left was wearing a differently on the outer edge than the others.  I had regular rotations and kept the tires at 32psi.  BTW, the crappy Good Year RS-A's are already shot and I am not an aggresive driver.

Jonathan

I've read similar comments about these tires somewhere (maybe tirerack), that's bad news for those of us that have these, are you putting the same ones on ?

Alignments.

I am waiting for my RX 400 H.

Every car that I owned, I purchases a Lifetime Alignment package. My earlier vehicles I purchased from Sears. They no longer do it.

Firestone offers it. I purchased it for my Toyota Corolla for like $150 and as long as I own it, I can go as many times as I want to get it aligned.

I was wondering what people out there have been charged for 4 wheel alignments?

I was just quoted a price of $139 dollars to do a 4 wheel alignment on my 2004 RX330 by the Lexus dealership.

Does this seem like a "ballpark" figure for a 4 wheel alignment?

Thanks,

Jonathan

For that kind of money, go to a Discount Tire store and buy the Lifetime Alignment policy (or find a shop that near you that offers Lifetime). It's the best way to go since you can take it in any time and get it set as often as you like.

Tires are expensive, best to keep em rotated and aligned.

For a Lexus dealership thats not bad at all. Like RX in NC said though other shops will do it for $80 or so.

I am putting the new Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's on...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

Intersting note....On my old RX300 in Jan '03, I had this same dealership put 4 tires on it (Michelin LTX M/S, loved them) and they did a 4 wheel alignment for 69.99. I am going with receipt in hand tomorrow morning with my RX330 (the service advisor on that receipt is now the service manager) and politely ask him to justify a 100% increase (@139.99) in the last two years. The last time I checked, there is no shortage of alignment shops....;-)

Jonathan

I would ask for a printout of the alignment specs & adjustments when you have it done. It'll keep them honest. When I ran my tire store we attached a copy to the workorder & also gave a copy to the customer. We did this whether it was a one time alignment or lifetime alignment. Keep in mind that when you buy a lifetime alignment,you pay only once but the shop you bought it from has to align your vehicle for life for the one price. There are shops out there that may shortcut.

I would ask for a printout of the alignment specs & adjustments when you have it done.  It'll keep them honest.  When I ran my tire store we attached a copy to the workorder & also gave a copy to the customer.  We did this whether it was a one time alignment or lifetime alignment. Keep in mind that when you buy a lifetime alignment,you pay only once but the shop you bought it from has to align your vehicle for life for the one price.  There are shops out there that may shortcut.

FWIW...I asked the manager about it this morning. He said they now have some fancy new alignment machine. They used to use the one at the Chevy dealer they are attached to. I asked him to justify a 100% increase for alignment since two years ago. He did not, actually he said, when pressed, that the new machine was not up and running yet and they would use the Chevy one for a price of 79.99. (quoted price 139.99)

I then asked him why he was going to charge people full price even though the machine was not working that supposedly justified the price increase in the first place.... :P

Jonathan

Take your business elsewhere - these guys are hosing their customers.

Find a good tire/alignment shop. They do the best work and are always competitively priced. Many run coupons in the local newspapers or on their websites. Take the time to look for a coupon and you'll save $10 to $20.

In this day and age, a printout of your before-and-after specs is always part of the deal. Make sure you get one.

Take your business elsewhere  -  these guys are hosing their customers.

Find a good tire/alignment shop.  They do the best work and are always competitively priced.  Many run coupons in the local newspapers or on their websites.  Take the time to look for a coupon and you'll save $10 to $20.

In this day and age, a printout of your before-and-after specs is always part of the deal.  Make sure you get one.

Discount Tire always gives me a before and after sheet...

P.S. I do not own stock in Discount Tire :lol:

That's way, way too much to pay.  Most alignment shops will do 4-wheel alignments for $59 to $79, and you can save $10 to $20 with a coupon.  Check the ads in your local newspaper or Google "four wheel alignment" in your area.

I think the tire/alignment shops do a better job with this particular task because they do far more of them than the dealerships do, regardless of make and model.  And they're far less expensive unless the dealership is running a comparable special.

Ok. I have a question. Do you mean "front end alignment" or is that something else? I live in New Orleans and if I could get a lifetime front end alignment for $100 I think I'd use it monthly. Help me out here. I'm a car virgin LOL :censored:

Some vehicles require front-end alignments (meaning adjustment of the camber, caster, and toe-in components of the two front wheels to specifications provided by the vehicle manufacturer) while other vehicles are supposed to get alignments on all four wheels.

The RX300 is supposed to require a four-wheel alignment but I've found with our particular vehicle that the rear wheels tend to stay well within the factory alignment specs while the front wheels need to be aligned every couple of years and certainly whenever I put a new set of tires on the vehicle.

But that may not be the case for every RX300 owner. Much depends upon your road conditions, your ability to dodge potholes, and whether or not you keep your sidewalls off the curb when you park. Potholes and curb-bumping are the two best friends of the alignment shops.

Check the fine print before you purchase a lifetime alignment agreement from anyone. I doubt if the contract will allow you to come in for an alignment as frequently as once a month. If it does, and even if you are only able to get in for an alignment every three months or so, you've still found yourself a great deal as long as you follow through with at least three or four alignments a year.

Thanks for the tip of requesting the alignment report. I did so, and did not look at it until I got home. "The knuckleheads" lined it up per 2003 RX300, 4wd specs....

One minor problem....I have a 2004 RX330!!!!

Needless to say, it is back at the dealer this morning....

Jonathan