Es300 Powerlock Failed

I recently bought a pre-owned 1998 ES300. It's a very nice car except that the power door locks doesn't work properly. If I press the power lock button, all the 4 doors will get locked, but if I try to unlock, it wouldn't bugde. None of the door, including the driver side would open. As I am new to own a Lexus, I am trying to figure what could be the probme, before spending too much to the dealer. My local lexus dealer said, he will charge $95 for finding the problem and will let me know, what needs to be done. My remote key entry also doesn't work. I thought of buying and installing a keyless entry from bestbuy for $207 (keyless entry + remote start). But, they suggested that I find the problem, why unlocking is not working before spending money on another keyless entry system as the system will only trigger the lock and unlock mechanism of the car. So, if the unlocking mechanism itself has any problem, the keyless entry won't work.

I'm kind of worried. I have an appt with my local lexus dealer on monday (05/16/2005). But, before going any further to spend my money down the drain, can anybody help me figure out what could be the problem.

Thanks

Thanks for the response. Yup, I am going to take this car to my nearest Lexus dealer for diagnosis. I'll keep you guys posted about the problem and the recommendation made by the dealer. Hope it will help some other forum members in the future. B'coz I hear lots of people complaining about the door switch and security system problems. I have an appt with my dealer coming monday 05/16/2005. See ya later...

Ok. Here I just want to give little heads up on what's going on with my Lexus. Today, I had a appt with local lexus dealer at around 7:15am. I dropped my car and waited until 8:30am for them to diagnose the problem. The service came back at 8:40am and told me that their service person, still can't figure out why the locks are not unlocking and they need more time to figure out. They arranged a courtesy shuttle ride for me to work. I went to office and didn't hear from the service manager until after I gave them a call at 1:30pm. The manager was out for lunch and came back and left a message. I called them back. To my surprise he told me that they couldn't figure out what coud be the problem. Isn't it surprising? I am totally shocked. He said, they brought down my driver side door and checked all the wiring running to the main console (computer) and everything see to be working fine. Also, he said, there is a main control, which sits in the driver's side door underneath the hand rest area. He pulled a similar type of control from a pre-owned lexus and fitted it in my car and still my switch was not responding to the unlock mechanism. So, figured out it is not the switch control system located at the arm rest. He went ahead and told me that if I permit them, they have to further remove the central computer (console) and check for all the pins, wires and controls to check and see what's going on. He said it will take them atlest 2 hours and they would charge me $200 for this deeper investigation. Further he said, it may be due ot a computer glitch that might be causing the whole switch problem. Too many guess work and no straight answers. He said, it may cost me $800 to replace any of the controls inside. So, that amounts to more than $1100 including other charges. Rediculous? Lexus is really trying to rip me off. I said, don't go any further, let me just live with that problem.

So, I am not going for deeper inspection as I thought is not worth spending $1000 on a car I bought for $9500, just to fix a door switch. Now, there is no way, I'll know what is causing this problem in my power window switch. If any of you have any ideas or comments please let me know. I kind da feel bad that my lexus turned out to be a keyed entry system instead of keyless entry system. :cries:

Today again I got an appt with my lexus dealer and left my vehicle with them for the whole day. Guess what! I got a call from my service manager at around 3pm. He said, their electrician figured what was the prob with my power door locks that would lock but won't unlock. It seem that in the electric wiring connection that goes to the ECU, somebody who worked on the circuit earlier has switched the cables. Due to this some of the functionality were working fine and some were not. Ultimately, it took more than 10 hrs of labor to figure out this simple problem and I was charged $300 in total :chairshot:

Atleast, now my problem is solved. My power lock works fine and security system too. So, now I can peacefully sleep during the night, while my Lexus sitting outside my house in the parking lot under the tree :lol:

Now I am planning to add one more master key + Fob to my 98 ES300 and ordered one from lexus-parts. Can't wait to try out programmig a new keyless entry myself. Once, I get my key programmed, I am all set to enjoy my new 98 Lexus ES300 :P

I'm glad that the dealer found your problem & if they spent 10 hours on the car that's only $30 per hour. Keep in mind that not all dealers are bad like some people on this forum believe. The technicians at the dealership work with diagnostic tools & electrical wiring diagrams to test circuits assuming that everything is in OE condition. In your case, a previous tech mistakingly plugged the connections in the wrong position. Case & point, I was working at a Honda dealer & a car came in for a no start condition. I tested everything & finally found that the aftermarket alarm ECU was shorted out. It started fine after I disconnected the alarm. Some things are harder than it may seem.

I'm glad that the dealer found your problem & if they spent 10 hours on the car that's only $30 per hour.  Keep in mind that not all dealers are bad like some people on this forum believe.  The technicians at the dealership work with diagnostic tools & electrical wiring diagrams to test circuits assuming that everything is in OE condition.  In your case, a previous tech mistakingly plugged the connections in the wrong position.  Case & point, I was working at a Honda dealer & a car came in for a no start condition.  I tested everything & finally found that the aftermarket alarm ECU was shorted out.  It started fine after I disconnected the alarm.  Some things are harder than it may seem.

I absolutely agree with you. Though Lexus labor cost is $90/hr, they didn't charge me in full. Also, they were so curteous in responding to all my questions. They are awesome. I now have very high regards for the service manager and the Master tech (electrical), who worked on my vehicle to figure out this prob.