Power Steering Rebuild Kit

jadecuir

Where can I find a Power steering punp rebuild kit... you know, all the o-rings seals and possibly bearings? Is this something available in a kit, or do you have to order each individual part?

Is DIY cost effective for the PS pump, or are rebuilt pumps so cheap, it isn't worth the time?

Also, is there a tutorial with photos for changing the filter on the steering rack somewhere on this forum? Is this a simple job?

John

I bought the "Gasket Kit, Power Steering" (part# 04446-30173) from IronToad.com for $25.50 plus 6.98 shipping. I also replaced:

-PS Bearing, part# 90363-17017 for $10.33 plus shipping, from Sewell. (By the way, Sewell is a good seller and the shipping wait is about 1 week, in case you are interested.).

-Air Control valve (part# 17630-16040) although it was still good (since I had to remove the alternator to do the job so I tried to avoid/delay doing it again at some point later), ($65.02 plus $6.50 shipping, from discounttoyotaparts.com because this is a Toyota equivalent).

-2 vacuum hoses at ACV (parts# 17342-50010, "Hose, air, No.2", $11.35, and #17343-50010, "Hose, Air, No.3", $12.64)(shipping for both was $5.98, from IronToad.com).

I didn't replace the PS pump Return Hose because I made 2 mistakes:

1. Dislodging one of the screen filters at the solenoid valve at the Rack. As I used an old soft toothbrush trying to clean the metal screens at those "windows", and one of the sceen windows just fell off. It seems to me that those tiny rectangle metal screens are badly and loosely attached to those tiny windows of the filter. Avoid touching them even with a soft toothbrush.

2. Dislodging the filter screen inside the PS reservoir by spraying brake cleaner from under the reservoir.

So now I have to use the Inline PS Filter and 2 feet of generic 3/8" PS tubing from AutoZone to get at least 4" straight tubing at PS pump, required for the tiny filter which fits INSIDE the tubing.

(PS inline filters can be ordered from RockAuto.com, part# 20FLT1, sold only in boxes of 12's, about one dollar plus each, plus shipping)

I had to borrow the Slide hammer from AutoZone, buy a 5" vise at Kragen (first vise ever!), and a torque wrench for ~$60 at Home Depot (the strong one you recommended, with life time warranty). (I always consider myself a rock bottom level DIY beginner, though).

I have tried to buy a rebuilt PS pump from AutoZone, but somehow I don't trust the quality of the rebuilt stuffs in the past, and the minute I looked at their pump, I decided not to buy it (although it has a lifetime warranty), and do the rebuild myself just for the fun of it.

About the PS pump rebuild, the tutorials from lexls.com and planetsoarer.com are excellent but to me the guide line from Lexus shop manual is the most important part of the combination.

I'd buy a pump from an online Lexus dealer if I had to do it again.

Good luck :D

Don

I bought the "Gasket Kit, Power Steering" (part# 04446-30173) from IronToad.com for $25.50 plus 6.98 shipping. I also replaced:

-PS Bearing, part# 90363-17017 for $10.33 plus shipping, from Sewell. (By the way, Sewell is a good seller and the shipping wait is about 1 week, in case you are interested.).

-Air Control valve (part# 17630-16040) although it was still good (since I had to remove the alternator to do the job so I tried to avoid/delay doing it again at some point later), ($65.02 plus  $6.50 shipping, from discounttoyotaparts.com because this is a Toyota equivalent).

-2 vacuum hoses at ACV (parts# 17342-50010, "Hose, air, No.2", $11.35, and #17343-50010, "Hose, Air, No.3", $12.64)(shipping for both was $5.98, from IronToad.com).

I didn't replace the PS pump Return Hose because I made 2 mistakes:

1. Dislodging one of the screen filters at the solenoid valve at the Rack. As I used an old soft toothbrush trying to clean the metal screens at those "windows", and one of the sceen windows just fell off. It seems to me that those tiny rectangle metal screens are badly and loosely attached to those tiny windows of the filter. Avoid touching them even with a soft toothbrush.

2. Dislodging the filter screen inside the PS reservoir by spraying brake cleaner from under the reservoir.

So now I have to use the Inline PS Filter and 2 feet of generic 3/8" PS tubing from AutoZone to get at least 4" straight tubing at PS pump, required for the tiny filter which fits INSIDE the tubing.

(PS inline filters can be ordered from RockAuto.com, part# 20FLT1, sold only in boxes of 12's, about one dollar plus each, plus shipping)

I had to borrow the Slide hammer from AutoZone, buy a 5" vise at Kragen (first vise ever!), and a torque wrench for ~$60 at Home Depot (the strong one you recommended, with life time warranty). (I always consider myself a rock bottom level DIY beginner, though).

I have tried to buy a rebuilt PS pump from AutoZone, but somehow I don't trust the quality of the rebuilt stuffs in the past, and the minute I looked at their pump, I decided not to buy it (although it has a lifetime warranty), and do the rebuild myself just for the fun of it.

About the PS pump rebuild, the tuitorials from lexls.com and planetsoarer.com are excellent but to me the guide line from Lexus shop manual is the most important part of the combination.

I'd buy a pump from an online Lexus dealer if I had to do it again.

Good luck :D

Don

Great info, thanks! Did the kit include new vanes, impeller or housing? How did the existing internals look to you? Was the slide hammer for bearing removal? Was irontoad the only source for the kit, or the cheapest?

Thanks again,

John

The kit comes in a clear plastic bag, about 4x5", which contains all the replacement parts mentioned on the tuitorial at lexls.com:

- all the O rings mentioned in the tuitorial

- 2 snap rings

- 1 oil seal, and

- 1 union seat for Air control valve.

The tutorial didn't mention that the Front side plate needs 2 (two) new O rings, not one. That's why the Lexus manual was so important to me.

When I opened up my PS pump, it was all very dirty, and the oil seal and all the O rings lost their flexibility as stated in the tuitorial.

Yes, the slide hammer was used for bearing/shaft removal.

I bought the kit from Irontoad because of convenience at the time. I'm not sure it's the cheapest price or not. :D

hi i got my repair kit from newlexusparts.com 17%off msrp plus free shipping,

and just a reminder it is also a good idea to replace the pressure hose while youre there when everthing is apart, eventually this will be causing to leak, just a preventive maintenance, check my past thread on the topic "power steering pressure hose replace" just .02 :cheers:

The tuitorial didn't mention that the Front side plate needs 2 (two) new O rings, not one. That's why the Lexus manual was so important to me.

These two O rings are in the rebuild kit, right? Just wondering because I'm getting ready to rebuild my pump soon....ehhh.

I think I'm going to buy a new PS high pressure hose too....is it needed?

Right. These 2 O rings are included in the rebuid kit. The inner O ring (not the outer one) on the Front side plate, was not mentioned in the tutorial, that's why I'd like to remind you guys.

I could feel the difference after replacing the ball bearing on my pump.

Also, since ATF got into my alternator, I opened its back to clean the oil at the brushes area, and I found out that the brushes are "almost new" even after 208k and over 10 years of service. I think it can definitely go for another 208k!

Then I made an alternator cover using galvanized sheet metal, and folded and smoothed out at all the edges.

I didn't change my Hi pressure hose though. Maybe I should too. Let me know where you plan to buy it. Thanks. :D

Your tutorial said that it is mainly for the SC400. Maybe that makes the difference.

But on the Lexus shop manual for 1990 LS400 (page SR-111), the Front Side Plate needs 2 O-rings to be replaced, the outer and the INNER one. And all of these O rings are included in my rebuild kit that I bought from Lexus.

Sorry, but that's what happened to me. :D

hi i got my repair kit from newlexusparts.com 17%off msrp plus free shipping,

and just a reminder it is also a good idea to replace the pressure hose while youre there when everthing is apart, eventually this will be causing to leak, just a preventive maintenance, check my past thread on the topic "power steering pressure hose replace" just .02 :cheers:

Where did you buy the pressure hose? Was it OEM (~$300)or generic (by AC-Delco or the like.....at ~$64)? Do you think generic is OK to use?

Thanks.