400h Octane Rating

I know the owner's manual says that 87 octane is the minimum required and that 91 is recommended for improved preformance, but has anyone experienced any issues such as pinging when using 87 grade? Anyone noticed difference in performance, mpg or anything else when using higher/lower grades of fuel.

You won't experience any pinging using 87 octane. The engines are equipped with knock sensors which will !Removed! engine timing so you won't get any pinging. I use 87 octane most of the time on my RX330 without any problems. There has been tests that indicate you do get better performance & a few more gallons per tank using 91. One advantage of using 91 especially Chevron or Unocal is they add fuel injection cleaner in their gas. Chevron calls their additive Techroline. LOL

We filled up with regular (87). I don't know what the first tankful from the dealer was - anyone know what they usually put in. It is running fine with that though we haven't had it up in the mountains yet.

At some point we may try the middle grade (89) to see if it makes a difference in gas mileage.

Today it is raining again and we were in a short merge lane on a local street. The car went from 0 to 40 to merge into traffic. My husband, who was driving, said it felt like the traction control shifted power a couple of times to prevent slipping with the wet street but the car motion was entirely smooth to me as a passenger. It is very impressive.

We're using regular gas as well. After 520 miles, the RX400h is averaging 25.2 MPG with a good 50/50 mix of city/highway, often at 80 MPH speeds. To keep this in perspective, a Toyota Scion Xb box car with wimpy 4-cylinder engine averages 27.2 MPG (according to Popular Mechanics mag.). I'm very happy so far! :cheers:

I got so used to filling with premium in my last vehicle that I felt guilty using regular in a new $50k vehicle. But I did it anyway and can't tell the difference. The miles per gallon are good, but the miles per dollar is now even better!

I got so used to filling with premium in my last vehicle that I felt guilty using regular in a new $50k vehicle.  But I did it anyway and can't tell the difference.  The miles per gallon are good, but the miles per dollar is now even better!

Many people believe that premium fuel is "more powerful, more combustive" fuel. Not so. Lower octane fuel actually contains more pure gas than higher octane. Higher octane fuel contains additives to !Removed! the combustion and is designed for very high compression engines such as expensive sports cars. I have been running 87 octane fuel in my RX400h with no problems.

My experience with the 3.3 engine in the 330 is, try premium for at least 3 tankfuls. That's how long it took for the computer to fine tune to the fuel.

I learned this after complaining about acceleration above 50mph.

It does make a difference, but just filling up with one tank did not reflect much change.

The Service manager suggested trying 3 tankfuls, so I did.

Don't know if it will make as much difference with the 400h though.

BTW the dealers put premium in all their cars.

I've been using regular gas and can't imagine why anyone would be looking for more power from the RX400h. It really does feel like the power is limitless.