Tapping Sound...

When I bought this car..96 Toyota Windom ES300.. Second hand.. The dealer told me about a tapping sound that it sometimes made.. As I was too busy looking, and not listening. He told me that most Toyota engines made that sound... At the time didnt think much of it, and so didnt think about it... Well driving to work lately, I notice that if I pull up at a set of lights and leave it in Drive. Sometimes the motor will slightly rev a little higher, and thats when I will notice it., but settles when I put it in Neutral...

Now I checked the oil the other day, and the oil is clean, but because it was clean, it was hard to read the level on the dip stick... The timing belt and everything have been changed, and she only has 85,000kms on the clock.. The oil light hasnt come on at all, but could the sound be a lack of oil? I really have no idea... Also, what is everyones average fuel consumption rate.. Would love to get an idea!! Miles and Kms are fine.. I lived in America, so can work it all out...

:ph34r: Chris :ph34r:

WELL.... im still getting 16miles per gallon... I'm wating till july to do get my oil/brakes/tuneup/etc... so hopefully that will ALL get it higher... As for the Tapping sound? well i don't really notice a tapping noise, but i do think one of my belts is loose as i get a belt rubbing noise... kinda anoying on a car that is suppose to be pretty quiet while in idle... My engine DOES rev high sometimes, even when stopped. I know this sounds kinda dumb.. but is your Air conditioning on? a/c? Cause that demands power from the engine. But a tapping noise.. i don't know what or where that would come from... Open your hood and listen for where it is comming from, then let us know :)

~Brian~

Yeah, already knew about the a/c, but not a silly thing to say, so dont worry... The tapping is nothing major or annoying, but just every now and then it will appear... As for him saying that most Toyota motors have a tap to them just seems a little far fetched for me... Anyways, will let you know what I work out...

At the momment, I am in between half and and quater full on my tank.. And I am around the 300km mark... As for driving in Japan, it is all city driving, so no where to less loose... So happy if i get 400+kms out of a full tank...Also, I have noticed that when I am around the quarter full, my petrol seems to run out faster. I have also noticed that my gauge will re adjust itself on the clock heavily when I am sitting on an upward hill, and then will balance its self out when moving down.. Strange, but I think I will need a new full tank monitor? How many miles do you guys get when the empty light comes on?

depending on how i feel that week (which is about how long my tank of gas lasts), i can average about 19 mpg to about 23 mpg. the lowest i've averaged for a tank is 15 (i was going crazy that week with flooring the car everywhere i went, basically driving like a wannabe racecar driver :P ). but usually i'll average about 22-23. the only reason i know this is because of that nifty computer guage that tells me all this info. as to how many miles i get when the light comes on, i think i get about 40 miles (the computer also tells me how many miles to empty)... although i might be able to get more, since i've been at 0 miles until empty for a little while until i pulled into a gas station (that was scary, thought i was gonna be stuck in the middle of the freeway :o ) now as to the tapping, no idea where that would come from...

the tapping should be the valves needing to be readjusted as there is too much lash between the valve and the camshaft from where

it will have to get shims installed to adjust,odd as many other manufacturers use a self adjusting one or even just a screw nut no the valve rather than a shim

try a heavier oil in the mean time

i use 5w 50 in the summer

mobil 1 syn

it does not get hot eough to need that heavy an oil but i like the freedom if needed for heavy traffic and reduced wear

i get 600 km to a tank with mixed highway and city

550 if i feel like driving harder than normal

with an intkae and exhaust which also has gained a reduction in fuel

did you check to see if there's some kind of dwarf inside your engine trying to tap out some SOS signs? :P

how loud are the taps? is it really quiet and just taps a couple times before it stops? or does it continue for a while?

Nothing major.. It just taps every now and then when sitting idle.. Its not loud, but as for me, its not too annoying. But I am strange about things that just dont seem right?

Its like a mosquito while you are sleeping. You can here him, want to get rid of him, but cant see him...

Also tell me if you have heard about only Toyota having a tapping sound to their engines?

stand in front/side of the, have someone else step on the brake and put it in gear then back to neutral. Try to pinpoint the sound.

It may be the valves or it may be a fuel injector may be going bad. try to pinpoint where the noise comes from.

24 mpg city, 30 mpg highway

good luck.

steviej

yeah i get the sound too ....

yeah .. what are shims ?? please explain .. dont get that part....

i was curious:unsure: cause i get that tapping noise too... and well .... yeah its annoying :blink:

:chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot:

and well

21 city... 29 highway ....

owned! B)

NT

Wow.. 24miles to the gallon in city driving?

That works out to about 9kms to the litre... As I live in Japan, there is really no such thing as highway driving.. Well the way I have to go to work anyways..

And so, everywhere I go is city driving.. And I am only getting 6.5-7kms to the litre which works out to about 17miles to the gallon?

I am not technically minded, but have a single pipe on the back with a twin head exaust, and basically as I know it, a stock motor...

What can I do to increase my performance a little. Even if I could get another km or 2 out of it, I will be happy.. I am going to try the heavier oil. But any thing I can run through the fuel, or engine to help me out? Any tricks would be helpfull!.. Which way should I hold my tongue when driving? That sought of stuff!

shims are small plastic or metal plates used to take the place of worn metal

the noise you hear is the camshaft hitting the top of the valve because there is a gap

just like tapping any thing else it is the noise from first contact

if it was with minimal wear the it would be touching all the time and there would be noise noise as it is always touching

Comming to work today, I had no tapping sound..

Hhhhmmm very strange?....

ps. still waiting for my badges.. As I asked people what I should make my new screen name. I got a few replies. But might just have to keep it a surprise, and see if you recognise me when I come back on with the new name????

i think i am about to get even more to a tank now

i just replaced the battery and terminals and all the gounds and power wires from the battery

WOW

the car starts much faster and runs much stronger

also the lights on the dash are no longer dimming

there is a ground right uner the battery tray which i thionk was the biggest culprit

it was breaking and slitghtly corroded

time to go back to the dyno