I Ask Why?!

GRAND_LS 4

Take a look at this article in the last issue of Road & Track last month, and I was really challenging myself to come up with an answer as to WHY they hadn’t added the 2004-5 LS430 with the UL package? Why I ask?

We all know the LS as won numerous prestigious awards from many magazines, we also know that the 2001 LS430 won the best luxury car in North America, so why did the guys at R&T magazine not acknowledge this type of accomplishment?

They tested the A8 and Phaeton, two luxury cars from essentially the same company but didn’t even bother to add the LS into the comparison? Is it because they THINK the LS isn’t worthy of such test? Or not on par with these cars? Because I know many, including myself that would take an LS over any car in their test. Is it due to price? We all know the UL LS430 is MSRP'ed at around $75K, in par with the others.

Has anyone emailed them by the way? I would be particularity interested to hear what they have to say.

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?se...article_id=2151

415200512513.jpg

You know, it's just an opinion. THink about it. Right now the New GS isn't as highly rated by any of the top selling magazines.

You know, it's just an opinion.  THink about it.  Right now the New GS isn't as highly rated by any of the top selling magazines.

If they add the Ls430, it will win again. I've driven these vehicles above, they are nothing compare to our Ls430......

JPI

The Road & Track article to which you are referring covered cars a bit more "limousine-like" in the rear seat than the LS430 UL. The wheelbases of the cars tested ranged from 118.1 (VW Phaeton V8) to 124.3 (Jaguar XJ8 L). The LS430 with a wheelbase of 115.2 inches was probably seen as having rear seat space below the comfort threshold of others.

The LS would have likely been included if Toyota had not cancelled the longer wheelbase V12 LS which was considered for introduction in the early/mid 90's. The long wheelbase V12 Toyota Century sold in Asia is a real "hoot" - looks like the Mercedes 600 from the 1960's: http://www.autogallery.com.hk/product.php?id=377

There are probably some interesting reasons why Toyota did not want to sell a larger, more powerful LS and create two distinct tiers of LS ownership.

I think Jim's got it, the LS430 is too small to be compared with those cars, even if it has been in the past.

Lexus IS coming out with a LWB version of the LS in 2006. They'll be the current size, and a more expensive car closer in size to an S class or 750Li.

Could it be because all those cars are german / european? No Infiniti Q45 either.

I was thinking perhaps because the LS would be the oldest platform. Or perhaps it was just a european comparo only. Infiniti's flagship isn't there either so I wouldn't worry to much about it. ;) B)

:cheers:

Hahahaha!!! :cheers:

...and must have ghosts in the electrical circuits! You know, who really wants to lower the driver's side window with the driver's side window switch, when you can turn the A/C as well with the same switch! Hahahaha

I think the criteria for car selection for the article was to only feature cars that spend 25% or more of their life in the dealership's service bay.

lol bran! :lol: B)

:cheers: