1996 Ls 400 Lexus Portable Plus Telephone

I have attached a photo of my portable plus handset for my 1996 LS400. The dealer said this handset is dying and cannot be repaired . Does anyone have a properly functioning one of these handsets that they want to sell? I really like the handsfree features and the lowering of the stereo ,etc with an incoming call. Thanks.

I seem to remember from a post on another Lexus forum that one of the versions of the Portable Plus handsets was made by Qualcomm. In this particular case, a an Qualcomm handset - identical to the Lexus Portable Plus handset - did not function with the Lexus phone system - there might have been some custom software on the Qualcomm phones sold as Lexus Portable Plus phones.

It is not difficult to interface a more modern phone kit (including Bluetooth) to mute your audio system when a call is in progress - I've done this on both our 2000 LS and 1998 Toyota Camry. You will be likely have to give up the use of your steering wheel phone command module - probably not a great loss since many modern phones and car kits have better voice dialing and auto answer/hang up. Yes, you would likely have to add an external speaker and microphone. If I remember right, the Portable Plus phone was rather LARGE - wouldn't you rather carry a smaller, lighter phone?

Here is a link to to another thread that has my lame doc on how I installed a now out of production Nokia phone kit in a 00 LS and made it mute the audio system when a call is in progress: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...?showtopic=7791

Most aftermarket phone car kits have a mute wire that can be attached to the Lexus OEM phone wiring or directly to the audio system head unit or amplifier depending on which audio system the car has - or to the wiring for the defunct "Lexus Link". As far as I know, all phone car kits ground their mute wires when a call is in progress.

• 6 months later...