1990-1994 Ls400 Gauge Cluster

LexKid630

I was wondering if anyone knew how the 90-94 clusters work. Some of the warning indicator lights are just on the plastic surface!! It's almost like they're projected onto the tinted plastic. I think a laser on the top piece of plastic is shooting the reflection? how does this work? Is it like a laser pointer?

This is a really cool feature; i miss it on my 90 Ls400. Why didn't the 95+ models and every other lexus cluster not have this? It really makes the warning light STAND OUT!!

thanks if anyone knows a little about the topic ;)

It's almost like they're projected onto the tinted plastic.

That's exactly how it is!! Notice the top of the cluster housing has all of the malfunction lights lined up, and when one needs to be lit, it shines the light on the instrument cluster. I actually kind of found those lights irritating when I test drove 90-94 models. I like the plain, boring setup my 95 has...the text read out in the 98+ is soooo cool! B)

And thats excactly why they changed it, customers found it irritating. The gauge clusters in the 90-94 models are much more "3D" looking than the newer cars.

It makes it appaer "floating" on everything else!! SO COOL...and i do remember finding it annoying sometimes. Also i couldn't see it in direct sunlight. It does look 3-D WOW

My cadillac DTS had something similar to this. Except it wasn't like a laser pointer. it was just a screen on the plastic flap over the cluster. It would light up, just light up, and the 45 degree angle of the tinted plastic would show the image like a mirror. Only the green "light" in this case would show. So cool. but, as you would look at the cluster from the side, it would be over the MPH; a little agrivating.

That's nice

How do the lights work??

The indicators are LED driven with a mask over them to give the shape.

Look where the are located at the top of the cluster

See the clear plastic over the speedo and guages. Notice the funny angle it has

The indicators start at the top of the cluster hit the clear plastic cover and are bounced (kind of like a mirror) back to where you can see them.

The 3 D affect can be explained as follows. Use a tape measure and measure from where the indicator is to the clear plastic cover (say 6 inches) When you look at the indicator it appears to be 6 inches behind the clear plastic cover.

Hope this helps!

Ron