Transmission Problem?

Hey guys,

I know nothing about cars, so I have a quick question. I drive a 95 es300 with 92,000 miles and when I accelerate slowly, the first and second gear give a jump to my car with a loud thump sound, but for the higher gears they dont make that sound. also, when i accelerate fast, the gears seem fine. and, the gear problem is also not just when i first start the car...it is throughout the whole day after i've been driving it for a while. please help!

Hey guys,

I know nothing about cars, so I have a quick question.  I drive a 95 es300 with 92,000 miles and when I accelerate slowly, the first and second gear give a jump to my car with a loud thump sound, but for the higher gears they dont make that sound.  also, when i accelerate fast, the gears seem fine.  and, the gear problem is also not just when i first start the car...it is throughout the whole day after i've been driving it for a while.  please help!

What is the maintenance history of the transmission? IE: have all regular tranny fluid changes been performed on time? :unsure:

:cheers:

all the fluids have been changed regularly, and the car has been running pretty fine for the most part. doesnt the dogbone mount just hold the engine? or does it have other purposes? like how exactly does that piece cause the sound?

request somebody to seat in car,start the car, leave the hood open and you watch the engine movement. now request driver to push the brake and put in D and R

you will get the picture.

• 2 weeks later...

The transmission quit this weekend. I have a 95 ES300 with 95K miles. Friday the speedometer quit while I was driving, then the check engine light came on, then the overdrive light started flashing. Then it shuttered at a stop light and quit moving. kinda like it was in neutral. I ahd to be towed to the dealer.

The dealer states there is a bad "speed sensor" code. But, they want to replace the entire tranny.

I'm just haveing a hard time believing the trans is shot when it was working (and shifting) fine. I always have the service performed regularly.

Any ideas? or suggestions?

mnorrell@lg.com

1995 ES300, pearl white

Added 15:12 - The report from the dealer is error code P0500 "internal failure", speed sensor. The dealer says the speed sensors okay, but the thing is coming apart inside. He suggest replacing, I just don't know.........

Added 15:12 - The report from the dealer is error code P0500 "internal failure", speed sensor. The dealer says the speed sensors okay, but the thing is coming apart inside. He suggest replacing, I just don't know.........

Did the dealer give you an estamate on how much this would cost to fix? :unsure:

Did the dealer give you an estamate on how much this would cost to fix? :unsure:

Hi Mark,

Check my posting on the tranny problem I originated on 12/14/03. My wife still drives our 94 ES300. We had basically the same problems you described that affected the automatic transmission. I had a non-dealer transmission shop change the speedometer speed sensor and the transmission, speedometer, flashing overdrive lights, etc all went away after the replacement. Everything has been running great now for over a year. Two separate dealers had recommended a new transmission for $3500 to $4000. Most Lexus dealers have not trained their mechanics to diagnose tranny related problems. Their standard reply is "there is a lot of internal problems, your only choice is to change the tranny" (even if the code is staring them in the face). This is usually B.S. Check my posting #6 and #10 with schematic attached there for exact location, testing and do it your self instructions. A new sensor is about $125 to $225 depending where you buy it. It is definitely a simple replacement (remove one bolt and unplug one power wire). I called 15 dealers in the USA after I pin pointed the problem myself. A few stated they replace up to 5 speed sensors per month. Most of the dealers I called had never replaced one of these sensors. Guess who paid for their incompetence? The dealer that I paid for mis-diagnosing my tranny problem apologized, but refused to refund my servce charges. I plan to pursue that response further now that we've had a year of trouble free performance. I hope this info helps and saves you some cash. Please post your reply on the forum .....Nigel

ibepuffin9,

I agree with camlex, bad motor mounts can cause the noisy symptoms you described. I would recommend changing both motor mounts. The top dog bone motor mount is easy to find and replace by the do-it-your-selfer. The front motor mount is partially hidden and more difficult to change and is actually a gel-filled motor mount which is more expensive. Considering the age/mileage of your car and especially since the upper mount is broken which causes more wear on the front mount, it should also be replaced. Hopefully the faulty mounts have not already caused other damage and the replacements will solve your problem. Good luck..........Nigel