High Idle At Startup

VBdenny

My 1990 400 starts flawlessly however the idle runs at about 1500 RPM's for about 3-4 minutes even in the summer. The dealer told me this is normal and controlled by the computer. Anyone else experience this? Just wondering if this is typical.

it is perfectly normal to have 1500 rpm, i have it all year on the cold engine, they drop down when engine heats up to around 3/4 of the normal speed

Hey everyone,

Thanks, I've never had a car that idled that high beofre. Mine drops off to 600RPM's after about 3 minutes wich isn't a problem for me except that I bought the car for my wife and she is a key to shifter girl. I guess I was checking to see what everyone elses 400's did on startup. Denny

I noticed last night that my car goes about 10mph with my foot off the gas pedal in Drive. The car was fully warmed up too. Is that normal? I really haven't drove my car that much over the last few months since I bought it. Great ride.

Hey guys..

I have the same high RPM thing going on with my LS too, right when I start it up its pretty high, i guess to warm up the parts.

and another thing I noticed is sometimes when I have it on DRIVE without my foot being on the pedal, it goes pretty fast,( around 15-18 KM/H) just like TODD said, but other times, it doesnt go as fast, maybe because of the oxygen levels? i did an experiment and after I left it outside for a couple hours it did 15-18km/h, but if it was in the garage or on hot, humid days it wouldnt go as fast...

this doesnt bother me nor it is a problem i just like to EVERYTHING about my car.. :P :P B) hehe