New Member / New (used) Lexus

dm23

Love my new 1994 black Lexus sc300 with 112,000 miles on it. Few questions though. The a/c blows very cold but is noisy from the engine compartment, possibly the compressor?

The timing belt has been replaced at 37,000 miles according to the tag on the engine, pretty early. Should I replace it again just in case?

The ect/normal button: It seems in ect mode it shifts harder and the rpm's wind out more, but there is a hesitation in either mode. Power comes on slow, even if I floor it until about 3-4000 rpms. Is this normal?

Thanks, any help is appreciated!

Dan

I'm guessing yours is an auto, a trick I learnt is that if you floor it like you did the power to the wheels is lost in the gearbox. Don't ask me to explain it as I was half clued when someone told me.

Basically the gearbox doesn't allow all the power to go down to the wheels, the best way around this to kill that dead spot is to throttle at about 75% from start then once you feel your past around 50km/h you start pushing down further (no instantly) this will give you smooth powerful acceleration.

I've compared it against a friends soarer when both of ours were stock and this method was the winner, of course there are so many other things to take into consideration but generally this was the best way to put the power down without losing soo much torque on the lower end trying to get it up.

As for your aircon, if the noise sounds like a huge fan blowing then that's normal, but if oyu get a screeching or squeel like a bearing is missing then I suggest first to gease the wheel carefully to see if it removes the noise, try not to get any on the belt as it will eventually cause it to crack.

It is recommended to change belts every 60k miles. I thing it would be a good idea to do a complete tune-up on that car. Great car by the way and welcome to the club. Exo is right. Get a torque converter and free up that slushbox. Have the a/c inspected when you get your tune-up.

Welcome to the USLOC.

Thanks guys! Yep, you're right. If I press the gas about 75% or so it accelerates fine, but flooring it doesn't work. Not a big deal, I'll just have to get used to it. (it is an automatic)

The a/c sound isn't really a screaching sound, just a loud vibration I guess.

About how much am I looking at for a timing belt change? How hard is it to do myself?

you should check if your a/c compressor clutch has been changed i think its about $200 for parts. I changed mine and you couldnt even tell if the a/c was on it was so quiet as for changing the timing belt its fairly easy, and it helps if you have a factory repairmanual that tells you step by step with pictures on how to do things, other than that a good set of tools is all you need

expect to pay a little more or less than $100 for the timing belt. what is involved in changing it is for you to probably drain and remove you radiator and fan assembly then the covers that cover the front of the engine, bringing the engine to top dead center loosening the timing belt tensioner and the hardest part will probably be braking the main engine pully loose then you either carefully tap the pully off or use a puller which is recomended. taking it appart and putting it all back will take a first timer at least a day if your not sure start early in the week end if thats when you have time