Selling My 03 Rx300

LexKid630

I have finally decided that i can't wait for my 400h to come in to sell my current rx300. It's driving me crazy; i just don't like it. It's been the most troubling car i have owned for some time now, and am getting tired of fixing it over and over again.

As of tonight, it has 65,520 miles on it (all highway). pretty much everything that could go, has gone so it's all fixed; except for the transmission which should be going in the next 4k miles according to my 99 rx's data LOL

It's a coach edition; all gold. The interior is ivory with the wood steering + shift knob etc. The leather is in average condition for a 65k mile car. I haven't made any mods to it; still like stock. It has the navigation package which works very well. I put on it a stainless steel grille guard on the front, but it is removable. It is in pervect condition as well.

The paint is average; unfortunately it's only been washed whenever the dealer's done at t services etc. I waxed it last week for the first time LOL and i have to say it looks pretty shiny. There is a scratch about 2 inches long, not very deep, on the rear tailgate under the right light. There is also a 1.5 inch curved scratch under the antenna.

The headlight lense is not cracked or scratched at all. There are obviously some minor sand marks in the plastic from driving on the highway. Only average.

The tires were just replaced a few weeks ago. The rims are perfect, all polished chrome. no scrapes at all.

How should i sell this? trade in to a dealer or sell privately? I justg want the best deal. Thanks

You will get more naturally by selling the car privately rather than trading it in to the dealer. Have a look at what other RX's are selling for both on dealer lots & privately to have a rough idea of what yours is worth. Do you have all service records accounted for if you decide to sell it yourself? That will be very important to a possible buyer considering the engine sludge concerns. B)

:cheers:

You will get more naturally by selling the car privately rather than trading it in to the dealer.  Have a look at what other RX's are selling for both on dealer lots & privately to have a rough idea of what yours is worth.  Do you have all service records accounted for if you decide to sell it yourself?  That will be very important to a possible buyer considering the engine sludge concerns.  B)

:cheers:

i have all the service and "repair" records stored in the glove compartment. Im selling it in 2-3 weeks, so i'll put an ad in the paper then.

dealer trade value would be abput $14,000 for a clean well serviced car. Thats the galves value which most dealers will use for trades

only 14k!!! WOW;how can they sell it back for up to 30k for an 03? what's robbery!! That's more than double....

un the private ads they're selling them for around 28k

an 03 is a 2 year old car with a warranty that the dealer certified and is making a profit on at that price. A 99 does not qualify for the certified warranty so dealer re-sale is about $17k. No matter how nice it is there is always about a $1000 is repairs they need to do to re-sell the car and make it lot ready. Time they advertise the car , floorplan the car and pay commisions they are lucky to come with a $1k profit.

its alot easier for a customer to buy a 2001-02 certified car because he can justify the price with 5yr financing at low rates, where is a 99 has 48 months at double digit interest rates.Thats why you are better selling private and finding the cash buyer

dealer trade value would be abput $14,000 for a clean well serviced car. Thats the galves value which most dealers will use for trades

only 14k!!! WOW;how can they sell it back for up to 30k for an 03? what's robbery!! That's more than double....

un the private ads they're selling them for around 28k

One thing i don't like about selling it privately is that i know i'm robbing them :( When they ask how it is, and i say it's in wonderful shape, i'm lying to them!! If i told them it was in bad shape, they would never buy it! but still it's their fault for buying a used one anyway; you never know what you're getting...

www.autotrader.com

I sold my old car in less than 24 hours using autotrader, and I got cash - a bunch of 100-dollar bills. It really works. Also, using Autotrader.com, you can see what other people in your zip code are selling their cars for, and you can price accordingly. My 2 cents.

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with your RX300.

I was coached by a friend who sold his car via AutoTrader.

I created a document with extra pictures and a list of stuff wrong with the car, and a list of stuff right with the car. That way I could email it to anyone who asked or hand it out if someone came to look at the car. I made sure to tell the buyer what I thought was wrong with the car. i.e.: hear that noise? That's the front brakes, or possibly the bearings, or both.

I went to some legal website and printed out a "bill of sale" appropriate to vehicles, and made sure it said:

1) car is sold AS IS

2) buyer's job to do Smog test.

3) vin number.

4) blank areas for buyer's address, name etc. and selling price.

I tried to find this type of document in Quicken/Lawyer 2002, but couldn't find it.

When I sold the car, all we had to do was fill out and sign "bill of sale", and fill out the Title. Then I scanned both documents on my PC's scanner and printed out extra copies. And I mailed the Title to the DMV.

And take that wad of cash to the bank (some of you may be tempted to take it to a Texas Hold-em game, or a strip club... advice: don't)

My backup plan on the cash, if presented with a Cashier's check, was to have all parties drive it over to the bank, deposit it and make sure it cleared, and then use one of the tables at the bank to complete the paper work. No way was I going to be holding a check.

That was it.

I don't mind buying a car; it's selling i hate!! I don't like money transactions unless i'm paying someone else. Taking money from people isn't my thing LOL  Of course there's the job!!

just wondering if you sold your car. im looking for one. please contact me via pm

thanks

bryan

I don't mind buying a car; it's selling i hate!! I don't like money transactions unless i'm paying someone else. Taking money from people isn't my thing LOL  Of course there's the job!!

just wondering if you sold your car. im looking for one. please contact me via pm

thanks

bryan

Just traded it in yesterday :unsure: Oh well, aded it in for an 05 LS..

They gave me 22 for it. I thought that was pretty good. Oh and you wouldn't want mine, it was horrible! Trust me, any other rx is better. + it had 66k miles, it couldn't be certified anyway.

wow you got $22,000 for your 99 rx300 with navigation and 66k miles?? that is so awesome man! to put this into my perspective, i paid $25,000 for my 01 rx300 fwd w/o navigation and 53k miles....im not sure is this was a good or bad deal though.

was it?

wow you got $22,000 for your 99 rx300 with navigation and 66k miles?? that is so awesome man! to put this into my perspective, i paid $25,000 for my 01 rx300 fwd w/o navigation and 53k miles....im not sure is this was a good or bad deal though.

was it?

no, it was a 2003. I had a 99 but sold it for the 03.

Sold the 03 for 22k$ with 66k mi?  That sounds like a good deal for the buyer (on paper), except you (the seller) said it was a lemon.  I wonder why this one had so many problems?

It had so many problems because it was mine LOL It seems everything i own breaks. just bad luck i guess... At the time i really didn't care what i got for it; all i wanted was the LS! + i felt bad that someone else is gonna own the rx after me. That rx wasn't even worth 15,000 to be perfectly honest.

I am an honest person ;)

Sold the 03 for 22k$ with 66k mi?  That sounds like a good deal for the buyer (on paper), except you (the seller) said it was a lemon.  I wonder why this one had so many problems?

It had so many problems because it was mine LOL It seems everything i own breaks. just bad luck i guess... At the time i really didn't care what i got for it; all i wanted was the LS! + i felt bad that someone else is gonna own the rx after me. That rx wasn't even worth 15,000 to be perfectly honest.

I am an honest person ;)

I hate to rehash this thread but as a seller all you can do is provide the service records and then let the buyer make his or her decision.

You cannot predict the future, I once bought a so called lemon from a co-worker and it ran flawlessly for almost 2 years.

LexKid630 - Dude, you must have had some bad Karma on that RX300. I assume below your name are all the cars from Lexus that you own or have owned... I wonder why the RX300 was such a lemon to you. Sounded like my 1970 Volvo 164.

-Dave

LexKid630 - Dude, you must have had some bad Karma on that RX300.  I assume below your name are all the cars from Lexus that you own or have owned...  I wonder why the RX300 was such a lemon to you.  Sounded like my 1970 Volvo 164.

-Dave

All those lexus's are in perfect condition except for the 03 Ls (my son crasjed it 4 times so it's pretty beat up). The rx was a fluke. My 99 rx was a fluke too b/c it had most of the same problems.