Another High Idle Thread

NWFLS400

I have read through numerous threads on the characteritics of the LS400 idle control. My question is related to going into Reverse or Drive when it is still as high idle when cold (1500 rpm - after it has slowed a bit from its initial 1900 rpm - about 15 seconds). I have only owned 2 automatics compared to about 15 standards, so I am not positve of the ramifications, but it does not seem that it would be healthy for the tranny or the rear end.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Charles

i always wait until the engine worms up and rpm drops and i would recommend you to do the same, ls400 engine worms up pretty fast. another option is a remote start:)

i heavily use this feature and it saves me few mins a day:)

I have read through numerous threads on the characteritics of the LS400 idle control. My question is related to going into Reverse or Drive when it is still as high idle when cold (1500 rpm - after it has slowed a bit from its initial 1900 rpm - about 15 seconds). I have only owned 2 automatics compared to about 15 standards, so I am not positve of the ramifications, but it does not seem that it would be healthy for the tranny or the rear end.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Charles

well, owner's manual states that 'after engine runs for about 10 seconds, you are ready to drive', and that's the exact printed words. so I figure the engine/tranny must be thoroughly tested to guarantee proper and harmless operation under high-RPM, low-temp condition. especially the outrageous gas price nowadays, you don't really want to idle the engine for too long and get 0-mile per gallon!

however, it also states that 'if the weather is below freezing, let he engine warm up for a few minutes before driving....'

Thanks for the replies. You are probably right, if the book says it is ok, then it probably been tested under those conditions. It is kept in a garage that is heated, so it never see below 50 deg, expect when I leave work to come home.

At a minimum I usual wait for the 1st rpm decline 1900 down to 1500, that only takes about 30 seconds.

Thanks again -