Swaybar Bushings

majkmil

I an going to replace my swaybar bushings and I need to know the best way to do it. Should I just jack the car up and put it on stands or do I need ramps. Ant other tips would be appreciated. Thanks Mark

BTW its a 98LS with 60K

I an going to replace my swaybar bushings and I need to know the best way to do it. Should I just jack the car up and put it on stands or do I need ramps. Ant other tips would be appreciated. Thanks Mark

BTW its a 98LS with 60K

I'm thinking of installing new swaybar businhgs on my 98 LS as well. Where did you get the bushings, what kind and how much???

I have a clunking sound coming from the front right of the car and from the research I've done, everyone thinks I need new busings.

Thanks,

PK

In my opinion a good pair of floor jacks are always safer than ramps. Ramps are a little  tricky to get on & off.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it made a difference if the wheels were hanging down or having the weight of the car on the wheels, I hope I am making my self clear because it seems that if would make a difference when working on the swaybar.

Keep in mind that when your car gets worked on at the dealer or a shop they only use hoists with lift points under the frame & the wheels are hanging. Good Luck!

Thank You

I've done this before on a different car. You want to jack it up and then put it on jack stands. You don't want any pressure when you're working with the suspension. The job should be pretty simple as long as you don't encounter any tough bolts.

Ditto. I've messed w/ sway bar bushings and links on a different car. In my limited experience, you don't want any pressure on the wheels, and especially don't want to jack one wheel up at a time when replacing sway bar links. Use two jackstands/jacks. Things can get 'torquey' when working on suspension parts. Always use jackstands and rear tire blocks!

Thanks guys, One last question. When use my floor jack I position it behind the front wheel where the two indentations are on the underbody. I put my jack stand next to the jack but it's a tight fit. Is this the only (best place) for jack stands. Thanks

Replaced the bushings last December.

The rear can be done without jacking it up. I did use a jack on the front because there is just not enough room to get unter there. With the wheel hanging, it was no problem.

By the way, the bushings did not look worn, but new ones made an incredible difference in ride. No more 'clunk' over those speed bumps.

I replaced my stock rubber bushings with race type polyurethane bushings. Sorry, it's been so long ago I can't remember the source. At the same time I replaced the swaybar. Increased the diameter by 3/16". Now it corners like A BMW instead of a Buick. The poly bushings along will sure help cornering.