Ls 400 Start Problem

Archie

My 95 LS 400 has decided it doesn't want to crank over. You have to rock the ignition key several times and then it will start up.

The solenoid pulls in each time but the starter won't turn over. I tried a new battery but didn't fix the problem. I also cleaned the battery contacts etc.

Other then a bad starter got any ideas?

My 95 LS 400 has decided it doesn't want to crank over. You have to rock the ignition key several times and then it will start up.

The solenoid pulls in each time but the starter won't turn over.  I tried a new battery but didn't fix the problem. I also cleaned the battery contacts etc.

The solenoid pulls in each time but the starter won't turn over.  I tried a new battery but didn't fix the problem. I also cleaned the battery contacts etc.

Did you remove and clean both metal sides of the two positive cables that are attached to battery terminal connector?

You could check the wire contacts on the starter to make sure they are solid and not coroded, loose, or frayed. Ulitmately it soundl like you will need a new starter.

You could remove it and try cleaning the contacts like some may suggest, but that is only temporary. Your car is 10 years old. At this point (barring any contact problems) a new one would be the best way to go IMO

Does any one know if the brushes on the starter are replaceable?

The usual problem with Toyota starters is with the contacts within the solenoid. The solenoid plunger has a copper ring that connects two copper tabs to drive the starter motor. One tab gets burnt away gradually until the ring won't make solid enough contact to pass the current. If you replace these tabs and clean up the ring on the plunger, the starter will go another 200,000 miles. I've seen tab & pluger kits on Ebay for $20 to $30, or you can go to a shop that rebuilds starters and ask for new ones. Bring your old ones to match. There are billions of these Toyota-type starters out there (even have one on the wife's Chrysler), they all sound the same, and last forever, except for the contacts, but there are variations in the Tabs. It's an easy job, in fact, if pressed, you could clean, bend and replace the old tabs to get you through the winter.

• 2 years later...

Was that the problem with your starter? Is there more information on that problem? My 95 ls 400 just quit starting. Battery is new, the starter doesn't even click or try to start.

I did find this information:

http://lemon.onecle.com/LEXUS-LS400.html

Summary: DUE TO IMPROPER ASSEMBLY OF THE TERMINAL FOR THE STARTER MOTOR MAGNETIC SWITCH, AN ELECTRICAL SHORT CIRCUIT CAN OCCUR IF ELECTRICALLY-CONDUCTIVE LIQUID, SUCH AS ROAD SPLASH WITH DEICING SALT, ENTERS THIS AREA.

Interestingly enough, it was a rainy day when this occurred but I don't think salt was in the water though since I do live in hot AZ.

Was that the problem with your starter? Is there more information on that problem? My 95 ls 400 just quit starting. Battery is new, the starter doesn't even click or try to start.

I did find this information:

http://lemon.onecle.com/LEXUS-LS400.html

Summary: DUE TO IMPROPER ASSEMBLY OF THE TERMINAL FOR THE STARTER MOTOR MAGNETIC SWITCH, AN ELECTRICAL SHORT CIRCUIT CAN OCCUR IF ELECTRICALLY-CONDUCTIVE LIQUID, SUCH AS ROAD SPLASH WITH DEICING SALT, ENTERS THIS AREA.

Interestingly enough, it was a rainy day when this occurred but I don't think salt was in the water though since I do live in hot AZ.

Well the starter was fine. The neutral safety switch was dirty. Switching the car into neutral allowed it to fire right up. From there I was able to rock the shifter up and down a few times. It now starts up every time in the standard park mode.