Rpm Fluctuate

clickart

Mine does the same thing. The only time I really notice it is when trying to park in a tight spot. When doing this, the last thing I need is an engine that revs up 3 or 4 hundred rpms! :o I am going to talk to the dealer about it when I have the 5000-mile service done. I hope they don’t try to tell me it’s normal as I have never had a car that did this before.

Mine does the same thing. The only time I really notice it is when trying to park in a tight spot. When doing this, the last thing I need is an engine that revs up 3 or 4 hundred rpms! :o  I am going to talk to the dealer about it when I have the 5000-mile service done. I hope they don’t try to tell me it’s normal as I have never had a car that did this before.

let me know what the dealer says

• 2 weeks later...

The engine should rev higher when stopped w/ the AC on. The AC loads the engine, so it compensates. If it didn't, it would feel like it was idling too low and was going to stall. My old toyota truck does the same thing. It was even more noticeable after installing a new TRD cam at 125K mi. The mechanic/owner of the indep. Toyota/Lexus shop in LA, who had the same truck (now has a LS400), said the rpm's were supposed to increase at a stop w/ the AC on, and attributed the roughness to the new cam. There's a screw near the throtte body on this engine that one can "tweak" the idle when AC is on (also another screw to tweak the idle w/ AC off), but he advised against it, so I left it alone. After maybe 5-10K miles of break-in, it settled down and wasn't nearly as rough anymore.

• 1 year later...

I think my GX does the same thing when the car is not warm up. Once it warm up, it is at a steady 6000 rpm.

Surely you mean 600 rpm....otherwise you have other problems.