Rear Differential

Hey I was reading through the forum and came across a post asking about what type of oil the rear differential takes. Where do u check the oil level for the rear differential? How do u fill it? I ask because about a 2 weeks ago I started to notice some "jumping" when I get to the car and shift from park to rev etc... Before I couldn't even tell when I was switching gears. The jumping feels like it's coming from the rear of the car. It only does it when I'm switching gears from a stopped position and it doesn't do it all the time. I don't notice any difference in shifting while driving. I have a 98 GS 300 Any ideas?

Hey I was reading through the forum and came across a post asking about what type of oil the rear differential takes. Where do u check the oil level for the rear differential? How do u fill it? I ask because about a 2 weeks ago I started to notice some "jumping" when I get to the car and shift from park to rev etc... Before I couldn't even tell when I was switching gears. The jumping feels like it's coming from the rear of the car. It only does it when I'm switching gears from a stopped position and it doesn't do it all the time. I don't notice any difference in shifting while driving. I have a 98 GS 300 Any ideas?

It dosen't explain things in your owners manual? :unsure: If you don't have one, contact Lexus USA directly & from what I hear, they will mail you a free OM. B)

:cheers:

I don't think the owner manual would cover the diff, it's not an item you check normally.

There should be a threaded plug on the side of the diff, on a level surface, unscrew the plug and the oil should be level with the bottom of the hole. I replaced mine with Amsoil oil even though the original looked fine. However, your problem sound more like a tranny or driveshaft problem. <_<

I never actually looked at mine. But there should be a rubber plug in the differential casing. If you pop the plug out and the oil comes out, that means you have enough.

You can either check it on a lift or crawl under the car. If you pop the plug and there is no oil coming out, you might wanna add some oil.

You can use gear oil.... I am pretty sure the label on it says 85W Gear Oil.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!! Yes Lexus does send you a new owners manual for free. It didn't have any specific info about the differential oil but is was still good to get. I went to the maintenance forum and someone in there had a pic of the process. There are two Hex screws, upper to fill lower to drain. It was really easy!! Thanks again