About My Engine Coolant...

1991LS400

Hey guys,

I drove my 91 LS 400 for about 15 minutes this morning. After I parked it, I had left it alone for about 3-4 hours. When I came back to my car I had opened up my hood to look at something when I noticed that my engine coolant reservoir was empty. However, there is a line that states the level it should be at when the engine is cool (or cold). I turned my car on and all of a sudden a bunch of engine coolant came back into the reservoir and was almost up to that "cold" line.

Is this normal? Why does my instinct say its not?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Brian Styles

Hey guys,

I drove my 91 LS 400 for about 15 minutes this morning.  After I parked it, I had left it alone for about 3-4 hours.  When I came back to my car I had opened up my hood to look at something when I noticed that my engine coolant reservoir was empty.  However, there is a line that states the level it should be at when the engine is cool (or cold).  I turned my car on and all of a sudden a bunch of engine coolant came back into the reservoir and was almost up to that "cold" line.

Is this normal?  Why does my instinct say its not?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks guys.

Brian Styles

You better add some when it's cold again, and watch for leaks.

So does it sound like my engine coolant reservoir shouldn't have been empty when my car wasn't running? And if my engine coolant was to be leaking, where would it leak out of? I have a brand new radiator by the way.

Brian Styles

If you have a new radiator there may be some air pockets in the cooling system which should work itself out. Keep checking the coolant level & adding until the air pockets are gone. Some models have a bleeder screw so that you can bleed the system. Run the engine, open up the screw, you may not see coolant flow out for a minute. Close the screw when coolant comes out & your done.

If the cooling system is running normally, you should see the fluid level in the resevoir recovery tank (it should have 2 levels.....one for 'cold' & one for 'hot'). Add some coolant (and proper water mixture.....usually 50/50) & keep your eye on it for a week or so. If it disappears, something is not right as you could have a possible leak somewhere. When was the last time you did an engine coolant flush? :unsure:

:cheers:

I'm just worried about filling it up while the reservoir is low and then when I turn on my car I'm worried about it overflowing or busting or something. I just recently looked up under my car at a friend's shop and we inspected inside the engine and out and we did not see any leaks at all or any residue. So why would my reservoir be empty when the engine had not been run for 3 or 4 hours? When I start up my car, however, it does go to the hot line. So anymore ideas guys? I'm appreciating all the feedback. THANK YOU ALL!

Brian Styles

Couple of things to think about:

Has your radiator cap, thermostat and thermostat gasket ever been changed? With exact factory original replacements? And was the thermostat installed with the jiggle valve in the 12:00 noon position?

Couple of things to think about:

Has your radiator cap, thermostat and thermostat gasket ever been changed? With exact factory original replacements? And was the thermostat installed with the jiggle valve in the 12:00 noon position?

I have no idea of what you were asking me just now. How can those things you mentioned affect the level of my engine coolant and how can I fix them?

Brian Styles

The red coolant from Toyota/Lexus dealership. Since I've had the car I have not flushed the coolant system or replaced the thermostat. My engine heat level reads normal on my cluster board. I don't know if my mechanic flushed the system when I replaced my radiator.

Brian