Lower Ball Joints, 90 Ls400

jadecuir

I'm replacing my upper control arm bushings today, and I noticed that my left lower ball joint is shot. P/N 43340-59016, Dealer price=$129.83, Napa=$114.45, the cheapest on-line is about $70, so far as I've found. I seem to recall a post on this site a few weeks ago, where somebody found balljoints for $45! Were they for the Gen I?

John

Sorry I don't have an answer about $45 lower ball joints, but I am curious to know how you determined the lower joint was "shot" ?? What specifically should I be looking at on my '91 LS400

to determine if the lower ball joints are bad? Are there any steering symptoms associated with bad lower ball joints? Thanks for any help you can provide

Sorry I don't have an answer about $45 lower ball joints, but I am curious to know how you determined the lower joint was "shot" ?? What specifically should I be looking at on my '91 LS400

to determine if the lower ball joints are bad? Are there any steering symptoms associated with bad lower ball joints?  Thanks for any help you can provide

On rough or imperfect roads, the sterring wanders alot. My upper control arm bushings were my first priority. I knew they were bad, because when I was doing a brake job I discovered it. With the wheel off, I could grab the control arm and wiggle it in and out. That's what causes the clunking sounds, when you go over bumps. After I took off the control arm on the left side this morning, I grabbed the axle assembly and pulled up on it. the lower ball joint can be wiggled up and down about an 1/8 of an inch! I didn't notice any play in the right side when I wiggled it yesterday. I'm going to check it again when I'm done with the left side.

By the way, the Upper control arm bushing replacement is a snap, compared to the timing belt/water pump job! About 2 1/2 hours per side, and mostly tedious as opposed to difficult.

John

I got my lower ball joints for about $80 a piece from irontoad.com, and saw them for slightly less at discounttoyotaparts.com - $45 seems like a really, really low price for gen 1 LBJs. If you do find them for $45, post it up, I'd love to have a line on a place that can supply parts like that.

I got my lower ball joints for about $80 a piece from irontoad.com, and saw them for slightly less at discounttoyotaparts.com - $45 seems like a really, really low price for gen 1 LBJs.  If you do find them for $45, post it up, I'd love to have a line on a place that can supply parts like that.

Yea, it does seem low. May have been an ES owner wandering off his forum.

to determine if the lower ball joints are bad? Are there any steering symptoms associated with bad lower ball joints?  Thanks for any help you can provide

On rough or imperfect roads, the sterring wanders alot. My upper control arm bushings were my first priority. I knew they were bad, because when I was doing a brake job I discovered it. With the wheel off, I could grab the control arm and wiggle it in and out. That's what causes the clunking sounds, when you go over bumps. After I took off the control arm on the left side this morning, I grabbed the axle assembly and pulled up on it. the lower ball joint can be wiggled up and down about an 1/8 of an inch! I didn't notice any play in the right side when I wiggled it yesterday. I'm going to check it again when I'm done with the left side.

By the way, the Upper control arm bushing replacement is a snap, compared to the timing belt/water pump job! About 2 1/2 hours per side, and mostly tedious as opposed to difficult.

John

Steering wandering and clunking could be Rack and Pinion and Tie Rod ends.

Clunking is gone, with new upper bushings. Tie rods feel good. Rack seems tight, and steering doesn't wander except on bumpy roads. I checked the other lower ball joint, and it's loose, also.

Checking prices with Sewell before I order a pair.

Rear Suspension feels OK, but Differential cushions need replacing. Gonna order those too.

I took my 95 LS into the Lexus dealership today for replacement of a seatbelt (free). They came back and said I needed to replace my lower ball joints. I have not noticed any rough ride or pulling in the car. I cant find lower ball joints anywhere on the net . Can anyone point me in the right direcetion to look and how much I can expect to pay. Thanks.

Clunking is gone, with new upper bushings. Tie rods feel good. Rack seems tight, and steering doesn't wander except on bumpy roads. I checked the other lower ball joint, and it's loose, also.

Checking prices with Sewell before I order a pair.

Rear Suspension feels OK, but Differential cushions need replacing. Gonna order those too.

ok, just checking. good to know where it stands.

the ball joints arent difficult at all. 2-3 hrs per side tops.

I took my 95 LS into the Lexus dealership today for replacement of a seatbelt (free). They came back and said I needed to replace my lower ball joints. I have not noticed any rough ride or pulling in the car.

At the 60,000 or 90,000 mile services, Lexus dealers everywhere seem to be telling LS400 owners they need new lower ball joints. One dealer tried that with me even though my car has no play in the steering and and the car tracks securely even over bumpy surfaces. I know actual suspension wear must be minimal because the car has always been driven gently and almost always on smooth roads.

I took my 95 LS into the Lexus dealership today for replacement of a seatbelt (free). They came back and said I needed to replace my lower ball joints. I have not noticed any rough ride or pulling in the car. I cant find lower ball joints anywhere on the net . Can anyone point me in the right direcetion to look and how much I can expect to pay. Thanks.

http://www.discounttoyotaparts.com

the ball joints can be had on this site for $71.99 a piece. so $145ish for parts.

Thanks for the replies. I have already checked http://www.discounttoyotaparts.com and they dont seem to carry ball joints for genII unless Im overlooking them. Anywhere else to look?

They are listed under collision parts for that year...

Ball joint Right 95-97 $65.42

its # 11

8906175.gif

www.olyonline.com has them for 44.19 ea.  I saw another thread a few weeks back and took note of the recommendation.  Another option!  Have a good one.

Ordered the pair from olyonline this morning, be here next week! Thanks! I knew I saw that price somewhere!

John

Holy mother! Those are low prices. What's the deal with this place? It's almost kind of sketchy, they're so cheap. Definitely bump this thread when you get the stuff in, would you?

<shameless self promotion>

Also, jadecuir - in case you need it, I posted a lower ball joint how-to for gen-1 LS400s in the how-to section.

</shameless self promotion>

I didn't notice any steering problem before I replaced the ball joints.  Oh yes, they were shot with ~1/16" play in them.

Maybe I should explain my situation, so you understand how this car got so bad. We ( my son and I) bought the car in 2003 from a Lexus salesman. It was his personal car, and he had a lot of dealer service records. At the time, I believe it had a little over 200K on the odometer. My son had been driving my vintage '81 toyota PU since getting his license, and this was a graduation/off to college gift/loan. I paid the cash, he's supposed to do well in school, or pay me back, his choice. Well, he didn't/coudn't/wouldn't do either, and he lost his license for excessive speeding.

All his maintenance money was going to various PD's around the state.

I took the car back, put it in Sacramento for my airport beater, ( I commute by air from Salinas, 114 nm south) and the affair began. Now, the lexus is my bad weather commuter, and my '00 Toyota 4WD PU is my airport beater!

Here's what I've repaired so far:

hood struts - ebay - $80 (actually, free, 'cause the guy sent TWO pairs, and I sold the extra)

Radio - ebay - $50

CD changer - ebay - $66

Woofer - ebay - $40 (aftermarket)

Waterpump/timing belt/Idler pulleys - ebay - $165

Heater valve - dealer - $110 (damn!)

Daizen Bushing set/front - TM engrg - $100

I haven't spent much, as , with 271,000 plus miles, there is not much resale value. But it is a truly enjoyable ride, and WAY too nice to abandon.

www.olyonline.com has them for 44.19 ea.   I saw another thread a few weeks back and took note of the recommendation.  Another option!  Have a good one.

Ordered the pair from olyonline this morning, be here next week! Thanks! I knew I saw that price somewhere!

John

Please be sure to return to this forum and let us know how the parts work out. I just bought a pair of lower ball joints for my 94 LS400 for $79 each (www.newlexusparts.com). I had heard of the $45 ball joints as well, but I couldn't find them when I was looking. My ball joints came from a Lexus dealer and they were packaged in "Genuine Toyota" packing. Also, the sight lists the part number as the OE number that most other sites list it as. When I went to olyonline.com, the part number wasn't the same. I hope they turn out to be OE parts, because I'll buy any parts I need in the future from them.

I received mine today, and the each box has the lexus "logo" on it. I'm not sure what the packaging looks like from the dealer, but I opened both boxes and they seem nicely packaged (lubricated in sealed clear plastic bags).

I plan on installing next weekend. We'll see how it goes. I had read of others using these prior and based on the thread felt comfortable ordering. So far so good.

• 6 months later...

Jadecuir and JacobL - How are your new ball joints working out? Any issues? I will be ordering these soon and see they are still available at olyonline.com at a great price. Their part numbers don't seem to match up with OEM and some of their other part prices are high, but I haven't found a lower price on the ball joints anywhere. Thx.

Hi,

Received my lower ball joints from olyonline.com

Well packaged ! Does anybody know if there is any difference between LH and RH? They look the same to me.

TIA

VH

03 X5 4.4

99 ML320

91 LS400

92 Prelude 4WSi

91 Galant LS