Security System

I recently inherited my wife's 91 LS400 - she upgraded to a 96LS400 with 70K & drives like brand new (all for $11K)! Anyway, I put new temp control lcd, tires, plugs, wires, drive belt, timing belt, etc. on in the last few weeks and the car is running great. However, occassionally when unlocking the driver's door with the key the alarm goes off and apparently makes the key inoperable in the ignition. I had to relock drivers door, unlock passenger door before car would start. Can the security system be disabled? If so, is it difficult to do or is it a fuse, etc.? If not, is there a fix for the problem? Any help on this appreciated. B)

You might check the operation of your drivers door courtesy light switch, does the door ajar light on the instrument cluster come on all the time when you open the door? On my 93, I had an intermittent courtesy light switch and it made the alarm come on a couple of times when the wife was driving the car. Freaked her out. I cleaned the switch about 1 1/2 years ago and no problems since.

Steve:

Wanted to ask you if there is any delay from when you unlock the doors using the remote and you openning the door?

Also, does the car chirp/beep at all?

mine does the same thing. Turn the key and the alarm goes off without even opening the door. I have resigned myself to only unlock from the passenger side. Now my key wont even tumble on the drivers side and the lock is loose. I have to pull the driver side panel off and see what is going on, tried it once and got to the destruct phase and quit. Someone here will help us.

Steve:

Wanted to ask you if there is any delay from when you unlock the doors using the remote and you openning the door?

Also, does the car chirp/beep at all?

There is no "beep" or "Chirp" when using the remote (remote key has to be very close to window to operate, even then is intermittent - have replaced battery) there is a delay when remote does work - I honestly don't recall if the 91 ever did chirp.

It has been awhile since I last worked on LS alarm system but I recall there is a switch in the door lock/unlock mechanism to tell the alarm system that the lock has been unlocked by the key so the alarm would not get activated. Might look into that switch.