Oil Filter

lexdog

Im looking to change the oil in my 01 Rx300 today but I cant seem to locate the oil filter ??? Does anyboy know were abouts were its located ...top bottom ..???

Front of engine, below exhaust manifold, about in line with and aft of right (passenger side) radiator fan.

The oil filter is right above the front crossmember & exhaust pipe.  I would cover the exhaust pipe with rags & be sure spray down the residual oil that usually gets into the crossmember.  Hope this helps.

HOLLLLYY CRAPP !!! The oil filter is hard to get too !!! You got have a go go gadget arm to get to it !!!

If there anybody out there like me that likes to change there own oil and not some punk teenager at !@#$LUBE. :geek: Then your in for some work on a RX300.

The Oild drain part is easy same as on any other vehicle. Find the bolt, drain the oil, replace bolt. :D

But the oil filter .... I swear If got my hands on the engineers who decited the location :chairshot:

If you look at your engine you should see a bronze looking pipes (exhaust manifold) toward the front of the engine, near the passenger side radaitor fan. The oil filter is located under the manifold. Remember the manifold gets extrememly hot and will fry the !@#$ of your skin. :censored:

Only a cap type oil filter wrench will work forget the old style the one looks like a big loop on the and of a handle.

Once you've gotten the oil filter loose try getting it out from under the manifold with out spiling the oil ....the space between the radiator fan and the manifold isent wide enough. You cant remove it from the bottom of the rx300 cause theres a plastic cover... so you have to reach as far as your can into the engine slide the filter accross the engine to the driverside of the engine and theres barly enough space to pull it up from bottom. :angry:

This is crazy. Anybody else had changed there oil lately ??? :censored:

The oil filter location on the RX is not unusual at all. It located underneath the exhaust manifold on MANY MILLIONS of other front wheel drive Toyotas. Not just recently, but going back into the 1980's.

A simple solution to avoid burned hands and arms is to let the motor oil drain for

an hour or two (or even overnight) before attempting oil filter removal.

You cant remove it from the bottom of the rx300 cause theres a plastic cover.

All Toyotas / Lexuses are equipped with plastic engine undercovers. On many models it's necessary or at least helpful to remove this cover when performing routine maintenance like changing the oil filter.

After removing the plastic panel as stated above, wait for just 30 minutes. Place an oil pan below the oil filter. Then slowly unscrew the oil filter only as far as is necessary to start a slow oil flow fom the filter. The oil draining from the filter will fall into a small well directly below the filter that is incorporated into a bracket. If the well comes close to overflowing, you can control the oil flow by how far out you unscrew the filter so the well does not overflow. The oil draining into the well will drain out of the well through a small hole at the bottom. When the oil is finished draining, you can the completely remove the filter.

I agree that it's a lousy filter placement but you'll get used to it. I've worked on worse. My long arms (I'm 6'7") help but my huge hands don't have much room to work once I get them there. Ensuring that your engine compartment (and oil) is cool is a definite requirement for this vehicle. You'll get better at it every time you change your oil.

Speaking of lousy oil filter placement, years ago I owned a Suburu Justy (now extinct), the oil filter is situated such that you have to remove some AC plumbing to get to it; even the quickie lube places refuse my business, I had to take it to the Suburu dealer every time to get an oil change.

At the other end of the spectrum, my last vehicle was a Jeep Cherokee, the filter is easily accessed from the hood, and draining doesn't require raising the car because of the high clearance. Oil change was a 10 minute job.

I haven't looked around the engine on my '05 RX330 yet, but from what some of you are saying learning to change the oil might be a new challenge.

Yep, those Grand Cherokees are set up beautifully for self-maintenance. I enjoy working on my daughter's current 2000, and how I miss my wife's 1996 that I reluctantly sold when she caught Lexus fever (of which she's now been cured). Those two Grand Cherokees together gave me an insignificant amount of trouble compared to my wife's current 2000 RX300. I have a feeling that there will be another Grand Cherokee in our garage by late 2006 when her RX runs its depreciation course and gets booted out of our household....

• 2 months later...

Forewarned, the oil filter wrench that fits the FRAM 3614 replacement filter is too large for the Lexus factory filter. Its snug but still slips enough you can't remove the factory filter.

After an hour of trying I'm going to test the good old customer service at the dealer and have them loosen the darn thing.

:cries:

The best oil filter wrench for this vehicle that I've found is an all-metal spring-loaded cap that fits onto your 3/8-drive socket wrench. It's made by Lisle, the part number is 63600, and I bought it at my local Pep Boys a couple of years ago for between ten and twelve bucks.

Given the terrible location of this particular oil filter placement, this Lisle cap wrench always gives me the best chance of getting the damn thing off without busting up my hands too much. I've done it enough now that it's a five-minute job for me these days. But I still don't forgive Lexus for placing this particular filter under the exhaust manifold with almost no room to work your hands.

Get yourself one of these cap wrenchs and you'll curse a lot less during your future oil and filter changes. My neighbors can't automatically tell that I'm changing the oil in my wife's RX anymore because my driveway has become a lot quieter when I'm doing so....