What Are Good And Best Tires?

mikek753

Hello,

I know that 16" Brigestone Turanza aren't the best tires.

But which are?

Which are good and don't cost a lot and which one are the best?

What do you think?

Does it need to be directional tire?

thanks.

Hello,

I know that 16"  Brigestone Turanza aren't the best tires.

But which are?

What do you think?

thanks.

you might as well hear it from me- you need to do a search as this thread has been covered over and over again in the past.

Yes please, search all the forums for this info. There are several, huge threads on this topic.

Whenyou do, search for Falken Ziex ZE-512. you will get my opinion on these tires in the first thread or 2. :)

Hello,

But which are?

What do you think?

thanks.

It is more like personal preference. Example, I like Michelin Pilot Power for my GSXR but some like Dunlap 202 or Avon 45...

Just do some homework and go from there.

Hello,

But which are?

What do you think?

thanks.

We need more specific info......what is the exact tire size, what is important to you in a tire? IE: do you want long mileage with a quiet ride?, all season or summer, excellent wet weather performance........perhaps snow? the more specific you can be, the better choices we can suggest.

You are correct however......there are a lot better choices out therethan the Bridgestone's. B)

:cheers:

We need more specific info......what is the exact tire size, what is important to you in a tire? IE: do you want long mileage with a quiet ride?, all season or summer, excellent wet weather performance........perhaps snow?  the more specific you can be, the better choices we can suggest. 

You are correct however......there are a lot better choices out therethan the Bridgestone's.  B)

tire 16"

I'm in CA, no snow, rain 1 - 2 months only, 90% summer, so I may say summer touring tires

priority:

1. quiet ride

2. long mileage

3. wet weather - just in case

Thanks

I like my Toyos, although I think they're developing some noise as they age but it might be my imagination. They're also quite poor in the snow.

From my experience Michelin probably makes a tire with the best all around features, a good combo of longevity, ride and noise, and handling but you've got to pay for it.

For ride I have to say the Dunlop SP Sport 4000 and 5000 are some of the softest riding tires I've seen, but the treadlife is short.

You are correct however......there are a lot better choices out therethan the Bridgestone's.   B)

Thank you for saving me from my own ignorance lexus freak! i LOVE my falkens!!!!

Glad your enjoying them Army! B) Happy to have been able to assist. B)

Mike, what is the size on the sidewall? IE: 215 60 16 ? B) Give me the exact size & I can suggest the best for your car. Or what year ES are you considering? :unsure:

SW, I agree that the TPT's are not the greatest in the snow, but I do know they are much better than any Bridgestone or Firestone 'touring tire' that one can put on the ES. One of the best tires I've had in heavy rain & they are a pleasure to drive to Florida on. We must remember, the TPT's 'primary' function is not snow & ice traction.......I've driven on A LOT worse then the Toyo's. :)

I respectively disagree that Michelin has the BEST all round features in their tires, they are very good yes (one of the best), but it's hard to name the 'Best' over all tire maker due to the number of categories tires are available (IE: touring, regular all season, summer, UHPAS, winter etc). Let me put it this way with one good example, the Falkens I suggest & highly praise trump the Michelin MXV4+ hands down.....with the same treadwear, better traction in all weather conditions & they cost some 30%+ less per tire.

No knock to Michelin, they are fantastic with certain tires & I couldn't agree more that if you want them......your gonna have to pay for em. B) ;)

my OEM tires are P215/60R16 94V

I'm not sure I need V speed as I'm not riding higher then 80 MPH (pick)

even T has to be fine - again IMO

I don't need tire for all whether - no snow, some rain, but not much

Road noise and confort are top of the list.

I've checked tirerack and I see that OEM Turanza E33(30) doesn't have good reviews

in opposit Turanza LS is high rated.

Does HydroEdge has less road noise then Turanza or other? Or that just marketing?

thanks all.

my OEM tires are  P215/60R16 94V

I'm not sure I need V speed as I'm not riding higher then 80 MPH (pick)

even T has to be fine - again IMO

I don't need tire for all whether - no snow, some rain, but not much

Road noise and confort are top of the list.

I've checked tirerack and I see that OEM Turanza E33(30) doesn't have good reviews

in opposit Turanza LS is high rated.

Does HydroEdge has less road noise then Turanza or other? Or that just marketing?

thanks all.

IF your willing to go to a T speed rated (I agree with you that you should have no problems from the info you have shared & what your specifically looking for in a tire), I'd go hands down with the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread: A better choice than the Hydroedge with the same treadwear of 80,000 miles, better traction & less cost. B)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

You can also check them out at WWW.GOODYEARASSURANCE.COM

An all season tire will be the quietest riding tire over any summer choice.

The other suggestions I have is the Falken Ziez ZE-512 which in your size does come in an H speed rating which is one below the V. Good for 60,000 miles.

http://www.falkentire.com/tires_512.htm

There is a chart link below that has the Falken coming in first place overall of 18 high performance all season tires. B)

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...ighlight=Falken

Finally the Yokohama Avid H4S. Based on what you have requested, first choice is the Triple Tread, followed VERY closely with the Falkens. B)

I am not suggesting the Toyo Proxes TPT's simply because in that size, only a V speed rating is available. ;)

Keep us posed & good luck! B) ;)

thank you for the answer.

based on tirerack reviews - Assurance ComforTred is cheaper and "better" then Assurance TripleTred. Assurance TripleTred is directional - does it make those tires better? Again that only based on reviews, I can't compare it as apple to apple :(

Sears sells Falken in my area only. Does it include free life time rotation / balancing? As Costco does for HydroEdge for example in case tires bought from Costco.

Also at Costco twice / year is $60 off coupon, which brings HydroEdge to the price of Assurance TripleTred or even less.

Free rotation / balancing is another key factor for me.

About Consumer Report - I don't see there HydroEdge :unsure:

Also based on my knowlege on PC and laptops and Monitors I don't "understand" CR reviews for those products at all - as they didn't compare important things at all (HDD seek and transfer speed, RAM transfer, Video Card type and performance, Monitors dot pitch and black to white rate 8ms 16ms or 20ms or higher, etc.). Just hope that CR has better knowlege of cars and tires.

Any explains why Turanza LS so high rated on both CR and tirerack?

It's kinda bad we can't find real numbers for road noise in db - for example the same car that was driven 10 times with 10 new diff. tires and then another 10 times with same tires, but with 20,000ml old.

Thanks.

First of all, the suspension of the car is designed for it to ride on V rated tires. The speed rating does mean the speed the tires are capable of handling but it also has to do with the stiffness of the sidewall. That effects stability, ride, handling, etc. In my opinion putting T rated tires on a car designed for Vs is a mistake and unsafe. Hs you can get away with, but I still wouldn't. Poke around the forum and look for VMFs post about finally replacing the missuited T rated tires on his LS with proper Vs and how much it improved the car.

SW, I agree that the TPT's are not the greatest in the snow, but I do know they are much better than any Bridgestone or Firestone 'touring tire' that one can put on the ES. One of the best tires I've had in heavy rain & they are a pleasure to drive to Florida on. We must remember, the TPT's 'primary' function is not snow & ice traction.......I've driven on A LOT worse then the Toyo's.

The Toyos are the worst tires I have ever driven on in the snow, the Bridgestone Re92s I had previously were better. They took what was a pretty good snow car and made it dangerous to drive, there's no excuse for that. These tires should not be considered M+S rated, they're really summer tires.

I respectively disagree that Michelin has the BEST all round features in their tires, they are very good yes (one of the best), but it's hard to name the 'Best' over all tire maker due to the number of categories tires are available (IE: touring, regular all season, summer, UHPAS, winter etc). Let me put it this way with one good example, the Falkens I suggest & highly praise trump the Michelin MXV4+ hands down.....with the same treadwear, better traction in all weather conditions & they cost some 30%+ less per tire.

But how do you know unless you have the same tires on the same vehicle back to back? I've ridden in several cars lately that have the MXV4s and the new MXV4S8s and I find them quieter than my TPTs. The TPTs have a drone at low speeds that the Michelins don't have, they're probably about the same on the highway.

In my opinion Michelin is like Sony. Yes, they're the most expensive, and no they may not be the best in every category but you can guarantee they'll be in uniformly the best spots and be in the top 5-1%. Other tire lines are more of a crap shoot.

I havent seen or ridden on the Falkens, but they look way to aggressive for the ES to me. I dont see how they can be quieter than something benign like the Michelins. As for the TripleTread and Comfortread I think they're probably good tires, but I dont think they're suited to the ES.

My next set of tires, which will be soon if this low speed droning gets worse and definately before next winter will be Michelin MXV4 S8s or maybe a set of Yoko AVS dB S2s.

what effects gas economy?

Why some people wrote that after they went with another tire brand they got better or worse MPG?

Does performance tires provides better MPG then touring? Or vs.?

so many factors with tires ... .

thanks

The Toyos are the worst tires I have ever driven on in the snow, the Bridgestone Re92s I had previously were better. They took what was a pretty good snow car and made it dangerous to drive, there's no excuse for that. These tires should not be considered M+S rated, they're really summer tires.

But how do you know unless you have the same tires on the same vehicle back to back? I've ridden in several cars lately that have the MXV4s and the new MXV4S8s and I find them quieter than my TPTs. The TPTs have a drone at low speeds that the Michelins don't have, they're probably about the same on the highway.

In my opinion Michelin is like Sony. Yes, they're the most expensive, and no they may not be the best in every category but you can guarantee they'll be in uniformly the best spots and be in the top 5-1%. Other tire lines are more of a crap shoot.

I havent seen or ridden on the Falkens, but they look way to aggressive for the ES to me. I dont see how they can be quieter than something benign like the Michelins. As for the TripleTread and Comfortread I think they're probably good tires, but I dont think they're suited to the ES.

I have to disagree with the Bridgestone's vs Toyo opinion.....but we've been over that one already. Overall they have served me & my ES well in the winter save for two minor incidents......but one was my fault & the other.....well, I can't really complain about an all season tire on ice. B)

The Falkens are not too aggressive for an ES (they come in H & V rated......some sizes it's your choice of the either). If you look at the Consumer Reports evaluation, the Michelin MXV4 was also compared.....does that mean they are too aggressive? Not to mention all the tests were done on a Honda Accord so it can't be that aggressive. I can buy almost 2 Falkens for the price of 1 Michelin & it's higer rated than the Michelin in the CR test to boot. Check the comparo chart again if you like. ;) Also, the Toyo is classified as a 'Touring performance tire all season, the Bridgestone RE 92 a high performance tire (there is a difference) hence the treadwear ratings of 160 for the Bridgestone & 400 for the Toyo. The Bridgestone RE 92 never even made it on the CR ratings list.

The Michelin & the Toyo have the same snow ratings.......the Toyo falls down if you will on ice braking (and ice handling) which I concur with CR's findings.......so the M+S rating is appropreate in this case. ;)

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...ighlight=Falken

The Triple Treads (H speed rated) will suite the ES just fine.........as it's only one speed limit below the V.......I too am weary of going down more than that one speed rating personally. But to each their own. B)

thank you for the answer.

based on tirerack reviews - Assurance ComforTred is cheaper and "better" then Assurance TripleTred. Assurance TripleTred is directional - does it make those tires better? Again that only based on reviews, I can't compare it as apple to apple  :(

Sears sells Falken in my area only. Does it include free life time rotation / balancing? As Costco does for HydroEdge for example in case tires bought from Costco.

Also at Costco twice / year is $60 off coupon, which brings HydroEdge to the price of Assurance TripleTred or even less.

Free rotation / balancing is another key factor for me.

About Consumer Report - I don't see there HydroEdge  :unsure:

Also based on my knowlege on PC and laptops and Monitors I don't "understand" CR reviews for those products at all - as they didn't compare important things at all (HDD seek and transfer speed, RAM transfer, Video Card type and performance, Monitors dot pitch and black to white rate 8ms 16ms or 20ms or higher, etc.). Just hope that CR has better knowlege of cars and tires.

Any explains why Turanza LS so high rated on both CR and tirerack?

It's kinda bad we can't find real numbers for road noise in db - for example the same car that was driven 10 times with 10 new diff. tires and then another 10 times with same tires, but with 20,000ml old.

Thanks.

Stay away from the Comfortread, it's not the same tire as the Triple Tread.......Comfortread is for Buick Lesabre or Crown Vic as it's quite a soft (almost too soft) and mushy tire......the Triple Treads are Goodyears 'Flagship' premium all season & your correct, the Hydroedge was not in the comparo......it is not considered a 'High performance all season' tire, & the Triple Treads were not out yet when the evaluation was performed.

Cost is only one factor in your tire decision, I put that lower on my list as safety & performance are more important IMO......Do some more shopping with actual tire dealers before you make your decision, but expert tire dealers will tell you (hopefully they carry both the GY & Michelin) that the Triple Tread is the better tire. Look closely at the treads (they look close to the naked eye, but the GY is more aggressive for wet weather performance).

Because of past experence, I just plain stay away from Bridgestone/Firestone tires all together.......safety is not the companies number 1 priority (the Ford Explorer fiascio is proof of that). B) ;)

As for your other posting about MPG.....it has to do with the design of the tire & what is called "rolling resistance" The better the rolling resistance, the better fuel economy of the car. I know the Falken's are quite good (check the CR info).

Bottom Line once again If you want the very best tire, & I base that on the specific information you mentioned, your best choices are either the Falken Ziex ZE-512 OR the Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads. Goodyears will be more expensive, but then again, they have an 80,000 mile treadwear vs the Falken's 60,000 mile treadwear & the Falkens have the higher speed rating. B)

Thank you very much for all that info.

Would you mind give me more info about "rolling resistance"? Please.

Where I can get that info to compare tires based on "rolling resistance"?

What is "rolling resistance" for TripleTred and Falken and Turanza ER?

How "rolling resistance" correlates to "road noise"? Any dependancy from one to another?

p.s. I don't plan ride on snow or ice unless I go in Ice Arena :geek:

please, correct me:

1. Performance (or high performance) tire == higher "rolling resistance"

2. higher "rolling resistance" == lower MPG

3. higher "rolling resistance" == more road noise

4. higher "rolling resistance" == better breaking

5. higher "rolling resistance" == less treadlife

in that case the lowest road noise tires == unsafe :cries:

Thank you very much for all that info.

Would you mind give me more info about "rolling resistance"? Please.

Where I can get that info to compare tires based on "rolling resistance"?

What is "rolling resistance" for TripleTred and Falken and Turanza ER?

How "rolling resistance" correlates to "road noise"? Any dependancy from one to another?

p.s. I don't plan ride on snow or ice unless I go in Ice Arena  :geek:

The rolling resistance for the Falken's are on the CR comparo chart.

Not 100% sure what the rolling resistance is on the Triple Treads, however my Dad has them on his car & has commented on how much better gas mileage he is getting than the old Generals that came with the car. Based on the way the tire is designed, I'd say they are at least slightly above average. B)

Here is a link from Tirerack explaining about rolling resistance. B)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/gen.../resistance.jsp

Hope this is of help ;)

The Falkens are not too aggressive for an ES (they come in H & V rated......some sizes it's your choice of the either). If you look at the Consumer Reports evaluation, the Michelin MXV4 was also compared.....does that mean they are too aggressive? Not to mention all the tests were done on a Honda Accord so it can't be that aggressive. I can buy almost 2 Falkens for the price of 1 Michelin & it's higer rated than the Michelin in the CR test to boot. Check the comparo chart again if you like.  Also, the Toyo is classified as a 'Touring performance tire all season, the Bridgestone RE 92 a high performance tire (there is a difference) hence the treadwear ratings of 160 for the Bridgestone & 400 for the Toyo. The Bridgestone RE 92 never even made it on the CR ratings list.

I'm just going on their look, but who knows. Maybe I'll try em out next time.

As for the RE92s, I'm not saying they're a good tire, they're a horrible tire. But they were better in the snow than my Toyos. All the consumer reports in the world won't take the place of my own firsthand opinion having experienced both tires on the same car in the snow. The Toyos made my car positively undrivable in the snow where I got around well on the Bridgestones.

Bottom Line once again If you want the very best tire, & I base that on the specific information you mentioned, your best choices are either the Falken Ziex ZE-512 OR the Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads. Goodyears will be more expensive, but then again, they have an 80,000 mile treadwear vs the Falken's 60,000 mile treadwear & the Falkens have the higher speed rating.

You said the SAME thing about the Toyos last year when I bought them ;)

More and more I just think this car is better on Ultra High Performance tires than Touring tires.

The Falkens are not too aggressive for an ES (they come in H & V rated......some sizes it's your choice of the either). If you look at the Consumer Reports evaluation, the Michelin MXV4 was also compared.....does that mean they are too aggressive? Not to mention all the tests were done on a Honda Accord so it can't be that aggressive. I can buy almost 2 Falkens for the price of 1 Michelin & it's higer rated than the Michelin in the CR test to boot. Check the comparo chart again if you like.  Also, the Toyo is classified as a 'Touring performance tire all season, the Bridgestone RE 92 a high performance tire (there is a difference) hence the treadwear ratings of 160 for the Bridgestone & 400 for the Toyo. The Bridgestone RE 92 never even made it on the CR ratings list.

I'm just going on their look, but who knows. Maybe I'll try em out next time.

As for the RE92s, I'm not saying they're a good tire, they're a horrible tire. But they were better in the snow than my Toyos. All the consumer reports in the world won't take the place of my own firsthand opinion having experienced both tires on the same car in the snow. The Toyos made my car positively undrivable in the snow where I got around well on the Bridgestones.

Bottom Line once again If you want the very best tire, & I base that on the specific information you mentioned, your best choices are either the Falken Ziex ZE-512 OR the Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads. Goodyears will be more expensive, but then again, they have an 80,000 mile treadwear vs the Falken's 60,000 mile treadwear & the Falkens have the higher speed rating.

You said the SAME thing about the Toyos last year when I bought them ;)

More and more I just think this car is better on Ultra High Performance tires than Touring tires.

At the time I bought my Toyo's, I did not know the Falkens' even existed, & the Triple Treads were not on the market yet & looking back if I was in the same situation, I still would have gone with the Toyo's. ;) There are better tires on the market now to be sure, that's why I suggest them to many members now over the TPT's. I don't quite share your views about them being undrivable in the snow.....but in certain winter, they did make me a bit nervous. I've said it before, that no tire today (especially an all season) does everything that we would like them to do in every weather condition.......but that's the compromise by not using winter rubber when conditions warrant. I am like you sw, for the handful of bad winter storms, I have a hard time justifing the investment on a second set of wheels & tires.

I respect your views that the Bridgestones that you feel they were better in snow than the Toyo's.......having had them on my previous car as factory equipment for 2 years, I don't even come close to agreeing with you (they are simply pathetic) as I got stuck twice when I had them in light snow.......two winters with the Toyos, including large dumps of over 8" & never been stuck once (It actually seems like a moot point IMO to comment on the Bridgestones about winter performance when they were an adventure to drive on even with light drizzle or a mist in the warm months especially hydroplaining & wet braking, never mind when the temperature dropped below freezing). I would have rather have bald Toyo's then the Bridgestones any day & sent a rather unpleasant letter to Bridgestone Canada expressing my concerns which of course fell of deaf ears. But two each their own. ;)

But again though, thats a different car. Did that car have all the sophisticated traction and skid equipment your Lexus has? I've experienced both tires on the SAME car, and the difference in snow handling is astonishing.

But again though, thats a different car. Did that car have all the sophisticated traction and skid equipment your Lexus has? I've experienced both tires on the SAME car, and the difference in snow handling is astonishing.

My Maxima did have all speed electronic traction control yes, ABS, & a different kind of skid control feature. I find it astonishing that so many auto makers use that tire (RE 92's) on vehicles that roll off the assembly line. :rolleyes: :chairshot: :blink: