95 Es300 Starter Prob ?

95 es300 starter prob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my 95 es sometimes just clicks when you try to start. after a few trys it starts no prob, but it is getting worse. how hard is it to replace starter on this car? I beleive the solenoid and starter are one piece? Any pics ?

thanks

post-11467-1112735029_thumb.jpg

remove the starter and buy a toyota startet rebuild kit with new bushings and the main thing is the contacts

or just clean the old ones

thanks SK. how hard is it to remove the starter? any tips?

no tips never needed to do it on mine.

A bad battery is also somethign to check as well as the cables to the battery and starter as when they age and break down they create increased resistance causing lower power and it makes the solenoid slip back a bit and makes the voltage arc over the contacts leaving carbon trails behind which over time build up bigger and bigger multiplying themselves. This makes the problem alot worse unless fixed .

Changing the wires alone is an amazing difference alone.

I changed the starter on my '92 before. I would imagine it is pretty much the same thing. There are only two bolts holding it on. Sometimes it is a little hard to get at them, because of the tight squeeze so you might want to use an air ratchet if you have it. I'm pretty sure you will need to take out the entire airbox assembly. It took a little time getting the starter around the hoses and everything, but it eventually came out. I just replaced mine with a Toyota Camry starter from Checker Auto Parts. Never had any problems with it. Also check the terminals on your battery and make sure they are not corroded. Sometimes that will cause the problem you are having.

no tips never needed to do it on mine.

A bad battery is also somethign to check as well as the cables to the battery and starter as when they age and break down they create increased resistance causing lower power and it makes the solenoid slip back a bit and makes the voltage arc over the contacts leaving carbon trails behind which over time build up bigger and bigger multiplying themselves. This makes the problem alot worse unless fixed .

Changing the wires alone is an amazing difference alone.

Thanks- I replaced both terminals and battery is fairly recent. Are the power wires you speak of just bolt on? which ones do I buy?

Get them changed at a stereo shop but you seem handy so

about 2 feet of 0-1 gauge is more than you need, 2gold ring terminals for them

change the main chassis gorund under the battery tray as well ,pick your colours and it should cost about $10 for a few feet of wire and 4 gold ring terminals to attach to the original battery terminals.

• 2 weeks later...