Cpo Vs Non-cpo

I will be looking to purchase a 2002 GS430 sometime in the near future. I noticed that in general, the price difference for a CPO at a dealer vs a non-CPO at a dealer is almost $5000 (both with similar specs, except mileage...non-CPO has 15k more).

Over 3 years, is it worth paying the extra 5k for the CPO? Should one expect that a 2002 model will have around 5k worth of warranty repairs that the car would need?

Those who purchased a used GS...did you consider this? Any help/comments would help me in making my purchase decision.

thanks!

I will be looking to purchase a 2002 GS430 sometime in the near future. I noticed that in general, the price difference for a CPO at a dealer vs a non-CPO at a dealer is almost $5000 (both with similar specs, except mileage...non-CPO has 15k more).

Over 3 years, is it worth paying the extra 5k for the CPO? Should one expect that a 2002 model will have around 5k worth of warranty repairs that the car would need?

Those who purchased a used GS...did you consider this? Any help/comments would help me in making my purchase decision.

thanks!

CPO is an exceptable way to go but do you think that you will be putting 5k in the car over 3 years ? I don't think so. Just make sure that all the service records are in order on the non CPO.

If you want to avoid future high repair bills, search for a used GS that was driven gently and has a complete set of preventive maintenance service records - they are your best guarantee the vehicle has not suffered excessive mechanical wear and tear.

"CPO" vehicles may have been driven hard and may not have a complete set of preventive maintenance service records. That's why "CPO" is mostly a marketing gimmick.

If your vehicle could talk it would say "Use part of that $5,000 you saved to service me more frequently."

• 6 months later...

I had created this account, just so I could find out some more info about my mom's 1998 GS400 (which we ABSOLUTELY LOVE!), but my dad bought it for her from an auction, because his friend has a dealer's license. We got a great deal on it! It is an awesome car, and we havespent no extra charges on it besides new tires! I think that Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) is just a huge rip off!, lol, and btw, I am 14 years old... :) B) ...lol

I think a CPO car is great for a person who is short on time, has limited auto knowledge does not have a good technician to walk around car shopping with them . It also gives you a no nonsense stand with repairs as well as prior problems such as thefts, floods and structural damage.

They also choose only the dealer maintained cars to be CPO.

So again unless you know what you are looking at and most do not know how to spot structural never mind mechanical it is worth $5000 premium.

I got mine '00 GS 400 two months ago (original owner) with 70K on it for $17K and this is what i dicovered by myself doing inspection two weeks ago:

1. Upper control arm (ball joints worned) $360.00 each X2= $720.00

2. Lover control arm assembly ( rubber mounts worned) $136.00 each X2= $272.00

3. Lover ball joint (just worned) $61.00 each X2= $122.00

Total parts= $978.00=$20.00shipping= 1K

All parts are new and comes from Lexus Dealer

Labor $0.00= My tools and knowledge

After all i think investing 1K right after purchase is not that bad, trust me everything what is easy to fix (susp., brakes) it's not a big deal, Engine and Trans - thats another story

All i want to say before you make any purchase even from Lexus Dealer inspect SUSPENTION, BRAKES, ENGINE, TRANS., with your friend who knows STUFF

Good luck serching for Best "Lexus"

I bought my CPO 2002 gs300 a few months ago. For me, CPOs means saving time on searching while being able to have some peace of mind after the purchase. That, and also I am only average when accessing used cars. However, I had tested drove one CPO, and visited another, both GS430, that had problems. Both cars were pull off from the dealer's lot fairly quickly. So I guess that also means something.