Rattling In Engine Compartment, Oil Light Flickers

Hi,

My 94 ES300 with 148K miles on it is exhibiting the following symptoms:

Rattling in engine compartment

oil light goes on an off.

From my reading here and elsewhere I gather that this is probably due to

falling oil pressure.

So why is the oil pressure falling when the oil dip stick idicates oil is sufficient.

What is rattling inside the engine? (It is definitely coming from inside the engine)

AS long as I've had the car, I've changed the oil on time. The oil doesn't look bad after its been in the engine for a while.

ANYWAY anybody know of a good mahanic in AUSTIN, TEXAS.

I know JPI is available some 300 miles away, but.... anyone closer.

Thanks a bunch

p.s.

how much can I unload this clunker for now?:(

Hi,

falling oil pressure.

So why is the oil pressure falling when the oil dip stick idicates oil is sufficient.

What is rattling inside the engine? (It is definitely coming from inside the engine)

AS long as I've had the car, I've changed the oil on time. The oil doesn't look bad after its been in the engine for a while.

Thanks a bunch

p.s.

First of all, it is not a clunker, it is a Lexus. It has numerous moving parts that will fail just like any other automobile. Now, with that said, it is very possible that the oil pump has died. This sends oil to the top of the engine. I wouldn't drive it anymore till you have a reputable shop check it out. Check it out before you get rid of it. Good Luck....... ;)

Hi,

falling oil pressure.

Thanks a bunch

p.s.

First of all, it is not a clunker, it is a Lexus. It has numerous moving parts that will fail just like any other automobile. Now, with that said, it is very possible that the oil pump has died. This sends oil to the top of the engine. I wouldn't drive it anymore till you have a reputable shop check it out. Check it out before you get rid of it. Good Luck....... ;)

I agree with ford's statement. is it a LOUD persistant knock, or is it a sopfter more subdued knock. if it is the latter, it is probably just the lifters clattering from not getting enough oil, and little serious damage has resulted. if it is a loud persistant knock coming from the bottom end, its engine rebuild time.

dont drive it anywhere, its almost certian your oil pump is gone. even so much as a few blocks could ruin your engine. have it towed, dont even drive it out of your driveway.

If the oil has been changed on time, every time, then sludge is not likely a factor.

Just a thought, but if the oil light goes on and off it could have to do with the oil being OVER filled.

When there is too much oil in the pan, the counterweights on the crankshaft will be submerged a little. This causes the oil to get 'whipped' with air. When this 'whipped' oil hits the intake at the bottom of the oil pan, the air bubbles can cause the sensor to show no oil.

I know this used to happen in older cars. I am by no means an expert on new cars, but maybe this helps?!?!?! :huh:

Toyota oil pumps don't fail out of the blue. They don't hardly wear at all even after several hundred thousand miles unless starved of oil for some reason.

Take one of the valve covers off to see if sludge is present. If so, it could have clogged oil passages inside the engine. If the prior owners (s) skipped / extended some oil change intervals then sludge is a definate possibility. A sludge free Toyota engine looks like this http://www.saber.net/~monarch/valveshim.JPG

Replacement ES300 engines, both used and rebuilt are commonly available on ebay.

Honestly monarch, they can and do fail out of the blue. how many times do i have to say this. toyotas arent gods gift to cars. things go wrong on every car, ITS A *BLEEP*ING MACHINE.

What kind of warning was it supposed to give? should it speak to the driver saying, "you had better change me...Im going to go out in a few thousand miles" :rolleyes:

alsniecder, you have a point there, hoever, i dont thinkthat is the case here, as the motor is already knocking. too much oil usually keeps a motor silent as the dead until it spins a rod or main bearing.

Lexus4mk25,

a new oil pump will run you $126.55

here:

http://www.discounttoyotaparts.com/

Hi,

p.s.

Are you saying a bad oil pump sends oil to the pump?

Or that a good oil pump sends oil to the pump?

• 1 month later...

After letting the car sit in the parking lot for almost a month, I got it towed to a local shop.

The mechanic says that the engine needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

To replace it with one that has 60K miles on it would cost $3600.

The problem as I understand it is that the bearings wore out resulting in falling oil pressure (this explains the flickering oil lamp on the console, which lasted for around 3 months prior to the break down).

Sorry I can't provide better info, but he used a lot of terms I've heard before, but am unfamiliar with (lifters, crankshaft, rods).

This guy was highly recommended and he did appear to be a straight forward and decent fella.

Now the decision is whether to get this job done for the $3600 or dispose of the car.

I have two cars and need two cars, loosing this would mean getting another one that would definitely cost more than the $3600, but could be reliable for a much longer time.

If any one has gone through a similar situation please explain your decision making process? Thanks.

-M

p.s.: I just got the transmission rebuilt for $2500 and now this....:(

I'd get rid of the car. Since the prior owner ruined both the engine and transmission via maintenance neglect or abusive driving, chances are high the rest of the mechanical components of the car have alot of wear and tear as well.

If you need reliable transportation you need to find a used car that doesn't have alot of mechanical wear and tear. This means you need to find a used car that received all its scheduled preventive maintenance on time and preferably one driven gently by a middle or senior aged person.